Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:44 AM
hgonzalez's Avatar
hgonzalez hgonzalez is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 190
Default Umbilical Hernias

I have a new infant in my care. She has a large, soft umbilical hernia. When she is crying it almost looks like she has another big soft lump under the hernia.

The umbilical hernia is about the size of a quarter, but the underneath part is about the size of a large marshmallow.

Do these hernias cause pain at all? She is a terrible napper and I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi! My daughter has one and it sounds like the exact appearance and size you're describing. She is 11 months old now. It has never caused her pain or discomfort. Sometimes it does appear to bulge if she is crying or laughing but it never seems to hurt. Her pediatrician examines it every time we visit and never mentions an issue with it. I wouldn't worry about it but just keep an eye on it. If it starts looking red or causes her to cry when touching it, she needs to go to the ER. Otherwise, it shouldn't pose a problem.

This is my experience and what I've been told by our pediatrician so please take it for what it's worth. I haven't actually seen the child in your care. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,037
Default

I had a little girl with one. It really scared me. It would really pop out when she threw a fit. I kept asking dcm about it, but Dr insisted it would go away on its own.

The older she got, the bigger it got.

Finally at 18 mos I told dcm it had to be repaired or she would have to find other care. The liability seemed to big for me. She had surgery two weeks later.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
Finally at 18 mos I told dcm it had to be repaired or she would have to find other care. The liability seemed to big for me. She had surgery two weeks later.
I posted above about my daughter having one. There is no liability. My daughter will have to have surgery when she's four or five to correct it if it does not correct itself, but it's mostly cosmetic.

If you're very concerned, just ask for a note from the pediatrician explaining the situation. I wouldn't rely on people in this forum who don't have any medical expertise.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Second Home's Avatar
Second Home Second Home is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,555
Default

My son had groin hernias ( both sides , though you only noticed it on one side),we first noticed it at about a month old .You could see a huge lump sometimes 4-5 inches long under his skin .Sometimes it would totally disappear only to pop back out again.

We were told that it needed to be corrected as the intestine could twist upon itself and die .

Now maybe because of the size and location made it different .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Home View Post
My son had groin hernias ( both sides , though you only noticed it on one side),we first noticed it at about a month old .You could see a huge lump sometimes 4-5 inches long under his skin .Sometimes it would totally disappear only to pop back out again.

We were told that it needed to be corrected as the intestine could twist upon itself and die .

Now maybe because of the size and location made it different .
That was my concern. When she would throw a fit it would look like a mini ping pong ball sticking out. It must have been more serious than dcm was letting on or it wouldn't have been pushed from pedi to surgeon to surgery in two weeks.

I am not offering medical advice, just my experience with one child.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2017, 12:08 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Clearly I am not a child but I get them when pregnant.
My midwives have me closely monitor it for any color changes as a brown/green-ish color means trouble and I'd need to go to the hospital immediately. They're concerned about my intestines getting trapped. Mine hurts me unless I have outward pressure pushing it back in. I'd imagine they aren't pleasant for a child but I have no idea!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2017, 12:40 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,039
Default

Umbilical hernias are common in infants and pose very little risk. They generally clear up on their own. A generation ago, doctors would put a quarter over it and tape it down to keep it in. :P This didn't seem to hasten the healing process so they discontinued the practice.

There is no liability to you. You didn't cause it. But I might ask for a note from the doctor to show due diligence.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 PM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,966
Default

I agree about getting a letter from the doctor, but they typically won't do surgery until the kid is over 5, mostly because a lot of times they resolve on their own.

My dd is 5 1/2 and it's still there but not as bad. It would get huge when she would cry! Now it's mostly flat but every once in a while it's obvious
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:41 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
I agree about getting a letter from the doctor, but they typically won't do surgery until the kid is over 5, mostly because a lot of times they resolve on their own.

My dd is 5 1/2 and it's still there but not as bad. It would get huge when she would cry! Now it's mostly flat but every once in a while it's obvious
My dcg's was not getting smaller as she grew, it was getting larger. Rarely was it flat.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:41 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I posted above about my daughter having one. There is no liability. My daughter will have to have surgery when she's four or five to correct it if it does not correct itself, but it's mostly cosmetic.

If you're very concerned, just ask for a note from the pediatrician explaining the situation. I wouldn't rely on people in this forum who don't have any medical expertise.
Having had hernias, they are quite painful at certain times. Regardless of prevalence and commonality, there IS some risk to having a hernia.

I would ask for a pediatrician's note that would list symptoms of complications for the child's file.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
Having had hernias, they are quite painful at certain times. Regardless of prevalence and commonality, there IS some risk to having a hernia.

I would ask for a pediatrician's note that would list symptoms of complications for the child's file.
This type of hernia doesn't cause pain or discomfort unless it becomes kinked or infected...then it needs surgery right away.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hernia, umbilical hernia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming