Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Weather/Boots and Coming in Your Door
DanceMom 04:40 AM 11-15-2010
What do you do about kids coming in the front door with their boots on tracking in snow and in my case salt from the sidewalks. I have bucket for their boots but my front rug gets packed with salt that gets stuck in their boots. Its a 4x6 rug so its not the easiest to pick up myself and shake the salt off of it.

Is it rude to ask them to remove their shoes BEFORE they come in the house? in the dead of winter? Any ideas?
marniewon 05:32 AM 11-15-2010
I guess that depends - do you have an enclosed entryway? I mean, completely enclosed, so no snow/wet/salt gets on the porch? If yes, then it wouldn't be rude, I would have a spot next to the door for boots. If no, then yes, it would be rude. Socks would get wet, feet cold, if there is any snow or wet on the porch, you really can't expect anyone to take their shoes off outside.

I have the same problem here, and have not figured out how to deal with it either.
Lilbutterflie 05:43 AM 11-15-2010
I don't think taking shoes off outside would be a good solution. TOO cold!

What about a heavy duty door mat (the kind with those really thick bristles) for them to wipe their boots before they come in? I don't live in a climate with a whole lot of snow, so I don't know if one of those would get the salt off.

Do you have a tile or wood ("wet") entryway? Or is it carpet with a rug? Having some sort of "wet" entryway with tile would be good for your situation. But if you have just tile you would have to make sure they wipe their boots off well so they don't slip. It should be easy to just wipe it off.
DanceMom 06:01 AM 11-15-2010
My entry is all hardwood. Last year, the salt ruined part of the floors - turned them black on the edges and kind of ate through part of the wood. So this is what I am trying to avoid this year.

I have a very large utility rug outside the front door and then a very large rug inside the house right when you come in.... but of course trying to keep everyone to STAY on that rug is like pulling hair..they dont listen.

I guess, I have to somewhat realize..daycare is ruining my home. When I am done with daycare, I will have to do a lot of repairs.

I will just shoot an email to the parents to help control their kids entry into the house and make sure they shake their feet before coming in..
MommyMuffin 06:51 AM 11-15-2010
I have a very small foyer and I put a large rug down and almost covers the entire wood floor. I think letting the parents know to be mindful of snow and shoes is a great way to at least get them to help in your efforts.
laundrymom 08:21 AM 11-15-2010
I meet the parents at the 4x4 tile entray and say,.. OK, give me jr,.. I dont want wet socks =-) and smile. Then I sit child on my chair and remove their shoes. Placing them on a big beach towel that I keep folded large enough to hold all kids shoes. I wash towel when needed and replace.
DancingQueen 09:42 AM 11-15-2010
I had the problem with the salt ruining my floors last year too - and even worse the little crawlers can find those little pieces and eat them if you aren't careful!!!

I don't have a solution though - I'm dreading it actually because my "entry-way" is laughably small
Francine 10:26 AM 11-15-2010
I have my parents bring there kids in through the garage in the winter, most of the snow gets kicked off out in the garage. My kids are little so they get carried from the car, the snow that comes in is from the parents boots. I have a heavy duty runner that runs from the garage door to my diningroom, I meet the parents are the end of the runner so that the snow doesn't get on the floor....vinyl flooring so I don't worry about it getting ruined but I do worry about wet socks. I hate having wet socks!
Tags:carpet, cold weather, dirty shoes, winter
Reply Up