Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I know we all make mistakes, but I'm kicking myself!
Unregistered 05:25 AM 03-17-2015
Idiot. I am an idiot. DCM texts me 2 days ago - DCG has a lower fever, what is your policy? I copy/paste the policy and send it back in text. She says thank you. Next AM she tells me she is keeping DCG home due to her being tired and cranky even though she hadn't broken the 100 degree mark (She was at 99.8). This meant I had no DCKs since the others are gone for the day with Spring Break/teachers kids/etc. THAT caused me to make a bad decision.

DCM texts me, "DCG is feeling fine, no fever, can she come over for 2 hours so we can go to an ultrasound (she is 37 weeks)?" .... "Ok."

Dangit. Now my DD has a fever this AM of 102 even though DCG seemed pretty much fine yesterday. Of course DCM is like "Sorry! Well DCG never had a fever THAT high so she must have not got it from her."

Moments like these I really want to make parents pay for my sick days as I take a pay hit because that DCG came while DCM knew she wasn't feeling well and spread germs. But then I remind myself what a very very very unintelligent daycare provider I was being and that's what caused this - Parents will always make bad choices, I am suppose to make the right ones.

UGH. Look! I just flushed over $200 down the drain today because I let a possibly sick DCK in my door.
Thriftylady 05:36 AM 03-17-2015
I get that it hurts to loose the money. But you made the best decision you could at the time. Don't kick yourself around so badly!
AuntTami 06:33 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Idiot. I am an idiot. DCM texts me 2 days ago - DCG has a lower fever, what is your policy? I copy/paste the policy and send it back in text. She says thank you. Next AM she tells me she is keeping DCG home due to her being tired and cranky even though she hadn't broken the 100 degree mark (She was at 99.8). This meant I had no DCKs since the others are gone for the day with Spring Break/teachers kids/etc. THAT caused me to make a bad decision.

DCM texts me, "DCG is feeling fine, no fever, can she come over for 2 hours so we can go to an ultrasound (she is 37 weeks)?" .... "Ok."

Dangit. Now my DD has a fever this AM of 102 even though DCG seemed pretty much fine yesterday. Of course DCM is like "Sorry! Well DCG never had a fever THAT high so she must have not got it from her."

Moments like these I really want to make parents pay for my sick days as I take a pay hit because that DCG came while DCM knew she wasn't feeling well and spread germs. But then I remind myself what a very very very unintelligent daycare provider I was being and that's what caused this - Parents will always make bad choices, I am suppose to make the right ones.

UGH. Look! I just flushed over $200 down the drain today because I let a possibly sick DCK in my door.
To be honest, since she never broke the 100 degree mark and I didn't have any other kids; I would have done the same and taken the kiddo. I don't have my own kiddos to consider but you can take comfort in knowing I would have done the same thing! Try not to beat yourself up so much.
Peaches 06:45 AM 03-17-2015
I have young kids of my own and understand your frustration. You made the best decision you could at the time, just mark it up as a learning moment.
finsup 06:47 AM 03-17-2015
100.4 or higher is what I go by here, acting fine and temp under that, good to come! Remember kids are most contagious 2-3 days before symptoms even start so chances are your dad could havebeen exposed earlier and just getting it now hope she feels better soon!
Baby Beluga 08:16 AM 03-17-2015
Don't be too hard on yourself

I had a mom send me a similar text a while ago:

DCM: So and so may not come tomorrow. So and so has a low grade fever.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. What is so and so's temp?
DCM: 101.5
Me: Sorry DCM, but per my illness policy so and so must stay home until fever is gone for 24 hours.

(My policy states anything over 100). I have found (by doing similar things you have done) to always ask what the temp is before giving my policy out over the phone or text. Besides, if they would have saved their paperwork then they would be able to look themselves
daycare 08:28 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
100.4 or higher is what I go by here, acting fine and temp under that, good to come! Remember kids are most contagious 2-3 days before symptoms even start so chances are your dad could havebeen exposed earlier and just getting it now hope she feels better soon!
Don't beat yourself up, but this....

there is no way we could stop our kids from getting sick. We can try our best to prevent it, but kids are usually the most contagious before symptoms even start. I have also just learned that they are also the most contagious at the end of an illness too.

I have started telling parents that ALL of the children are really better off if we can extend that full 24 hours policy becuase not only are the other daycare kids at risk, but the child getting over being sick still has a lowered immune system and can pick up a new illness by coming back too soon. My DCP have been really good about this lately.
Josiegirl 09:43 AM 03-17-2015
I would have taken her also. Anything 100 and under, as long as they don't 'act' sick.
Do you get paid whether you close or not? Something I started a few months ago was they pay 52 weeks a year, no matter what. Might be something to think about?
Reply Up