Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiting Can Be So Hard!
momofboys 07:57 AM 02-09-2011
I had previously interviewed for a nanny positon or two & got the job/s but never accepted the positions. I provide care in my home right now & didn't think they were a 100% right fit for me. My goal was/is to find a position where I could have my summers off & only work during the school year. I think my kids deserve my full attention in the summer & if I can make it work I am willing to try. Well a perfect opportunity came up & I interviewed for a nanny position this past weekend. Now I am waiting on pins & needles to find out if they have picked me. Below is my last communication with the parent. I don't think they have brushed me off but I just wish they would hurry up & make up their minds. The waiting is driving me nuts. I just hope they have the decency to e-mail me & tell me I didn't get it rather then making me wonder. BTW this e-mail was sent to me Monday night. What do you think? I forgot to mention that they need someone to start in about 1 1/2 weeks so I know it isn't an issue of trying to decide b/c they have plenty of time.

Dear Momof boys:

"It was very nice meeting you and thank you for providing the additional information. We are still discussing our decision and we will be in touch. We understand that you need to give a 2 week notice to your current family once a decision is made. "
DCMomOf3 08:18 AM 02-09-2011
the reference to your 2 week notice, to me, seems promising. If it were me, I'd go ahead and call/email asking if they have decided because you would like to give notice to your family(ies) this week if possible.
momofboys 08:21 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
the reference to your 2 week notice, to me, seems promising. If it were me, I'd go ahead and call/email asking if they have decided because you would like to give notice to your family(ies) this week if possible.

that is what I sort of thought also but then I took it the other way that b/c I ahd to give notice they would maybe go with someone else who didn't already have a client & could start quicker!
ninosqueridos 08:52 AM 02-09-2011
I take the reference to your 2 week notice as a thoughtful gesture...that they respect and understand you are running a business and would need to give you the courtesy of letting you know ahead of time. Perhaps their start date wasn't set in stone and they could work with you on a start date. Good luck!!
Cat Herder 09:04 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
that is what I sort of thought also but then I took it the other way that b/c I ahd to give notice they would maybe go with someone else who didn't already have a client & could start quicker!
I felt the same... they know it is already too late for you to give a two week notice if they would need you to start in less than two weeks.

My concern would be that they imagined themselves being given only two weeks to find alternative care, if they contracted with you, and got nervous??

I would probably email back stating something along the lines of "Thank you for getting back to me. I am concerned about your start date......." and ask if it was set in stone. Maybe even find a way of letting them know your other families knew and supported your decision to look for alternative employment while contraced with them ? YKWIM?

Not to be a downer....it just comes off that way to me and I am a Mom, first and foremost.
Little People 09:08 AM 02-09-2011
Did they ask you in the interview why you were giving up your families now?
momofboys 09:10 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I felt the same... they know it is already too late for you to give a two week notice if they would need you to start in less than two weeks.

My concern would be that they imagined themselves being given only two weeks to find alternative care, if they contracted with you, and got nervous??

I would probably email back stating something along the lines of "Thank you for getting back to me. I am concerned about your start date......." and ask if it was set in stone. Maybe even find a way of letting them know your other families knew and supported your decision to look for alternative employment while contraced with them ? YKWIM?

Not to be a downer....it just comes off that way to me and I am a Mom, first and foremost.
I already e-mailed them back stating that I appreciated the update. I don;t want to e-mail her again as I am afraid it will come off as desperate. However, I would like to explain that in my contract I don't mention a 2 week notice, only a 10 day one (counting weekends) so technically I coudl still give notice today & be done by next Friday.

The thing is they got dropped from care rather quickly so that is why they were looking for care so I wouldn't think they would do the same to someone else. Ughhh I just feel like I won't get this job since I already have one. Feeling depressed!
momofboys 09:12 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Giggles:
Did they ask you in the interview why you were giving up your families now?
Yes & the reason is b/c I have families that need care all year long & I am no longer wanting to do all-year care. It is also appealing to me b/c I can earn a lot more $$ in another person's home. This job would be til the beginning of June & then pick up again in the fall.
Little People 09:15 AM 02-09-2011
Yes & the reason is b/c I have families that need care all year long & I am no longer wanting to do all-year care. It is also appealing to me b/c I can earn a lot more $$ in another person's home. This job would be til the beginning of June & then pick up again in the fall.
Ok, I was trying to think like the lady was thinking when she was interviewing you. I thought maybe she was thinking....if she is willing to quit on her families now, what is she does'nt like us. But you reasons are understandable. Hope you get the job!!
Cat Herder 09:30 AM 02-09-2011
Ugh, that is a bristly place to be, Limbo....

I love the fact that you may have your summers off to be with your kids only!!! I would be so jealous....

Maybe they will see that for you it would be a win-win and that the likelihood of you leaving them so quickly would be almost non-existent...

Good luck.
momofboys 09:42 AM 02-09-2011

I love the fact that you may have your summers off to be with your kids only!!! I would be so jealous....

Maybe they will see that for you it would be a win-win and that the likelihood of you leaving them so quickly would be almost non-existent...

Good luck.
How does this sound (or does it sound totally desperate???) Opinions please:

Dear Potential Employer:

I am excited about the prospect of assisting your family. I wanted to let you know that my contract with my current family states I will give a 10 day notice if care is to be terminated for any reason. If you selected me to care for your family I would still be able to begin caring for your family on Feb. 22nd so long as I can give my current family notice by Thursday. Thank you again for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Me
momofboys 09:21 AM 02-10-2011
Well unfortuately I have heard NOTHING. I did send a very brief e-mail similar to the one on my last post. I guess it is just frustrating that they haven't contacted me either way. Is it that hard to shoot off an e-mail stating they are hiring somone else? I would be disappointed but it would not break my heart. I did take almost 2 1/2 hrs of my time to come meet with them (20 min from my home, interview was close to an hour and 45 min!). I just want to move on if they have selected someone else. If I don't get this position I will just pour myself into my other part-time work that will be starting in about a month. Maybe I can save up enough $$ from that to have my summer free & then I can figure out a game plan for the rest of the year.
momofboys 09:22 AM 02-10-2011

Good luck.
No reason to be jealous (at least not yet!) But yes, I would be in heaven with my summers off!
cillybean83 09:30 AM 02-10-2011
i don't like to work with people who take forever and a day to make up their minds one way or the other. I had someone call me today about a position they interviewed for 3 weeks ago, I asked them to let me know within a week what their decision was, and I never heard from them...now they want to start Monday

"sorry, the position has been filled!" (no it hasn't!)

they act all upset that i didn't sit around waiting for them, if you've annoyed me before we started working together, then you'll be a holy terror after i work "for" you

momofboys 10:04 AM 02-10-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i don't like to work with people who take forever and a day to make up their minds one way or the other. I had someone call me today about a position they interviewed for 3 weeks ago, I asked them to let me know within a week what their decision was, and I never heard from them...now they want to start Monday

"sorry, the position has been filled!" (no it hasn't!)

they act all upset that i didn't sit around waiting for them, if you've annoyed me before we started working together, then you'll be a holy terror after i work "for" you

ITA with you! Maybe it is for the best. . . still waiting but trying to move on!
ninosqueridos 10:13 AM 02-10-2011
sorry they still haven't contacted you Whatever happened to at least common courtesy....
Cat Herder 10:24 AM 02-10-2011
I just saw your post from yesterday... I am sorry they did not call or email.

That just is rude....

How long ago did you email?
momofboys 10:29 AM 02-10-2011
I just saw your post from yesterday... I am sorry they did not call or email.

That just is rude....

How long ago did you email?
I e-mailed yesterday at 2:00 pm. I did interview with them over the weekend & I may have been their first interviewee so it is possible they had a few more interviews early this week which may be why it is taking so long but when I interviewed they made it sound as if it would just be a day or two until they made a decision.
Cat Herder 10:32 AM 02-10-2011
Well, I will keep my fingers crossed for you...

It does sound like a great opportunity
momofboys 11:25 AM 02-11-2011
I am so disappointed. The mom never did e-mail me but today I saw her ad reposted on CL! I guess it doesn't bother me too much that she is reposting it. What bothers me is why she doesn't have the decency & sense of common courtesy to at least reply to me e-mail or call me to tell me they don't want me. Frustrated.
DCMomOf3 11:33 AM 02-11-2011
I am sorry that they didn't have the courtesy to inform you they weren't going with you. I am all for professionalism in all transactions and it disappoints me to see there are others who don't put enough value on other people's time and energy.
momofboys 11:38 AM 02-11-2011
I am all for professionalism also. I always make an effort to send an e-mail after every interview & try to restate why I believe I would be a good fit & I also thank the parents for allowing me the opportunity. It's just hard to be rejected. I must be PMSing b/c this is getting to me more than it should
DCMomOf3 11:40 AM 02-11-2011
I am all for professionalism also. I always make an effort to send an e-mail after every interview & try to restate why I believe I would be a good fit & I also thank the parents for allowing me the opportunity. It's just hard to be rejected. I must be PMSing b/c this is getting to me more than it should
I would think it's getting to you because it would have been your perfect situation. keep looking, the perfect family is out there, they just haven't found you yet.
Tags:interview, nanny
Reply Up