Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should We Be Providing Meals?
dan18ny 11:40 AM 05-13-2015
Hi all,

My wife has now had her daycare for about 2 months and has two kids (from same parent) that she had before she opened up her daycare. Yesterday she had her first visitors come check out the place and they loved it but were turned off by the fact that my wife doesn't provide meals for the kids.

So my question for you guys is, is my wife really hurting her chances for potential business by not offering meals? Do most parents look for that? Thanks for the feedback!!!
Crystal 11:50 AM 05-13-2015
Most providers offer meals. You can sign up for the food program and they reimburse you for much of the costs associated with it. Refresh my memory on what city you are in and I'll see if I can find your local agency for you.
Thriftylady 11:56 AM 05-13-2015
Some providers do not provide meals, but I think most do. And for me it is just easier. It is hard for young children to understand why one has healthy food and another has all junk. The kid with healthy food may eat it fine when the other isn't in site, but not want to when there is junk right in site. I am not on the food program now because I am legally unlicensed. But I was on it in Kansas when I was licensed and it was a good thing.
AuntTami 12:01 PM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by dan18ny:
Hi all,

My wife has now had her daycare for about 2 months and has two kids (from same parent) that she had before she opened up her daycare. Yesterday she had her first visitors come check out the place and they loved it but were turned off by the fact that my wife doesn't provide meals for the kids.

So my question for you guys is, is my wife really hurting her chances for potential business by not offering meals? Do most parents look for that? Thanks for the feedback!!!
I think it's easier on the parents too to not have to pack a lunch sack every day for their kids. It's a convenience thing. I include all meals, snacks, and milk.

Sign up for the food program, or raise your rate to accommodate as groceries are ridiculously expensive lol but definitely include meals in your rate.
LindseyA 12:07 PM 05-13-2015
I provide all meals & snacks as well. I am also on the food program. If I wasn't on the program, I wouldn't be making any money lol. These kids can Eat!
AmyKidsCo 12:24 PM 05-13-2015
Ditto everyone else.

Most providers do provide meals. It's easier for the parents - and easier for the provider to have all the children eating the same thing - and tax deductible. I highly recommend joining the food program, the extra income makes a difference!
crazydaycarelady 01:08 PM 05-13-2015
I think you definitely need to provide meals. Parents just don't want the additional hassle. If your wife gets on the food program she can probably claim the meals she feeds your own kids.
daycare 01:35 PM 05-13-2015
in my personal experience i can say that it is easier for me to provide the meals so you don't deal with kids having war over what billy has or susie has.

what is healthy to one person is not to the next.

You have one kid with cookies soda and fruit roll up while another has fish, carrot, and cheese. You can see where this is going....I want what they have, its not fair.

THEN you get into the kids that bring the junk food have horrific behavior from the over processed, high sugar, high calorie junk they ate. Like i say Crap food = crap behavior.

food program is the way to go and learn how to make yummy healthy inexpensive meals...
dan18ny 01:42 PM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
Most providers offer meals. You can sign up for the food program and they reimburse you for much of the costs associated with it. Refresh my memory on what city you are in and I'll see if I can find your local agency for you.

Thanks! We live in Santa Ana, Orange County. We are aware of the food program it's just that my wife thought it would be easier on her if she didn't have to worry about preparing food for the kids, but after yesterday I think she's gonna have to if she wants to stand out.
dan18ny 01:47 PM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
in my personal experience i can say that it is easier for me to provide the meals so you don't deal with kids having war over what billy has or susie has.

what is healthy to one person is not to the next.

You have one kid with cookies soda and fruit roll up while another has fish, carrot, and cheese. You can see where this is going....I want what they have, its not fair.

THEN you get into the kids that bring the junk food have horrific behavior from the over processed, high sugar, high calorie junk they ate. Like i say Crap food = crap behavior.

food program is the way to go and learn how to make yummy healthy inexpensive meals...

So then what happens if half of your kids are refusing to eat what you cook? Perhaps their parents have them used to eating junk food and so they don't want to eat healthy.
daycare 01:51 PM 05-13-2015
So then what happens if half of your kids are refusing to eat what you cook? Perhaps their parents have them used to eating junk food and so they don't want to eat healthy.
they learn to eat it...

you do you part serve it
they dont have to eat it, we cant force them, why would you??

serve it and let them decide what they want to eat or not...they will learn to eat and will eat when hungry..
rosieteddy 02:11 PM 05-13-2015
I ran my family childcare for just under 30 yrs.I did provide food .I was on the food program but after a while just took my meal allowance on my taxes.The paper work and visits were not worth it to me.I did feed the children by the healthy guidelines and if they did not eat oh well. Now my friend who also ran a family childcare had the children bring there lunch.She provided snacks and drinks only.We both charged the same tuition.She did not have to worry about food shopping on a Sunday night and if they wasted the meal she did not care.We were both at full enrollment most of the time.I had to close unexpectedly and all my clients went to centers were they had to pack the food. So it may be a plus for parents ,but if your programis good they will come.My friend would spin it to the parents as they had more control over their own childs menu.Good Luck
Thriftylady 02:35 PM 05-13-2015
I only have two rules about the food here.

1. You are not forced to eat anything.

2. You are not getting a single bite of food until the next meal/snack time.

They eventually figure it out. Oh and I don't allow ANY food from home unless it is prearranged for a birthday or the like. Allowing food from home always seems to cause an issue. And if you have a child with a severe food allergy, you can be sure to avoid it if you need to.
Unregistered 02:39 PM 05-13-2015
I provide meals mostly so everyone has the same thing. I only had one prospective family balk about their son not liking vegetables.... oh well! I'm doing the healthy thing, what THEY should be doing. ONLY exception is an allergy or intolerance and then I need a form signed by their doctor. I am not on the food program but I do use the standard meal allowance allowed on my taxes. It is a HUGE write off.
Unregistered 02:41 PM 05-13-2015
Then they will be hungry and have to wait until the next meal. Their choice. I do offer a small candy if children have been good all day and have eaten their breakfast and lunch.
earlystart 01:05 PM 05-15-2015
I only provide breakfast and PM snack, none of my parents have made any comments about wishing I served lunch. I guess I'm just too lazy to take the time to make lunch, and don't want the extra hassle. And since you don't get fully reimbursed for the meal, I figure I'm saving myself the extra expense. And less food to keep in the fridge/pantry. I'm totally happy with this setup, I am in CA too, and still on the food program for the breakfast/PM snacks I provide. I only get about $40-50/mo reimbursed for that. I've had some first time daycare parents ask what kinds of food they should pack, so I have to explain that, and that they should use an icepack, and I'll heat things up in the microwave.
Crazy8 01:11 PM 05-15-2015
I have always found it strange that 90% of the providers on here provide meals but I think a lot of it is regional. When I was getting started and they mentioned the food program but said "but no one provideds meals, so you don't need to worry about that". Daycare centers around here do not provide meals and I am just starting to see some home providers say they do.

For 13 years I have always had families provide meals and I have only had 2-3 in that time that provided super healthy/organic stuff.
Sugar Magnolia 03:22 AM 05-18-2015
I don't provide lunch, parents do. My clients prefer this, they can go vegan, gluten free, organic, etc. To say that "parents provide crap, junk food" is definitely not happening here, as I have guidelines parents must follow.
AuntTami 06:44 AM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I don't provide lunch, parents do. My clients prefer this, they can go vegan, gluten free, organic, etc. To say that "parents provide crap, junk food" is definitely not happening here, as I have guidelines parents must follow.
How do you get around the "why is Susie eating grapes and I have carrots" arguments? Just curious :-)
Sugar Magnolia 10:31 AM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
How do you get around the "why is Susie eating grapes and I have carrots" arguments? Just curious :-)
Honestly, it rarely comes up! They have been taught "this is your food and that is his food" . I don't allow junk food, so everyone has equally unexciting lunches. Any complaints about lunch are handled with "talk to your mom about that". But seriously, very very few issues.
Indianadaycare 11:51 AM 05-18-2015
Thanks! We live in Santa Ana, Orange County. We are aware of the food program it's just that my wife thought it would be easier on her if she didn't have to worry about preparing food for the kids, but after yesterday I think she's gonna have to if she wants to stand out.
Depending on how many kids she has (sounds like a small group) you can make a couple of "meals" on Sunday and freeze to serve later. I do this with most of mine. Healthy soups (kale/bean, lentil, etc) and casserole dishes. Sometimes I serve up what I made for dinner last night (fresh veggie with a protein that was grilled) and just put it in a mini mixer to grind up a bit. Older toddlers can eat bite size, but I have a very young toddler. Our accountant told us we get to deduct a certain $ amount per meal. Something like $2/per lunch, per child, which will really add up, so that's what I do.
kendallina 12:08 PM 05-18-2015
I don't provide meals (I do provide snacks). I haven't had any parents that seemed turned off by it yet. In my area, there are a lot of parents who have particular thoughts about what is healthy, and no one seems to agree on this definition. So, I think they like that they control what their child eats. But that's my area, yours might be totally different.
kendallina 12:12 PM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Honestly, it rarely comes up! They have been taught "this is your food and that is his food" . I don't allow junk food, so everyone has equally unexciting lunches. Any complaints about lunch are handled with "talk to your mom about that". But seriously, very very few issues.
Yes, this exactly. I never have issues with kids complaining about what their neighbor has, they all just accept it. I don't allow desserts.

Sugar Magnolia- how do you word your 'no junk food' rule? I say no desserts, but I have an occassional jello that sneaks in, which I don't say anything, but that's a dessert to me.
bcshort 01:38 PM 05-18-2015
Our daycare does not provide lunch, we provide breakfast and a snack. I explain to parents that we use to be on the food program but the requirements from our rep were so strict that we were actually losing money.
To their benefit most of my parents would rather bring a lunch that they know will be eaten by their children than have them worry about whether they are eating what we cook or not.
I was not impressed with the food program (probably because of the rep) but it was not worth the problems to me.
delferka 02:51 PM 05-18-2015
In all the years that I've done this, all parents have expected snacks and food. Unless their child needed something special. Charge them accordingly
Papa 06:07 PM 05-18-2015
I have had a daycare for over 30 years. I started out with families bringing their own food. It was terrible! some didn't have time to fix things or forgot to bring it. the kids would look at what each other brought and would want their junk food instead of their good food. I have been on a food program ever since. the check I receive each month is about the same as taking on another child. the parents love not having to worry about feeding kids before they come in the morning also. It's a plus for your daycare to offer all foods.
Unregistered 10:15 AM 05-29-2015
To be honest, most providers around here do provide meals. It's a great marketing tool and the uniformity of everyone eating the same thing is much easier. If your wife does decide to provide meals make sure to factor the cost in to her rates. Daycare centers that don't provide meals do charge less. If her goal is to enroll more kids then meals would really help that.
Deb
Reply Up