Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Breakfast Menu or the Week
sharlan 08:40 PM 05-24-2011
What is your breakfast menu for the week?

I have one with texture and color issues. He doesn't eat things like oatmeal, watermelon, or anything green. They make him gag.
daycare 10:30 PM 05-24-2011
Oh boy one of those! Lol
What about cherrios and peeled apples
Eggs and toast fruit
Strawberries yogurt toast?
Rachel 10:44 PM 05-24-2011
Not opening until Sept, but starting to plan menus based on what I see other providers doing at my observations.

Bread, of some sort, with spreads (here that is standard breakfast food, lunch is hot)
Hard boiled eggs, egg salad, omelets, quiche (we are required some type of egg 2x a week)
Pancakes
French Toast
heyhun77 04:38 AM 05-25-2011
This week is a little harry because I ran a 1/2 marathon last weekend and I didn't have a lot of time for shopping and prepping. Here's what our menu rotation has planned (and what we'll probably have just not in the order on the rotation):

muffins/yogurt/fresh fruit
scrambled eggs/toast/fresh fruit
cereal choice (life, cheerios, rice krispees)/cheese cubes/fresh fruit
breakfastables (hard boiled egg slices, toast squares and ham slices that they stack however they like similar to lunchables but homemade)/fresh fruit
pancakes/turkey sausage links/fresh fruit

I usually would have the fruits assigned by Monday morning so I can have them prepped and cleaned as much as possible for the week but I'm playing catch up this week since I ran the half marathon on Saturday and recovered on Sunday.

Do the parents have any meal suggestions for you? Also, what if you changed the texture of oatmeal from mush to cakelike by making baked oatmeal?
SilverSabre25 05:51 AM 05-25-2011
HeyHun, the "Breakfastables thing is AWESOME! I love it! What a neat idea!
sharlan 09:06 AM 05-25-2011
I haven't made muffins in quite awhile. I have a silicon pan that makes bite size muffins. He loves those.
heyhun77 12:25 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
HeyHun, the "Breakfastables thing is AWESOME! I love it! What a neat idea!
It came from their love for mommy mcdonalds (basically an egg mcmuffin but homemade) but kids that couldn't hold onto and take bites of it. The best part is that they LOVE to slice the eggs and I can let them do it becuase of a $1 egg slicer from walmart. You'd think I was using magic!
heyhun77 12:27 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I haven't made muffins in quite awhile. I have a silicon pan that makes bite size muffins. He loves those.
We did muffins this morning. I found that I can sneak in super healthy muffins if I offset it a tiny bit by sprinkling the tops with large sugar crystals. The ones today were zero sugar but they ate them all up.
Kaddidle Care 12:53 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
It came from their love for mommy mcdonalds (basically an egg mcmuffin but homemade) but kids that couldn't hold onto and take bites of it.
Try breakfast burritos with or without cheese! YUM!
kcnjason 01:00 PM 05-25-2011
My own daughter is the same way. I am not a fan of cereal though, because it is very hard for the younger ones to eat and I don't think that it is a very filling meal and therefore they are asking for something to eat within an hour of finishing their cereal. My daughter will not eat oatmeal, not a big egg fan, however I suggest waffles, pancakes, toast with pb/honey, toast with cin/sugar( light on the sugar) French toast is always good. I am also not a huge muffin fan, it seems my kids make a larger mess with muffins than they do eating it. Good luck!
heyhun77 08:05 PM 05-25-2011
The kids' new favorite hot breakfast is waffle bites. I just make up a big batch on the weekend, cut them into bite size pieces and flash freeze them then put them in a big container back into the freezer. I just put them on a cookie sheet that morning and warm them in the oven.

They each get a washed milk cover with syrup to dunk their waffle bites. When we're done, the messy syrup just goes in the garbage (where the lid would have probably gone anyway) and I just have a plate to wash.
SilverSabre25 06:00 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
The kids' new favorite hot breakfast is waffle bites. I just make up a big batch on the weekend, cut them into bite size pieces and flash freeze them then put them in a big container back into the freezer. I just put them on a cookie sheet that morning and warm them in the oven.

They each get a washed milk cover with syrup to dunk their waffle bites. When we're done, the messy syrup just goes in the garbage (where the lid would have probably gone anyway) and I just have a plate to wash.
For that kind of dipping I love the little restaurant-style dip cups you can get, either the paper ones (like ketchup cups) or stainless steel ones you can get places like Sam's Club.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:24 AM 05-26-2011
Our breakfasts are pretty boring. I dont have a huge bkfast crowd, most are later. And I serve am snack at 9am, so our breakfasts are not big. Each meal has a fruit and milk and one of these:

Every friday is junk food day, so donuts, pop tarts or muffins
Tuesday and thursday is cereal.
Monday and wednesdays are:
pancakes, waffles, english muffins with american cheese, cinnamon toast, french toast sticks, scrambled eggs, yogurt parfait's (clear disposable cups layered with strawberries, bananas, vanilla yogurt and kix cereal), breakfast cups (grands biscuits stuffed into a muffin cup and baked with chopped ham, cheese and scrambled egg inside) they can pick them up and eat them, turkey sausage wrapped with cresent rolls and baked.

We also do breakfast everyother week for lunch, its one of their favorite meals. We usually do hashbrowns, turkey sausage, pancakes or waffles and oranges or strawberries.
Pammie 01:35 PM 05-26-2011
I can't stand sticky syrup all over everywhere, so I give the kids a dollop of non-fat cool whip to dip their waffles, pancakes in. They think it's extra special and I don't have sticky syrup all over kids or all over my house

My breakfasts are a bread/grain, fruit and fluid milk.

Mondays thru Thursdays I rotate through: Oatmeal, English Muffins, French Toast, Muffins, Toast, Waffles, Cold Cereal, Homemade Granola Bars, Yogurt/Granola Parfaits, Baked Oatmeal, Bagels, Biscuits, Croissants.

Fridays is always pancake day
blueclouds29 07:35 AM 06-30-2011
i know this is an old post but i'm working on to better my breakfasts...
do you guys always serve a fruit with breakfast. Like when you have cereal, pancakes or waffles? Also do you have fruits at lunch too? Everyday they have fruit with breakfast and lunch? Just wondering cause i feel i'm giving to much fruit.. is that possible?
heyhun77 07:46 AM 06-30-2011
If you are on the food program you are required to serve a fruit or veggie with breakfast and two with lunch. I do 99% whole fruits/veggies meaning I do juice 1 time per week or less.

For lunches I do a raw veggie tray in the summer since it's too hot for cooked food and the veggies that need to be cooked (yams, squash for example) I steam and then chill before serving.

For breakfast I also serve a protein each day. That's coming down the pipeline for food program requirements anyway and it's good for brain development.
Cat Herder 07:58 AM 06-30-2011
Hmmm.....What would Darwin say????

Are these medically diagnosed food sensitivity issues?

Slimy oatmeal can be baked into breads and served with a nice pat of butter and jam.

Watermelon is nutritionally irrelevant so I would not worry about that.

Greens can be pureed and added to rice or pasta "secrets in the sauce".

Get sneaky.....
blueclouds29 08:02 AM 06-30-2011
i am not on the food program. I'm only feeding 2 kids. They are young then 2.
samanthabg656 06:16 PM 06-30-2011
Let me just say I have to say Hi everybody...

First post in that forum.. hopefully not the very last..

I was wondering if your youngsters are acting odd lately.. Each of the kids are trying to get those Cowboy Coloring Books all of the sudden and I do not know why.
I mean, there is no new cowboy or any rodeo video or a tv series right...? So what's the big issue..? Anybody had any luck discovering some coloring books completely free??

Any tips?? The kids are craving for more...
sharlan 09:27 PM 06-30-2011
My 4 yo has a lot of Autistic tendencies, possibly Asperger's. Pedi says he's on the low end of average, don't worry, he'll catch up. Local school district says there's issues, but the highs and lows average out. Let's retest in a year.

I gave him cool whip with a few drops of chocolate syrup yesterday to fingerpaint with. He wouldn't touch it, kept pushing the plate away. Today I gave him some with a pancake to dip in it and he ate it.

The only fruit he will eat is peeled apples, applesauce, and bananas. The only veggie he will eat is cooked broccoli in cream of fresh broccoli soup. Which is funny because anything green grosses him out. He is offered the same fruits and veggies as the others every day.

He just started eating macaroni and cheese.
DJV 12:27 PM 09-01-2011
If my parents want their children having hot breakfasts I tell them they'll have to feed them their breakfast before arriving. I open at 7:00 and we have to be out the door before 8:00 to get kids to school. I am back and forth to the door repeatedly in that time letting kids in and if I am trying to cook anything, even toast, it quite often gets burned. Therefore if my parents want their kids to have breakfast here, their choices are dry cereal (Cheerios, Rice Krispies, etc.), pb&j or banana sandwiches and fresh fruit. I quite often do the hot breakfast thing for lunch, ie. scrambled eggs with ham & cheese, waffles with fruit on top etc.
misslori50 03:27 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by DJV:
If my parents want their children having hot breakfasts I tell them they'll have to feed them their breakfast before arriving. I open at 7:00 and we have to be out the door before 8:00 to get kids to school. I am back and forth to the door repeatedly in that time letting kids in and if I am trying to cook anything, even toast, it quite often gets burned. Therefore if my parents want their kids to have breakfast here, their choices are dry cereal (Cheerios, Rice Krispies, etc.), pb&j or banana sandwiches and fresh fruit. I quite often do the hot breakfast thing for lunch, ie. scrambled eggs with ham & cheese, waffles with fruit on top etc.
Why dont you make ahead and freeze waffles, pancakes, egg burritos, quiches?
tootieb 11:26 AM 08-27-2013
I only have one to feed, just opened. She can be picky, but usually when she tries something new, she finds out she likes it. I use a variety of fruit for the week, so as to not get bored.
Mon: Scrambled egg, toast with fruit spread, pears, milk
Tues: Cold cereal, cantaloupe, milk
Weds: Banana muffins (HM) fruit salad
Thurs: Mini quiche with ham, blueberries
Fri: Friday is pancake day! Pancakes, link sausages, watermelon
renodeb 10:49 AM 08-19-2016
My current group is a 10 month old, a 9 month old and 4 year old and a almost 5 year old. The two older kids are picky and like eating the same thing each day. I mix it up because they need some variety. For a long time I had what I called my oatmeal group. I would serve oatmeal a bunch of different ways and they loved it and it stuck to there ribs. my current group would not touch it. Its hard to feed super picky eaters. Glad I found this thread.
Deb
Unregistered 04:07 AM 08-21-2016
This a an old thread but Still a great topic! Milk served with all (unless a smoothie made with milk)

My breakfasts-
Organic cold cereal usually with cut up banana in it

Smoothies made with frozen bananas, other fruit - fresh or frozen, milk&/or yogurt. Sometimes I throw in sliced avocado

Organic frozen waffles/fresh fruit ( Aldis)

Peanut or almond butter toast/fresh fruit

Trail mix breakfast-organic cereal mix, craisins in a Baggie, fresh fruit

Oatmeal cooked with banana & sweetened with a drizzle of real maple syrup.

Raisin toast, fresh fruit

Homemade muffins or bread ( blueberry, pumpkin, banana) fruit

Yogurt parfait

French toast bake

I hate a big mess in the morning so I serve breakfast foods at lunch often. I love the breakfast cup mentioned above-that would be great for BF or lunch!.
flossie 01:06 PM 05-26-2018
I have a 6wk menu cycle. Currently we do:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Cereal w/milk & Juice
Tuesday - Scrambled eggs, orange slices, milk
Bagel with pb, banana (& fresh strawbs sometimes), milk
Scrambled eggs, hashbrown, banana, milk
Cocoa Cream of Wheat, banana, milk
Scrambled eggs w/cheese (sometimes ham), banana, milk
Pancakes, orange slices, milk
Thursday - Waffles, banana (or strawberries), milk
Oatmeal (flavors change for fun), orange slices, milk
Yogurt w/blueberries, cinnamon toast, milk
English muffin w/apple butter, pineapple, milk
Yogurt parfait, toast, milk
Smoothie (flavors change), toast w/pb or apple butter, milk

Mon, Wed & Fri I start later so breakfast is very simple for the owner of the daycare to put out. I set out her bowls, spoons and cups and all she then has to do is toss 'em on the cart and grab the cereal boxes and milk. I am phasing juice out except for with these three breakfasts each week. Also, once Coco Cream of Wheat is gone, I am intending to replace with plain Cream of Wheat.
Tags:food texture sensitivity
Reply Up