Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Routine Suggestions
Unregistered 04:15 AM 03-12-2015
I need some suggestion for my routine. The kids are at each other a lot more lately and I feel like it's a bit of boredom due to bad weather and the lax structure we have. Our day consists of
7:45-drop off. (All kids are here by then, ages are 1 one year old, 3 two year olds, 1 three year old and 1 four year old)
7:45-8:30/9- play in dining area, blocks, animals, Barbies a variety of bins of toys are available for the kids to play with. I check bums durning this time.
8:30/9-9:30/10- we move to the play room where the kids have access to the bulk of the toys.
9:30/10-10/10:30- bathroom and morning breakfast
10/10:30-10:30/11- some kinda of craft painting, coloring, playdoh sensory bin etc.
10:30/11-11/11:45- weather permitting we head outside to play
12-12:30-lunch
12:30 bathroom
12:30/1-1:30/2:30- nap, as kids wake they play in the living room
2/2:30-3:10 wake up tidy up nap area bathroom
3:10-3:40 afternoon snack, school age kids arrive, get ready for outside
3:40/4-4:30/5- outside play and pick up.

Durning bathroom time we sing and play games while everyone is waiting, we do stories after meals. Inbetween we do things like exercises games and movements. A few times a week we so baking for breakfast for afternoon snack in the morning when they play in the dining area.

Any feedback, suggestions, and ideas would be very appreciated.
mommiebookworm 05:29 AM 03-12-2015
Just curious, are they like that before they've had breakfast? Maybe they're hungry? Most providers I know have breakfast around 8.
Unregistered 05:42 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
Just curious, are they like that before they've had breakfast? Maybe they're hungry? Most providers I know have breakfast around 8.
Yes all day lately, maybe a bit better after meals and rest. Do they do breakfast and morning snack? Because all I offer is morning snack I just call it breakfast. All the littles eat before they come (or are suppose to) my 1 year old can't make it that long so he has a little snack around 8/8:30 usually.
LysesKids 06:07 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
All my kids have a bottle/milk before arriving and we do a Breakfast snack between 8-8:30 because all are here by then... I do lunch at 11 and afternoon snack 2:30... dinner is between 5:30-6 once a week because of 2 late stays
All my kids are under 24 months
mamamanda 06:11 AM 03-12-2015
Maybe some kind of circle time to break up the morning? Not necessarily like counting & abc's, but just time to sit and focus for 15 minutes while you read a story, sing a song, talk about the day, etc. I have a sunshine on a popsicle stick that I pass around and whoever has the sunshine gets to share something they enjoyed from the day before either at daycare or at home. They love that! Even my 21 mo old enjoys watching the kids pass it around. It seems like you have a long play time even though it is divided into two areas. My kids get really antsy and rowdy if they have too much free play all at once. I find breaking it up even by 15 minutes at a time helps tremendously.
Our schedule looks like this, keeping in mind it is always flexible depending on the kids' needs:
8:00 Breakfast
8:30 Free play inside
9:00 Circle Time
9:30 Outside play weather permitting/free play inside
10:15 Morning snack (Light)
10:30 Craft Time/Experiments/Sensory Bins/etc.
11:00 Back Outside weather permitting/free play inside
12:00 Lunch & Story Time
12:30 Rest Time
2:00 Quiet Play/Bathroom Time/etc.
2:30 Afternoon snack
2:45 Outside play/free play inside
4:00 Bathroom break and either outside play/indoor game and puzzle time until pick up
Unregistered 07:42 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Maybe some kind of circle time to break up the morning? Not necessarily like counting & abc's, but just time to sit and focus for 15 minutes while you read a story, sing a song, talk about the day, etc. I have a sunshine on a popsicle stick that I pass around and whoever has the sunshine gets to share something they enjoyed from the day before either at daycare or at home. They love that! Even my 21 mo old enjoys watching the kids pass it around. It seems like you have a long play time even though it is divided into two areas. My kids get really antsy and rowdy if they have too much free play all at once. I find breaking it up even by 15 minutes at a time helps tremendously.
Our schedule looks like this, keeping in mind it is always flexible depending on the kids' needs:
8:00 Breakfast
8:30 Free play inside
9:00 Circle Time
9:30 Outside play weather permitting/free play inside
10:15 Morning snack (Light)
10:30 Craft Time/Experiments/Sensory Bins/etc.
11:00 Back Outside weather permitting/free play inside
12:00 Lunch & Story Time
12:30 Rest Time
2:00 Quiet Play/Bathroom Time/etc.
2:30 Afternoon snack
2:45 Outside play/free play inside
4:00 Bathroom break and either outside play/indoor game and puzzle time until pick up
Do you find it hard to go out 3 times per day? We have about 4-5 feet of snow in the yard and banks around it about 6-7 feet. It's been getting milder so everything is sloppy. I have to dry everything each time we come in. Plus the kids are constantly getting soaked. Boots coats snow pants etc but it's not warm enough for rain gear. The struggle lol
nothingwithoutjoy 09:24 AM 03-12-2015
I wouldn't assume that they are bored due to lack of structure. It may very well be that they're feeling very cooped up by this point in the year and are at each other more due to that alone. Even when you go outside, it's not quite the real running you can do when the ground is clear, you know? It's definitely a good time of year to pull out some new activities: rotate toys, do some super-fun sensory activity, etc. And I agree with some other posters that I'd feed them sooner.

As far as daily routine, in my opinion, it's best to have as few transitions as possible, with large blocks of time for play so that kids can really dive in and get deeply engaged. Our routine right now is:

8-9: Arrivals. Limited play options as we start our day: books, toys in one room, sometimes baking.

9:00 Morning snack (which also functions as a meeting time).

As soon as we're finished eating, we go to the bathroom and then head outside. (In warmer weather, we start the day outside and have snack out there.)

11:00 Come inside to very limited options: books or the one thing that's out on the coffee table, while I prep lunch.

11:15 Lunch. As kids finish, they clear, go potty, wash hands, brush teeth.

Whenever they're ready: circle time (which we do in the room where they nap).

12:00-2:00 Nap.

2:00 Potty, then indoor play. Now everything is available (toys, books, art studio). Snack is out for whenever they want it (though generally they all eat right away then get to playing).

4:30 Go home.

I'd spend a few days observing and taking notes. When do they struggle? What are they playing with best? worst? not at all? Are there areas in which there are more struggles (i.e. too many kids trying to play with blocks, with not enough space?) And then I'd tweak based on what you notice.

Good luck! It's such a hard time of year. It's getting super sloppy wet here, too, and I just can't wait until we can just run outside and play without any gear on!!
KSDC 09:47 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I wouldn't assume that they are bored due to lack of structure. It may very well be that they're feeling very cooped up by this point in the year and are at each other more due to that alone.

I have been having cases of the Grumpies here too! I find that if I build in more active play it helps. Lots of action songs. Or freeeze dance. Or action books/games that get the kids moving.
spinnymarie 11:15 AM 03-12-2015
I agree that this time of year is hardest - everyone NEEDS to get outside and often we just can't yet. But, can't hurt to change things around a bit!

At our DC, kids over 1 follow this schedule:

7:30 - 8:00 : Table toys (only a few very specific toys are out, although kids under 18 months do get other things out occasionally)
8:00 - 8:30 : Circle Time (again, kids under 18 months usually wander in and out)
8:30 - 9:00 : Wash Hands/Breakfast/Bathroom
9:00 - 10:00 : Outside Play Time
10:00 - 11:30 : Indoor Free Play - projects and activities are done in small groups during this time
11:30 - 12:15 : Wash Hands/Lunch/Bathroom
12:15 - 2:30 : Rest Time
2:30 - 3:00 : Wash Hands/Bathroom/Snack
3:00 - 4:00 : Indoor Free Play
4:00 - 5:00 : Outside Play Time
Annalee 11:25 AM 03-12-2015
The only thing I have documented times for are breakfast, lunch, nap and outside play. I am open from 6:00-4:30. Breakfast is at 7:30, lunch at 10:30, nap at 11:30, and outside play for an hour in the afternoon. We are required to have at least 3 1/2 hours of free play in between these times so I was advised by my mentor to be vague on the schedule leaving room for child-directed and adult-directed intervals in particular due to QRIS guidelines. Having specific times means you have to meet those consistently while being observed. So when I read a book, some may join in while others play in other areas. I do not set times for diapering nor washing hands....this will take place as needed.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:01 PM 03-12-2015
I do breakfast (claim as am snack) before 9. Usually right now it is at 7:30. If I need to do 2 "seatings" I do. Lunch is usually 11 although this week daylight savings has us off and it has been 11:30- 12. 3:30-4 is our "dinner" aka afternoon snack with all meal components.

I try to offer a couple different "invitations to play" during the week. Usually in the sensory bin but could be a different toy. I have been saving mushroom "baskets" for one day I think those some tape, maybe some dixie cups could be some awesome morning. If you look on my fb page (MrsSteinelsHouse) you will see what I mean. Play begets play. Once they start figuring out play they will play better and more. So in the beginning it is hooking them in. I really think longer periods of play make for better play and less bickering. If mine are in each others faces I do try to steer them apart a bit. I may work with one individually on something, add something in the mix (who would like to come play playdoh now? or M would you like to work with me on your letters? he is 5 and is a starting to form some letters so we have been working on it) Sometimes just asking one of them E can you help little one- I think she might need you to show her how to put those blocks together can restructure who is doing what. E is starting to take on big kid role so I like to let her do that.

Anyway- switch out toys, move breakfast back a bit. Think individually, what does _ need from me? to get some snuggle time reading a book, something different to build with? Self help skills? I have them sort socks, fold the "towels" washclothes for the bathroom, practice putting on shoes etc. What can you put in a sensory bin? Instead of thinking group think individual and then the group will come together. J loves music what can I put out with that in mind. M is starting to skip- make sure to ask him to do that for me. You get the idea, I think we think one plan for today and really for me it is 6 plans. They are not a herd of cows.
Indianadaycare 12:12 PM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I do breakfast (claim as am snack) before 9. Usually right now it is at 7:30. If I need to do 2 "seatings" I do. Lunch is usually 11 although this week daylight savings has us off and it has been 11:30- 12. 3:30-4 is our "dinner" aka afternoon snack with all meal components.

I try to offer a couple different "invitations to play" during the week. Usually in the sensory bin but could be a different toy. I have been saving mushroom "baskets" for one day I think those some tape, maybe some dixie cups could be some awesome morning. If you look on my fb page (MrsSteinelsHouse) you will see what I mean. Play begets play. Once they start figuring out play they will play better and more. So in the beginning it is hooking them in. I really think longer periods of play make for better play and less bickering. If mine are in each others faces I do try to steer them apart a bit. I may work with one individually on something, add something in the mix (who would like to come play playdoh now? or M would you like to work with me on your letters? he is 5 and is a starting to form some letters so we have been working on it) Sometimes just asking one of them E can you help little one- I think she might need you to show her how to put those blocks together can restructure who is doing what. E is starting to take on big kid role so I like to let her do that.

Anyway- switch out toys, move breakfast back a bit. Think individually, what does _ need from me? to get some snuggle time reading a book, something different to build with? Self help skills? I have them sort socks, fold the "towels" washclothes for the bathroom, practice putting on shoes etc. What can you put in a sensory bin? Instead of thinking group think individual and then the group will come together. J loves music what can I put out with that in mind. M is starting to skip- make sure to ask him to do that for me. You get the idea, I think we think one plan for today and really for me it is 6 plans. They are not a herd of cows.
LOVE this!
Heidi 04:30 PM 03-13-2015

That's why my FB page likes your FB page.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:33 PM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:

That's why my FB page likes your FB page.
aww thanks
It is definitely a work in progress- especially my philosophy over the past year.
Heidi 04:47 PM 03-13-2015
aww thanks
It is definitely a work in progress- especially my philosophy over the past year.
Mine too, I've finally put to paper what I actually DO. If you get a chance, look at mine. I just liked you with my program page (I had before under my name). There's a link to my website, too. I completely revamped my parent handbook, my curriculum is now on paper, and we are moving to a house with 100% dedicated space. Life is good right now!
Controlled Chaos 07:38 AM 03-15-2015

mamamanda 08:07 PM 03-15-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you find it hard to go out 3 times per day? We have about 4-5 feet of snow in the yard and banks around it about 6-7 feet. It's been getting milder so everything is sloppy. I have to dry everything each time we come in. Plus the kids are constantly getting soaked. Boots coats snow pants etc but it's not warm enough for rain gear. The struggle lol
It doesn't bother me personally, but I can see that it could be a lot more work depending on ages & set up. We don't go outside a lot when there are mounds of snow due to the cold temps, but we transition through activities and back to the play room the same way. I leave all coats/shoes at the back door when we come in each time & we are working on independent skills so most of mine can put on coats and shoes with minimal assistance. I find myself coming back in pretty often for potty breaks anyway. I'm convinced my son's bladder is the size of a grain of rice.
Reply Up