Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Car Seats In Daycare?
AnythingsPossible 08:12 AM 03-17-2011
Nan, your policies state car seats can not be left at daycare, and I have read a few other posters who have stated this as well. I am wondering why?
Anyone care to comment?
TBird 08:14 AM 03-17-2011
An inside space/safety issue maybe??? I'd just have them leave it in the garage (if there's room).
DCMomOf3 08:16 AM 03-17-2011
If I remember right, safe car seat installation, or lack there of, played a part in her decision.
daysofelijah 08:18 AM 03-17-2011
They take up way too much room in my entryway. My dcp are still bringing their now 1 yo in the bucket seat every day. I don't get it. I was so happy to be done with dragging the bucket seat around, I had my kids out of it by 6 months old.

Maybe they are trying to wait until their 4 yo weighs 40 lbs. so they don't have to buy new car seats only boosters. I'm about to say something because the car seat takes up so much room in my already tiny entryway. I suppose I could just start putting it out in the garage during the day.
SilverSabre25 08:18 AM 03-17-2011
There's both the space issue and the issue that if parents are taking the seats in and out of the car each day (not infant bucket seats, but car seat bases and convertibles, etc), then there's a good chance that they aren't getting a good installation every time they put it back in, which is of course a huge safety risk.
dEHmom 08:32 AM 03-17-2011
thought this was interesting.

This is Canadian, but I assume it's the same or close to.

There is such a large gap between the rear and front facing stages. I know partially due to height, seems strange to me that for half the time they could be in forward facing they could still be in rear facing. More than half actually. Almost like you should just skip the stage 2, and finish stage 1 go straight to stage 3. But that's a little ridiculous to buckle a 7 yo in a rear facing.
MyAngels 08:34 AM 03-17-2011
I don't have room for them inside the house. Most of my families just get two seats - one for each parent's vehicle. I also have had grandparents pick up, but they all seem to have their own carseats as well.
dEHmom 08:41 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I don't have room for them inside the house. Most of my families just get two seats - one for each parent's vehicle. I also have had grandparents pick up, but they all seem to have their own carseats as well.
Definitely.
Each parent I've ever had each have their own seats in their own vehicles. Once I had dcm leave seats for grandma but that was ok, we left them outside on front step. Otherwise grandma just switched vehicles with mom before picking up kids.
Meyou 09:00 AM 03-17-2011
I'll keep one in an emergency but I would much rather lend one of my extra seats that I keep in the garage and have it returned later than keep seats blocking my entryway.
nannyde 09:11 AM 03-17-2011
My parents have two sets of car seats. My interview process takes a couple of weeks so they have time to get to searching for a second one.

I do not allow car seats in the house. They have to load and unload OUTSIDE. I don't let them bring them in and then take them out of the seat or bring the seat in and put the kid back in at the end of the day.

The car seat only comes into my house during the interview. As soon as they start they have to do all loading and unloading at the car.

Believe me they get VERY quick at it. It sounds hard but they can load their kid at the end of the day in SECONDS when it's just them and the driveway.

It really cut down on the amount of time I was doing with arrivals and departures. It saved seven minutes per day per child TOTAL (I did a time study on it over a period of a year.) This is in ADDITION to the time an infant who is not in a car seat takes on arrival and departure. Multiply that out and you will see how much time (money) that one policy can bring to your business. It comes out to be about 3.5 days per year per child. If you have three babies you will be giving away two weeks of free day care time per year JUST for the arrival and departure. It really adds up.

I would NEVER load a child into a car seat for a parent. If you do that you could be liable should the car seat fail in an accident. I explain to parents that for insurance purposes, I can't be a part of the car seat in any way. If I'm unloading or loading the kids in the seat I am REQUIRED to verify that the car seat is in working order, it has not expired, the straps are properly placed, all the clasps work properly etc. I do not want that responsibility. Out of sight... out of liability.

If they load and unload in the driveway I don't see it and am not a part of it in any way.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ighlight=study
Cat Herder 09:54 AM 03-17-2011
Most of my rules are because someone once did "something stupid"

Liability:

1. Once my neighbors cat sprayed it and the Mom felt I should replace it. I never gave her permission to leave it and did not know it was outside.

2. One Mother was in a wreck, minor fender bender, and was cited for not having an infant restrained. Baby was bucked into seat, but not car.She blamed it on the fact that she was in such a hurry to get out of my driveway for other parents since I "WONT stagger pick-ups". (my closing time is 6, so everyone waits until then, and this is my fault how?)

Space:

1. My Foyer is only 35 sq feet, my front deck is open to neighbor dogs/cats, and I am not a storage company.

Odor:

1. Ever had that 5 day old dried Urine/Diarrhea smell in your living room?

Filth:

1. Ever had someone Else's month old French fries, goldfish, cheerios, cigarette butts or something I pray was smooshed up fig newtons all over your entranceway?

I just chalk it up to Parent Responsibility. I knew when I had kids there may be an emergency situation where I may need someone to get my kids. DH, my Mom and I all had carseats in our vehicles at all times. I was invested in my children.....before they were born.
squareone 11:21 AM 03-17-2011
Thanks for asking this question AnythingsPossible. I just decided that I have a new policy
nannyde 11:23 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Liability:

1. Once my neighbors cat sprayed it and the Mom felt I should replace it. I never gave her permission to leave it and did not know it was outside.

2. One Mother was in a wreck, minor fender bender, and was cited for not having an infant restrained. Baby was bucked into seat, but not car.She blamed it on the fact that she was in such a hurry to get out of my driveway for other parents since I "WONT stagger pick-ups". (my closing time is 6, so everyone waits until then, and this is my fault how?)

Space:

1. My Foyer is only 35 sq feet, my front deck is open to neighbor dogs/cats, and I am not a storage company.

Odor:

Filth:

1. Ever had someone Else's month old French fries, goldfish, cheerios, cigarette butts or something I pray was smooshed up fig newtons all over your entranceway?

I just chalk it up to Parent Responsibility. I knew when I had kids there may be an emergency situation where I may need someone to get my kids. DH, my Mom and I all had carseats in our vehicles at all times. I was invested in my children.....before they were born.
You should write a Car Seat Ten Commandments

Thou shalt not bring FILTH into my home.

I've seen some NASTY car seats in my time. They are so clean when they are newborns and then it gets progressively worse. When the straps at the puke zone of the neck start to curl there's no amount of cleaning that's gonig to take that nasty stench out.

Back in the "I didn't know any better" days I used to loan out car seats. I had too many Dad's or Gma's picking up without realizing they FORGOT the seat. It was the quickest way to not have a kid in my house longer hours because of an "I forgot".

My insurance agent squared me on that one.

I was watching an Alaska show on one of the rural channels (R4sons .. I think) and one of the kids in the family is a firefighter. He does car seat training and placement as a community service. He was talking to one of the parents about the importance of not taking the seat in and out. He said to have it professionally installed by a car seat tech and LEAVE IT.

Because I don't do anything car seat related I don't keep up on that. I wonder if there is a new branch of education for it now where they are encouraging people to leave them in.

The Centers I work for have constant car seat issues. I keep telling them to just ban them but it's something near and dear to the parents so it's a tough service to deny.
marniewon 11:25 AM 03-17-2011
I may have to implement this policy also. I have one child who arrives in the bucket seat. Mom takes baby out and hands her to me every morning. She does not use the seat all day, it just sits in my entryway. Where everyone comes and goes. The door nearest to my dirt (mud) driveway. Where my boys go in and out to play basketball with their muddy shoes. Where said muddy shoes are kept. Where my dog runs through on his way in or out of the house and slimes it at every pass.

Yep, might have to start a new policy.
SilverSabre25 11:58 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
He said to have it professionally installed by a car seat tech and LEAVE IT.
The ONLY problem with professional installation is that sadly, a lot of the "professionals" even do it wrong. The sad truth is that there are so many different seats with different requirements, and so many different cars with different specifications, that many professionals are unable to know how to properly install every seat in every car. The simple answer is to read the manual, but the manuals are complicated and poorly written a lot of the time. Then when the states get in on the action with poorly phrased regulations that only confuse the issue further, it's almost hopeless unless you are REALLY on top of your game.

I feel much better knowing how to install (and USE!!!!) car seats safely myself, and have seriously considering becoming a CPST so that I have the piece of paper that tells parents that I KNOW what I'm doing and THEY are doing it WRONG. Plus, it seems like it might make a nice side business--doing car seat installations and trainings. I don't know how much of a market there is for that though.
AnythingsPossible 12:06 PM 03-17-2011
Thanks for explaining the various reasons. I do not have a rule on not bringing them in, however, I do encourage them to leave them in the car, by telling them it is not necessary to have them here as we do not transport.
While I realize there is a liability in placing the child in the carseat, I once watched a family whom I knew did not buckle the child in the seat. I certainly preferred to have the seat in my house, and I would buckle baby in before they left. It probably wasn't much help as she never buckled baby in the car, but I tried.
Cat Herder 12:08 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
The ONLY problem with professional installation is that sadly, a lot of the "professionals" even do it wrong. The sad truth is that there are so many different seats with different requirements, and so many different cars with different specifications, that many professionals are unable to know how to properly install every seat in every car. The simple answer is to read the manual, but the manuals are complicated and poorly written a lot of the time. Then when the states get in on the action with poorly phrased regulations that only confuse the issue further, it's almost hopeless unless you are REALLY on top of your game.

I feel much better knowing how to install (and USE!!!!) car seats safely myself, and have seriously considering becoming a CPST so that I have the piece of paper that tells parents that I KNOW what I'm doing and THEY are doing it WRONG. Plus, it seems like it might make a nice side business--doing car seat installations and trainings. I don't know how much of a market there is for that though.
I am a car seat tech...no pay, though It is free at every Police, Fire and EMS station. I don't tell the parents because I don't want the liability on my homeowners insurance. The County has more liquid income that I do.... hehe...
momatheart 01:21 PM 03-17-2011
WOW never thought of it but this is AMAZING I LOVE IT! I almost wish I did daycare at home instead of a center just so I could implement it.
momatheart 01:28 PM 03-17-2011
Found this. You may want to give this to parents after you give out your new rule.
Here are the top ten basics. Also there is other information on car seats from infant, to convertible car seats etc.

Kids 12 and under should ALWAYS ride in the back seat. This cuts their risk of death by 36%.

Kids should be in a carseat or booster until they can be seated properly in a seatbelt. For most kids, this is around 8 years old or 4' 9" tall, but proper seatbelt fit is the most important factor.

Never place a rear-facing carseat in the front seat when there is an active frontal airbag.

Keep your baby rear-facing as long as possible. That can mean up to 35 or 40 pounds in most current convertible seats, unless they outgrow it by height first.

All current car seats pass government safety standards. Select the one that best fits your child, your vehicle and your budget. Some models do have different features; select one that has the features that will allow you to use it correctly EVERY trip.

Always read the owners manuals for your vehicle and carseat thoroughly. They often contain specific information about carseat installation that may not be obvious. Some models may vary from what you would expect.

Make sure that the harness fits snugly on your child, the carseat fits snugly in your vehicle, and that your vehicle seatbelts are locked properly.

When you buy a carseat, make sure you have a good return policy in case it doesn't fit or in case you find you don't like it. Have your seat inspected by a certified technician for free at a checkup event or fitting station.

Please be wary of used carseats, especially those over six years old, those with an unknown history that may have been in a crash, those that show any form of cracks or damage, and those with missing labels, model number, manufacturing date, instructions or parts.

Please give driving your complete, unimpaired attention and wear your own seatbelt all the time. These two simple steps are among these easiest ways you can protect yourself and your passengers from injury or death.
Also see our Frequently Asked Questions List for answers to other common carseat issues.

http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html
jen 04:26 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Thanks for explaining the various reasons. I do not have a rule on not bringing them in, however, I do encourage them to leave them in the car, by telling them it is not necessary to have them here as we do not transport.
While I realize there is a liability in placing the child in the carseat, I once watched a family whom I knew did not buckle the child in the seat. I certainly preferred to have the seat in my house, and I would buckle baby in before they left. It probably wasn't much help as she never buckled baby in the car, but I tried.
I had a mom who let her 2.5 year old ride to daycare without a carseat...no buckle, front seat. I asked Mom why Miss S wasn't in her seat and Mom said, "oh, it's just a couple of blocks (true) and she doesn't WANT to ride in it here."

I told her I understood, but that S should really be in her seat, after all she could get hit pulling out of the driveway. Mom said, "I'm not worried about it."

So, I responsed: "I understand, but I'm a mandated reporter, I'm obligated to report, so I would appreciate it if you didn't put me in that position."

End of problem...
AnythingsPossible 06:15 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I had a mom who let her 2.5 year old ride to daycare without a carseat...no buckle, front seat. I asked Mom why Miss S wasn't in her seat and Mom said, "oh, it's just a couple of blocks (true) and she doesn't WANT to ride in it here."

I told her I understood, but that S should really be in her seat, after all she could get hit pulling out of the driveway. Mom said, "I'm not worried about it."

So, I responsed: "I understand, but I'm a mandated reporter, I'm obligated to report, so I would appreciate it if you didn't put me in that position."

End of problem...
I called our DFS office when she repeatedly left without buckling him and they told me they wouldn't do anything in the situation, I would have to call the police department and report her as she left.
At the time, not having you child buckled was not a "pull over" offense, they would only pull her over if she did something to require them to pull her over, then they could ticket her for not having her child buckled.
I asked if they would atleast do extra patrols around my area during pick up times in hopes that would make mom think to buckle, but it didn't do any good.
anabel 01:06 PM 03-18-2011
I don't have a policy in place to stop parents bringing in car seats, but I would not allow them to do it. I have appropriate seats in my car, I know the history of my carseats, I know how well they have been looked after, I know they have had no little knocks and I know they fit in my car.

I would not have parents bringing in their carseats, I just know they would get little knocks on the car whilst being put in and taken out, and get knocked on my door frames whilst being carried in and out, they would be dumped on the floor getting more little knocks - then to top off all the little knocks and beginnings of stress fractures, I would then be responsible for their safety all day long, trying to keep all the little people out of them, stop people tripping over them, prevent them being knocked over etc.

They are safety equipment and the less they are moved, carried, knocked and jarred onto the floor the more secure their integrity. Car seats should be put in the car and left there, not got in and out and in and out and in and out. That's how I feel anyway.
Unregistered 11:33 AM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
How can a parent NOT BUCKLE their child, especially an infant?
I swear....the stuff parents do/not do to their children is beyond me!
Unregistered 12:10 PM 05-06-2016
So--I'm a mom and was trying to do a little research. My day care REQUIRES that mom's and dad's leave the bucket seat at the day care. We are in Michigan, just for reference. The reasoning, the director states, is that it's part of the day care licensing requirements. And the reasoning behind that, is because if there is ever an emergency and child needs to be transported by ambulance, child can be safely transported in the bucket seat. They have quite a large infant room, they are almost at capacity and have about 19 infants. So yes, there are 19 car seats in front of the door on a busy day.

I've just never heard of this, and it logistically doesn't make much sense to me. How possibly could the state require that many car seats to be left at the day care? Are all 19 infants going to need to be transported by ambulance at the same time? Sounds like not enough ambulances.

It just irks me because my child is 20 pounds now, and I have repeatedly asked the director what the cut off is as far as car seats being left at the day care (how big does my kid have to be that I can stop bringing in the car seat?), but she never has a straight answer for me. So I've been online looking for an answer, but I can't find this licensing requirement anywhere. Can someone send me the link, if they know of it?

Maybe it's a township code, rather than state. I don't know. Anyway, I hate lugging that thing in every day and it literally especially when the sense behind it doesn't make sense at all.

Thanks!
Leigh 12:25 PM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So--I'm a mom and was trying to do a little research. My day care REQUIRES that mom's and dad's leave the bucket seat at the day care. We are in Michigan, just for reference. The reasoning, the director states, is that it's part of the day care licensing requirements. And the reasoning behind that, is because if there is ever an emergency and child needs to be transported by ambulance, child can be safely transported in the bucket seat. They have quite a large infant room, they are almost at capacity and have about 19 infants. So yes, there are 19 car seats in front of the door on a busy day.

I've just never heard of this, and it logistically doesn't make much sense to me. How possibly could the state require that many car seats to be left at the day care? Are all 19 infants going to need to be transported by ambulance at the same time? Sounds like not enough ambulances.

It just irks me because my child is 20 pounds now, and I have repeatedly asked the director what the cut off is as far as car seats being left at the day care (how big does my kid have to be that I can stop bringing in the car seat?), but she never has a straight answer for me. So I've been online looking for an answer, but I can't find this licensing requirement anywhere. Can someone send me the link, if they know of it?

Maybe it's a township code, rather than state. I don't know. Anyway, I hate lugging that thing in every day and it literally especially when the sense behind it doesn't make sense at all.

Thanks!
I'm not familiar with your state's regs, but that sounds like BS to me. I'd be worried that they want them there because they're using them to keep the kids in when parents are not around. I, personally, HATE having car seats at my house! I have twins right now who are tube fed and eat in their car seats, and what a pain to have those things sitting around-they are always in the way!
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 05-06-2016

Thanks!
If the director is telling you its a state regulation, instead of searching for it on-line, just ask the director directly to show you where it says that in the regulations. Most licensed child care homes AND centers are required to keep a copy of the state regulations on file and/or provide one to parents. I am in MN and we are required to provide a copy (or the link) to parents.

For what it's worth, I've never heard of any center anywhere that required that for those reasons. NOT saying it couldnt be true....just that I've never heard of one.
LysesKids 12:28 PM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Liability:

Space:

Odor:

Filth:

You forgot hitch hiking bugs... like roaches & lice, bedbugs & GERMS. Yep, I actually have this listed in my policies along with the above. Never had a parent complain. You never know where the parents have hauled that seat too ( Hotels, Gyms, Dr's office?)I personally don't have room for carseats in my home or on the deck we play on so that is the main reason, but I also state liability issues
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I'm not familiar with your state's regs, but that sounds like BS to me. I'd be worried that they want them there because they're using them to keep the kids in when parents are not around. I, personally, HATE having car seats at my house! I have twins right now who are tube fed and eat in their car seats, and what a pain to have those things sitting around-they are always in the way!
Also as a parent, I'd be concerned about other children and adults having access to my car seat.

I've seen some strange things happen

Also, car seats aren't meant to removed and re-installed daily. They are meant to be installed and left in place.
Thriftylady 12:55 PM 05-06-2016
I don't allow it due to liability and space issues. And for the same reasons I don't allow diaper bags, again space, and bugs and other grossness. When I was in KS a diaper bag was brought in and a roach crawled out. No thanks. We have cubbies and MY car seats stay in my van.
NillaWafers 01:08 PM 05-06-2016
I never really thought about this. I have a parent who will occasionally leave the car seat for her husband. It's seriously gross, so I make her leave it outside :-\ Maybe I should add that to my contract too! Sheesh! This thing is gonna be like 40 pages eventually haha.
happymom 01:26 PM 05-06-2016
What car seat do you have and how tall is your child?

I would simply tell your daycare you have upgraded to a convertible child safety seat and no longer use the infant carrier.

I would also be concerned that the daycare provider is using the car seat inappropriately (perhaps for feedings or naps, etc). I interviewed more than one daycare who was using car seats for feedings and quickly crossed them off the list.
LysesKids 01:29 PM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I never really thought about this. I have a parent who will occasionally leave the car seat for her husband. It's seriously gross, so I make her leave it outside :-\ Maybe I should add that to my contract too! Sheesh! This thing is gonna be like 40 pages eventually haha.
I put my policy in place in AR (2010) when a few centers near me had bed bug outbreaks (creepy)... I don't want to deal with more than already needed; And yes, it's also why no diaper bags. Spare clothes are brought in a gallon ziplock that's labeled. I also explain to parents that it's that much less stuff they have to haul back & forth lol
Thriftylady 01:51 PM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I seriously don't understand why parents don't get car seats for both vehicles. It is such a hassle to move them and they are not that expensive. We only had one car when DS was little. When DD was a baby and I finally got my own car (my abusive ex finally gave in to try to keep me, he made it easier to leave lol I knew that he didn't), but I had two car seats then. I just can't imagine switching back and forth all the time. Heck I even got one for mom's car because she had DD often.
happymom 03:13 PM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
When DD was a baby and I finally got my own car (my abusive ex finally gave in to try to keep me, he made it easier to leave lol I knew that he didn't), but I had two car seats then. I just can't imagine switching back and forth all the time. Heck I even got one for mom's car because she had DD often.
For real. The daycare my sons go to has an area near the entrance for parents to leave their car seats if they wish. It always has huge car seats in it. Some of them are there every day (and they are like $300 seats, too, WHY when you could just get two $100 seats and remove that hassle from your lives). I think some parents just don't know...
Ariana 12:09 AM 05-07-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Also, car seats aren't meant to removed and re-installed daily. They are meant to be installed and left in place.
I think she meant just the bucket part was coming in so the base was staying in the car.

This rule makes zero sense
Unregistered 03:14 PM 05-07-2016

Thanks!
OK no..I would do some drop in check ups if i were u. If a kid is in a true emergent situationally, ambulances use their already approved gurney that latches into the ambulance. There are no seats back there equipped for carseats and no time if 911emergency
morgan24 03:50 PM 05-07-2016

Thanks!
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/la...6_509884_7.pdf This is the link to the State of MI technical assistance manual for centers. I read the transportation section and did not see where it cited that rule. It sounds like it is your centers rules and they are claiming its a state rule. I would ask them if they can show you where it says that and if your child has outgrown that seat you don't want them using it anyway.
Unregistered 05:45 AM 05-08-2016
When my son was in a center we had to bring a bucket seat as well. I don't know if this was center specific or state. He was in an infant room and each child had a full size dedicated crib that no other children could use while enrolled. We used to have to place the bucket seats under the cribs so they would have them if needed in emergency as well. My son stopped using the bucket seat at 4 months so I just left it at daycare under his crib during the week and tossed it in the trunk during weekends until he moved up to the toddler room. My son doesn't have a father so we didn't have a second car to put a second seat into.
Thriftylady 06:32 AM 05-08-2016
For those of you who question if the centers are telling you something is a regulation that isn't, remember that you CAN call licensing at any time with your questions. They will be happy to let you know what the rules are. I am legally unlicensed, but tell my parents if they have a question they can ask me and if I don't know we can call, even though I don't have to follow most of the regs, I do try to stay in best practice.
DaveA 05:22 AM 05-09-2016
I go all over the place with DCKs, so parents are required to provide a carseat or a base for an infant with a bucket seat. I've had a couple DCFs as me to buy the seat and reimbursed me before the child started. It is just for daycare- not for if Grandma picks up or something like that. If they want to leave a carseat at daycare for someone getting DCK it stays in the garage till pickup.

I'm thinking about next policy revision changing the policy to charging a $10/ week fee the first 3 months and just buying a carseat myself for each new DCK.
Cat Herder 05:35 AM 05-09-2016
This original topic was discussed back in 2011. Since then there have been too many deaths from providers leaving kids to sleep in their car seats to make it a viable option.
CalCare 06:37 AM 05-09-2016
True, but a parent just bumped this the other day because she is having the issue of her childcare provider asking her to leave the seat. So she wants to know if this is legit.
Hunni Bee 06:43 AM 05-09-2016
OK no..I would do some drop in check ups if i were u. If a kid is in a true emergent situationally, ambulances use their already approved gurney that latches into the ambulance. There are no seats back there equipped for carseats and no time if 911emergency
Exactly. I call bs. I have never heard of someone running around to find a car seat in an emergency. The only time I've even heard of anything similar, is when my nephew was transported by ambulance from one hospital to another and they strapped his car seat to the gurney, but it was not an emergency situation and if they didn't have access to his seat they wouldve just strapped him to the gurney.

Sounds like they just want the seats around to hold the infants. Either that or there's some super strange regs where you live.
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
True, but a parent just bumped this the other day because she is having the issue of her childcare provider asking her to leave the seat. So she wants to know if this is legit.
Understood. I was updating my change of thought process. Cleanliness and storage liability issues seem too trivial now and that was all my previous (old) posts seemed concerned with.

Also, I work EMS; We have our own approved car seats on board.
daycarediva 11:45 AM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Liability:

Space:

Odor:

Filth:

plus car seat safety installation!

Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Exactly. I call bs. I have never heard of someone running around to find a car seat in an emergency. The only time I've even heard of anything similar, is when my nephew was transported by ambulance from one hospital to another and they strapped his car seat to the gurney, but it was not an emergency situation and if they didn't have access to his seat they wouldve just strapped him to the gurney.

Sounds like they just want the seats around to hold the infants. Either that or there's some super strange regs where you live.

Sounds like utter bs to me. I would be questioning this policy, asking for verification and doing pop in visits to see if any infants were in the seats for sleeping/eating. If they were, I would pull immediately and report the center. That's too dangerous to risk!
Unregistered 08:14 AM 12-24-2017
I also have a small home childcare service and mothers will absolutely lose it when you tell them you don't have the space to store their child's carseat. Even if the same 1 person picks up/drops off the children day after day. One woman told me she demanded to leave her son's carseat because if she was in a car accident then she would have to replace the whole carseat. Smh she broufh her son in every morning with a seat full of yogurt, cookies, snacks it was just a mess. And several times she left the carseat with baby inside at the entrance and darted out because the baby had a terrible messy diaper, so bad it leaked all over the seat cover. When I text her about it she said oh sorry about that, but can you wash the carseat cover before I pick him up. I was like WHAT?!?!? I'm not your private Nanny, I have other kids to care for. I've instituted a policy about infant car seats as well, and if parents need to leave them for an alternate pick up then tgey have to place them on my back patio.
hwichlaz 05:21 PM 12-24-2017
It’s never been a problem here. They only do it with the buckets. And then because mom drops off, and dad picks up...they both have bases buckled into their cars. I’m putting big hooks on the wall outside to hang backpacks on for school aged kids, I could put up a couple of bike brackets too for car seats. . The entry is through the carport so it’s covered.

Currently, the baby buckets go on the shelf under my coffee table.
LysesKids 12:47 PM 12-25-2017
I also have a small home childcare service and mothers will absolutely lose it when you tell them you don't have the space to store their child's carseat. Even if the same 1 person picks up/drops off the children day after day. One woman told me she demanded to leave her son's carseat because if she was in a car accident then she would have to replace the whole carseat. Smh she broufh her son in every morning with a seat full of yogurt, cookies, snacks it was just a mess. And several times she left the carseat with baby inside at the entrance and darted out because the baby had a terrible messy diaper, so bad it leaked all over the seat cover. When I text her about it she said oh sorry about that, but can you wash the carseat cover before I pick him up. I was like WHAT?!?!? I'm not your private Nanny, I have other kids to care for. I've instituted a policy about infant car seats as well, and if parents need to leave them for an alternate pick up then they have to place them on my back patio.
I have a no car seat policy and have for years... I explain that I have no space (I really don't) & it's a safety issue with infants & toddlers wanting to play in them, much less, the seats can bring in germs & possibly even bugs. I also request that if you are a two parent car household , that you really do need 2 carseats for the exact reason of a car accident; Insurance companies will replace them, so your mom that is demanding to leave the seat - personally I would tell her to find other care. My house/business, my rules
hwichlaz 04:35 PM 12-25-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I have a no car seat policy and have for years... I explain that I have no space (I really don't) & it's a safety issue with infants & toddlers wanting to play in them, much less, the seats can bring in germs & possibly even bugs. I also request that if you are a two parent car household , that you really do need 2 carseats for the exact reason of a car accident; Insurance companies will replace them, so your mom that is demanding to leave the seat - personally I would tell her to find other care. My house/business, my rules
Two car seats make sense when you no longe use a bucket, but not before. I never use one at all. It just seems like an extra expense/step to me. We used a radian rear facing 5-45 lbs, forward facing in harness to 70lbs.
Snowmom 11:32 AM 12-26-2017
I also have a small home childcare service and mothers will absolutely lose it when you tell them you don't have the space to store their child's carseat. Even if the same 1 person picks up/drops off the children day after day. One woman told me she demanded to leave her son's carseat because if she was in a car accident then she would have to replace the whole carseat. Smh she broufh her son in every morning with a seat full of yogurt, cookies, snacks it was just a mess. And several times she left the carseat with baby inside at the entrance and darted out because the baby had a terrible messy diaper, so bad it leaked all over the seat cover. When I text her about it she said oh sorry about that, but can you wash the carseat cover before I pick him up. I was like WHAT?!?!? I'm not your private Nanny, I have other kids to care for. I've instituted a policy about infant car seats as well, and if parents need to leave them for an alternate pick up then tgey have to place them on my back patio.
^ Bolded
That would be considered diarrhea in my daycare and the child would be sent home and not allowed to return until 24 hrs symptom free.

I'd immediately call her to return and pick up the child.

You have all the reasons above to lay down the law when it comes to excluding car seats.
It is ultimately up to you to get the courage to tell her she needs to leave it in the car or find another daycare who allows car seats in their home.

Personally, I don't allow them here. I won't take on that liability and I really don't care to hear "but, I need to". My business (the liability) is more important to me than the customer's convenience.
Tags:car seats
Reply Up