Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Must Fix These Issues..
blueskiesbutterflies 11:49 AM 02-17-2015
OK so I knew not to allow certain things like late payments but I allowed it without saying anything. Now, I have everyone paying 2-3 days late, arriving after my close time, not calling when they are out, and during snow days they are expecting me to wait around till noon till they call out. I know its my fault but I was really needing clients. Now, I must fix it because I really am done with it. Am I ranting and being a mean person and making a fool of myself or does it sound ok? Please honest advise....rough draft..I will edit it after i get JMO's thanks everyone!

policies.pdf
Attached:
laundrymom 11:57 AM 02-17-2015
I scanned through it and found several items Id change. I'll detail later as my break is over.
blueskiesbutterflies 11:58 AM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I scanned through it and found several items Id change. I'll detail later as my break is over.
Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated!
Jack Sprat 01:02 PM 02-17-2015
Real quick...This is my opinion I would give as little info as needed. They don't need to know they "whys" of the situation. It is what it is.

Maybe start with "Dear Families, after careful review I am needing to update several of my policies. " and add the following:
You pay on this day by this time or there will be a fee
You pick up at this time or there will be a fee
You let me know if your child is attending by this time or there will be a fee

I speak from experience. If you allow these things to happen then they will. But, I think you got that.

Blackcat is the one I go to for things like this...She is my contract/daycare advice guru!
Controlled Chaos 01:09 PM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
Real quick...This is my opinion I would give as little info as needed. They don't need to know they "whys" of the situation. It is what it is.

Maybe start with "Dear Families, after careful review I am needing to update several of my policies. " and add the following:

I speak from experience. If you allow these things to happen then they will. But, I think you got that.

Blackcat is the one I go to for things like this...She is my contract/daycare advice guru!
I agree with the - "they don't need to know the whys"

Also, you have to enforce. If they haven't paid, they don't come. If they arrive at your door without payment/late fees etc. they don't get to stay. "Sorry dcp, but you know payment is due today. You will have to run home/bank before you can drop lo off. Thanks!" Its super hard to do the first few times, but once they know you are serious it gets easier and the parents know what is truly expected of them.
Heidi 01:09 PM 02-17-2015
I agree with Jack...

I'd keep it way simpler. A dear parents letter, along with a copy of the new policies.

While you're at it, I'd really consider going to contacted hours. You're being flexible makes you feel "nice", but you are aren't running a charity, you're running a daycare.

If you don't want to do that, def. do NOT put in "I understand that..." No, you DON"T understand, and you don't have to. You're just putting in writing that they can continue to take advantage of you.

Between us...do you understand that emergencies happen? Sure! But they don't need permission to create them.
blueskiesbutterflies 01:38 PM 02-17-2015
YES!!!

I can see why explaining is not a good idea...I felt like I was venting and very frustrated so that is why I aksed you all.

DO you think I am being unreasonable? Everything is standard right?
blueskiesbutterflies 01:41 PM 02-17-2015

Thank you much!!! I agree with you and will redo it tonight. I think I am a little afraid of losing the clients over this because I am just starting out. I did have a daycare for over 15 years and about 6 years ago I closed it down. Nothing like this ever happened. I was mean then

I just feel they are taking advantage of me and I am allowing it!! Of course, I was wanting them to see my side and not see me as a "you know what"....
Crazy8 02:13 PM 02-17-2015
Honestly…. I didn't even read thru the whole thing and doubt you will have a dcparent who will either. I would take out ALL the personal stuff. Its ok to give examples of things that may really be confusing but things like paying on time, late pick ups do not need examples or reasoning behind them. I would simply state that while you have been lax on some of the policies in the past it has become a problem and you now must enforce ALL policies in the handbook. I would bullet point them in that letter AND give them another copy of your handbook to reference in the future.

Keep it simple. You do need to speak up and enforce the policies but you do not need to justify them or apologize for them.
Controlled Chaos 02:31 PM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Honestly…. I didn't even read thru the whole thing and doubt you will have a dcparent who will either. I would take out ALL the personal stuff. Its ok to give examples of things that may really be confusing but things like paying on time, late pick ups do not need examples or reasoning behind them. I would simply state that while you have been lax on some of the policies in the past it has become a problem and you now must enforce ALL policies in the handbook. I would bullet point them in that letter AND give them another copy of your handbook to reference in the future.

Keep it simple. You do need to speak up and enforce the policies but you do not need to justify them or apologize for them.
Yep. Its hard, when you are an understanding/kind person, BUT your business needs to be respected and profitable. It is a business, like others said, not a charity.

I often worry about, pray for, chat with my husband about dcfs that are having a tough time and that I care about a great deal BUT I am professional to them. They know I mean business. This business feeds my children. If a dcf thinks I am mean/unreasonable etc. That's on them. They can find a new provider. Being strict isn't the same as being uncaring. Like with kids, firm boundaries are healthy for everyone!
blueskiesbutterflies 03:30 PM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

You are right and I took all of that out I do not have to feel bad for trying to earn a living and doing it in a professional manner...I was trying to justify and apologize but I see that is not needed at all. Sometimes this job is just so hard!
Jack Sprat 03:41 PM 02-17-2015
OP - don't be afraid of loosing clients. They can be replaced and frankly I think they will look at you as more of a professional when you start enforcing policies.

I love each one of my daycare kids and will try to move mountains to protect them, nurture them and help them grow. BUT, I love my own children more and my time with them and my DH is very precious and valuable to me. As is my paycheck. It was very hard for me to be professional in the beginning but, as time goes by it gets easier. I think being more professional has made it that way!
blueskiesbutterflies 04:59 AM 02-19-2015
OP - don't be afraid of loosing clients. They can be replaced and frankly I think they will look at you as more of a professional when you start enforcing policies.

I love each one of my daycare kids and will try to move mountains to protect them, nurture them and help them grow. BUT, I love my own children more and my time with them and my DH is very precious and valuable to me. As is my paycheck. It was very hard for me to be professional in the beginning but, as time goes by it gets easier. I think being more professional has made it that way!
I agree with you 150%! It is how you run it and how much they know they can get by with. Amazingly enough, I did redo my forms and then sent out the email Tuesday Night and last night my one who is always late picked up at 6:10. Ten min after I close!!! I am very very frustrated with them. I think alot has to do with they are not from america and have only been here a short amount of time and in their culture the man does not do what a women says. However, you are now in america and sometimes women are in charge
TheGoodLife 12:01 PM 02-19-2015
Did you charge them for being late?
Tags:pick up issues, snow day, snow policy
Reply Up