Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Children Injured, Suspect at Large in Payson Daycare Attack
happymom 02:08 PM 08-14-2020
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...elter-in-place

PAYSON, Utah — Payson Police are looking for a man in connection with an attack at a home daycare facility Friday morning.

It began around 10:30 a.m. in the area of 600 N 500 E.

According to a news release, a woman saw the suspect attacking another man in the body and head with a sledgehammer and she told him to stop.

The suspect then turned his attention to her and began walking toward her home, which is also a daycare, the news release said.

"The suspect proceeded to strike the children and another adult with his fists and then fled the area," the news release said.

According to police, the children are being treated for various injuries. The neighbor who was attacked with the hammer was taken by helicopter to a hospital. His condition was not immediately known.

Meeko, is this near you? Where are the other Utah providers at? I read that several children were taken by ambulance.
happymom 02:12 PM 08-14-2020
More: https://www.ksl.com/article/50006395...e-order-issued

PAYSON — Police are asking Payson residents to shelter in place after they say a man attacked someone with a sledgehammer and then attacked a group of others, Including children, with his fists Friday morning.

In all, two adults and six or seven children suffered various injuries in the attack, said Payson Police Sgt. Noemi Sandoval. She said a man who was attacked with the sledgehammer was believed to be in critical condition and was flown to a hospital.

The children, described as "preschool age," were not attacked by the sledgehammer but suffered "superficial injuries" from the incident, she added. They were taken by ambulance to a hospital, and police didn't know the extent of the children's injuries.
Michael 02:15 PM 08-14-2020
What has gotten into people. Harming children? This is insane.
Mariposa 02:50 PM 08-14-2020
Horrible! But a reminder -do not get involved. I don't mean this as an attack on the provider, but if she protected the children by moving them away and calling the police he probably would not have gone to them.
I wonder what her licensing procedures are for such events. I classify that as lockdown, and I have directions to follow
Michael 03:09 PM 08-14-2020
Originally Posted by Mariposa:
Horrible! But a reminder -do not get involved. I don't mean this as an attack on the provider, but if she protected the children by moving them away and calling the police he probably would not have gone to them.
I wonder what her licensing procedures are for such events. I classify that as lockdown, and I have directions to follow
I think it’s human nature to try to help someone in that situation. She may very well have saved that man’s life. If I were the victim, I would have hoped someone would have helped. I see the childcare operator as a hero. What transpired afterward was tragic and could not be predicted.
Meeko 01:42 PM 08-15-2020
This is fairly close to me. Horrific.
There is video showing him walking down the street. He's obviously talking to himself and swinging his arms around. I'm guessing high or mentally ill. He is only 17 and so his name is not being released, but he's been charged with attempted aggravated murder and a bunch of other stuff.

The guy he was attacking is out of surgery, but still in critical condition. The children had bruises and one child needed stitches on his forehead.

It happened in the backyard areas. The provider told her mom to get the kids inside and yelled at the maniac. He hopped the fence. He has been charged with forced entry into her home, and aggravated assault on them and the kids. So horrible.
Mariposa 08:38 AM 08-16-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
I think it’s human nature to try to help someone in that situation. She may very well have saved that man’s life. If I were the victim, I would have hoped someone would have helped. I see the childcare operator as a hero. What transpired afterward was tragic and could not be predicted.

I totally get that. Many people don't get themselves involved because they don't want to get hurt or killed themselves. And provider priority should be kids. I would feel I have failed my kids and family if they were hurt. Does not mean she felt that way. That said, I would probably remove my child from their home after citing lack of protection for my child. Everyone with kids trust their providers to keep them safe. My lockdown precautions include locking the doors, close blinds if possible, lights out, calm and quiet away from windows.

I am sure it was a split moment decision. I had one myself so i can speak from somewhat of an experience:

I remember picking up my daughter when she was 1 and there was talk that the school agers next door building were in lockdown and they could not get ahold of the director. We did not know if it was a drill or real. I was a Director of a sister site so same company. I acted like it was real because I did not know, so I stayed as an extra adult, an extra manager, and was on stand by...now I had the choice to leave to safety with my child or stay and protect all kids. It was one of those-do I protect only my daughter and be mom or do I be provider and protect all kids? It may have been a stupid decision because my daughter is my most important. Maybe a good decision because I was choosing to protect the children even in my off time.

Luckily it was a drill.
happymom 08:40 AM 08-21-2020
Sounds like the victim isn't doing well at all. This is so horrible and senseless.

Update:

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...-medical-costs

Ben was on the driveway building a fish tank stand for his new tank on August 14 in the late morning. He was cutting the wood while listening to his music, his back was to the street. A disturbed individual was walking down the street, saw our sledgehammer resting on the front lawn. The perp picked up the sledgehammer, walked up behind Ben and swung it at him making direct contact with Ben's skull. Ben was knocked completely out, and the perp continued to strike him 2 - 3 more times, breaking 4 ribs, collapsing his right lung, breaking his pelvic wing off on the right side, severely damaging his liver, and spleen, and damaging his kidney's. Our neighbor screamed at him to stop and he focused his attention on her and the children in her day care facility.

Ben has been stable, but very minimal response. His brain has not stopped swelling as of yet and he still has the danger of passing away. WHEN his brain stops swelling and begins to subside, he will have a much better chance of survival. As of right now, they are only working on keeping him comfortable, and waiting for the swelling to subside.

He has a long arduous journey ahead, as well as the family. He will need lots and lots of rehabilitation and accommodations. We, his family, appreciate all of the prayers and help the community has given to us. Whatever we can raise to help defer any costs that we will incur later down the road for his recovery would be much appreciated. Thank you, and blessings to all of you.

A 17-year-old juvenile male has been arrested and booked into Slate Canyon Youth Detention on charges of attempted aggravated murder, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated child abuse, two counts of child abuse, burglary of a dwelling, obstruction of justice, two charges of criminal trespass, and disorderly conduct.

So far, investigators haven't determined a motive in the attack.
Mariposa 06:23 PM 08-21-2020
So upsetting.
Tags:child safety, personal protection, protection, security
Reply Up