Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2017, 10:10 PM
NH&M's Avatar
NH&M NH&M is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1
Question Head Lice

Hello,
I have a home daycare. One of my kiddos parents let me know at 9:30 tonight that their child has head lice. I've read a few policies and have one as far as when the child may return. However this is only the second time that I have had to deal with this. The first time was about 6 months ago, the same child. I am closing tomorrow so that I can completely treat my home. I did this last time as well. Do most people close for a day? or is this overkill? I know that tomorrows parents are inconvenienced and a few are annoyed. I feel that they would be more inconvenienced and annoyed if their children went home with head lice....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Ladybugs's Avatar
Ladybugs Ladybugs is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 15
Default

Ugh, lice is a nightmare. If this is the second time in 6 months this child has had lice, that tells me that, most likely, the parents arenít treating him and/or the home very effectively.

Pave never dealt with lice in daycare but I certainly think closing for a day is reasonable. Not sure what your state regs are but you could always tell the other parents that youíre required to close for 24 hours for treatment. I would recommend that you exclude that child until you see for yourself that there are no lice, nits or eggs in his hair (check several spots throughout his head and if you see anything, back home he goes). Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH&M View Post
Hello,
I have a home daycare. One of my kiddos parents let me know at 9:30 tonight that their child has head lice. I've read a few policies and have one as far as when the child may return. However this is only the second time that I have had to deal with this. The first time was about 6 months ago, the same child. I am closing tomorrow so that I can completely treat my home. I did this last time as well. Do most people close for a day? or is this overkill? I know that tomorrows parents are inconvenienced and a few are annoyed. I feel that they would be more inconvenienced and annoyed if their children went home with head lice....
This child has had lice twice in 6 months?

I'd be worried about the source.

Most people that have dealt with lice go to great lengths to not have to a repeat so I'd be concerned about the source and why it's happening again.

As for returning to daycare? I wouldn't let them in the door without checking that they are 100% bug and nit free.

I'd also limit where their personal items are stored.

I am not afraid or grossed out by lice at all (it was so common in Head Start that Im just used to it) but the amount of time and attention it take to alleviate the issues is just not something I am willing to do very often.

This might not be well received by some but I'd consider terming a child that has lice "frequently". NOT because of any judgment or fears but because of the time needed to FULLY and ADEQUATELY address and eliminate the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2017, 08:07 PM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,689
Default

Oh I'm so sorry. I had a case of it (well ended up being 2 cases) last summer. In nearly 17 years I had not faced it and I freaked. I made the person that had it first stay out a week and then to be checked by the doctor first. Same with 2nd child. It was funny because when I discovered it, I sent everyone home and told them to do a treatment. Everyone did except 1 child and that 1 child is the one that got it second. I cleaned everything, but then found out they don't live off the head long, so that really was for my own piece of mind, but it did end the ole diaper bag coming into my house. Now they bring me 1 change of clothes, diapers and wipes and that is it. I wish you the best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 PM
HappyEverAfter's Avatar
HappyEverAfter HappyEverAfter is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 424
Default

Ugh, that stinks. I would close in order to clean everything really well. Any of that child's personal items would be bagged up. And as a parent I'd be annoyed to have to deal with the hassle but would appreciate and be glad my provider closed in order to clean properly. Side note, I previously had a coworker who got lice and couldn't seem to get it to go away. Turns out her dog was infested so it didn't matter how often she treated herself because the dog was all over the house and she just kept getting reinfected. So if you have pets, check and treat them too!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter View Post
Ugh, that stinks. I would close in order to clean everything really well. Any of that child's personal items would be bagged up. And as a parent I'd be annoyed to have to deal with the hassle but would appreciate and be glad my provider closed in order to clean properly. Side note, I previously had a coworker who got lice and couldn't seem to get it to go away. Turns out her dog was infested so it didn't matter how often she treated herself because the dog was all over the house and she just kept getting reinfected. So if you have pets, check and treat them too!
Head lice are specific to humans. You can get human lice only from other humans. You cannot give your pets lice

https://www.ndhealth.gov/head-lice/p..._and_facts.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 AM
HappyEverAfter's Avatar
HappyEverAfter HappyEverAfter is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Head lice are specific to humans. You can get human lice only from other humans. You cannot give your pets lice

https://www.ndhealth.gov/head-lice/p..._and_facts.pdf
Hmmm, interesting. She must have lied about it when she said that's what happened. She actually ended up getting fired because she missed so many days over it. Now Im Wondering if she really had it all those times or if she was just using it as an excuse to miss work.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter View Post
Hmmm, interesting. She must have lied about it when she said that's what happened. She actually ended up getting fired because she missed so many days over it. Now Im Wondering if she really had it all those times or if she was just using it as an excuse to miss work.
What an "icky" excuse. I would have tried super duper hard to find something different to lie about for sure.

But in all honesty she might very well have thought the lice was coming from her pets. They could also have been flea infested so who knows but I do know there are more myths about lice than there are facts and the only reason I know any of what I do is because I worked at Head Start and had to deal with lice pretty frequently so I am OVERLY trained in lice removal and treatment.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

I hate lice. I hate the thought of it. I hate posts about it. My head itches just thinking about it.

I would probably overreact if it showed up here. I would definitely check the child for any sign of them before returning.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
head lice, home daycare, policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Solution to HEAD LICE leahj1010 Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle 3 06-07-2017 11:58 PM
Head Lice Thriftylady Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 03-29-2016 01:24 PM
Head Lice ? JJPlaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 03-06-2013 10:04 AM
The Head Lice Story Part Two ... please read and give in put (long sorry) familyschoolcare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 46 05-30-2012 04:46 PM
Head Lice Detected!! My4SunshineGirlsNY Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 12-31-2010 12:02 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming