Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hours in Daycare
MissAnn 02:50 AM 01-25-2011
Do you have contracted hours.....a time limit each child may be in daycare per day? I have a mom who is a teacher. Her child comes at 6:30 and is often not picked up till 4:30. That is 10 hours! She is off work at 2:15 and she goes to Walmart many times after work. At first I didn't mind...but I am going to increase the hours I am open next year...and I don't want her keeping her child here till closing. I was thinking of a 9 hour limit. What do you guys do?
Cat Herder 03:14 AM 01-25-2011
You can try, I know many here do limit hours, just be prepared for the fallout.

All my parents start out with "I will pick up as soon as I get off work. I can't bear to be away from pumpkin" to "I am taking some ME time" where the kids are here over 10 hours everyday within just a few months of enrollment.

Limiting hours to 9 would require you to keep up with records, daily, all year and constantly have to "remind" and argue them. Having contracted hours sounds like it may be your best/simplest option.

Good luck, hun! This is a newer trend in parenting, I never saw this just 5 years ago...
Little People 03:31 AM 01-25-2011
I contract hours in my daycare. My contract states Full-Time is up to 45 hours for the rate of $105.00, if they need more hours then more pay
Cat Herder 03:51 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I contract hours in my daycare. My contract states Full-Time is up to 45 hours for the rate of $105.00, if they need more hours then more pay
Your post makes me want to clarify mine a bit better....

Limiting hours: IMHO = your child may attend any time within opening hours up to 45 hours per week. Your pick.

Contracted Hours: IMHO = your childs hours are 6:30-3:30, Monday- Friday.

The second option just makes it easier so there is less work and arguing for you. Less wiggle room for parents makes for a happy provider with a routine she/he can plan activities around, IMHO
momofboys 04:02 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by kareng:
Do you have contracted hours.....a time limit each child may be in daycare per day? I have a mom who is a teacher. Her child comes at 6:30 and is often not picked up till 4:30. That is 10 hours! She is off work at 2:15 and she goes to Walmart many times after work. At first I didn't mind...but I am going to increase the hours I am open next year...and I don't want her keeping her child here till closing. I was thinking of a 9 hour limit. What do you guys do?
I had a similar problem with a teacher last year only she did actually get out later, school was not out until 3:30 & her work was about 15-20 min from my home. In reality she COULD have been at my home by 4:15-4:30 most days; however, she chose to run around & do other things & she would never pick up until 5:00 pm. So her kids were normally in my care from 7:15 until 5:00 (school didn't start until 9:10!!!!!). I strongly advise you go with contracted hours only or set a 9 hr limit. Good luck!
dEHmom 04:37 AM 01-25-2011
I know many teachers here (in Manitoba), and my sister is one. They are not allowed to leave the property of the school until almost 4pm when school bell rings at 330pm. They have to be there for clean up, prep for tomorrow, make sure all kids have gone home, etc. Are you sure she is not staying at the school for half hour, and then driving to your place?
lil angels 04:43 AM 01-25-2011
I tried telling the parents they needed to be here and they would just lye about their hrs.
dEHmom 04:50 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I tried telling the parents they needed to be here and they would just lye about their hrs.
if they are lying then they are disrespecting you, flat out disrespecting you and your policies.
Raise their rates by 5/week everytime they pick up late. and keep raising it. They can either hit the road, and pay you more.
MissAnn 05:04 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
I know many teachers here (in Manitoba), and my sister is one. They are not allowed to leave the property of the school until almost 4pm when school bell rings at 330pm. They have to be there for clean up, prep for tomorrow, make sure all kids have gone home, etc. Are you sure she is not staying at the school for half hour, and then driving to your place?
She is out at 2:15 and stays till 3:00 and picks son up at 4:30
dEHmom 05:06 AM 01-25-2011
I would tell her she needs to be there by 330. If 330 hits and her son is still in your care, either charge her overtime hours, or raise her rate weekly
momofboys 05:17 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
My teacher DCM was out at 3:30 & had to stay on school property until 3:50 so there was no reason why she couldn't be at my home by 4:15 or so.
dEHmom 05:29 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
My teacher DCM was out at 3:30 & had to stay on school property until 3:50 so there was no reason why she couldn't be at my home by 4:15 or so.
yeah i guess it depends how far the travel is though. IF she gets out 20 minutes after the bell rings, and has to drive half hour, then it's going to take her a while, especially if she has to warm up her car or something first.
Lilbutterflie 05:32 AM 01-25-2011
I think contracted hours are the way to go. All 3 of my dck siblings are here for just about 10 hours, but we live in the suburbs and dcm has a 30-45 min commute each way. Add in her hour lunch and that's a minimum of 10 hours that she needs for daycare. I should say though, that her husband (father to one, stepdad to two of the children) does not have to be at work until much later in the morning, but it's mom who always brings them. The reason? They only have one set of carseats and they stay in dcm's car. **Sigh**
MarinaVanessa 06:21 AM 01-25-2011
Yup, contracted hours but I have in my policies that there is a 10 hour maximum per day. I'm opened more hours than that (6am to 6pm) but each client gets their own schedule of hours that they can be here. Any time that they go over that time frame there is a fee, if they need me temporarily or permanently to watch thei child for more than 10 hours a day I charge a higher overtime rate.
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yup, contracted hours but I have in my policies that there is a 10 hour maximum per day. I'm opened more hours than that (6am to 6pm) but each client gets their own schedule of hours that they can be here. Any time that they go over that time frame there is a fee, if they need me temporarily or permanently to watch thei child for more than 10 hours a day I charge a higher overtime rate.
That is exactly what I do too but my limit on hours is 9 per day. But since changing it has worked out pretty well so far.
littlemonkeys 07:26 AM 01-25-2011
I have a few dcm's that are teachers and one of them is constantly challenging my contract. My dc hours are from 7-5:30pm with a 10 hour/day max, and the rate for each additional minute thereafter is $1. I have NEVER charged a parent for going over the 10 hours or past the 5:30pm mark. I felt it is in my contract for those who abuse it and I will give a warning a couple of times and then start charging.

When I interviewed this dcm, she said she needed dc from 6:30am-3:30pm I told her since she'd be picking up early I'd make an exception and wouldn't charge her my $10 fee for coming early. I started noticing around week 4 that her days were getting later and later and before I caught it she started picking up at 4:45 - 5pm. I just think that's really rude. When I brought it up to her she completely broke down my contract and challenged EVERYTHING. Still having issues with her now which I'm about to start a new thread on.

Sorry for going on and on...
momma2girls 08:52 AM 01-25-2011
I have teachers as well- when I had a closing time of 5:00 they would each come at 5:00 or after!! Now I have contracted work and commute times only!
They would each come at 7:30 or before as well!! SOmetimes they would have meetings at 7:00, then they would come at 6:45 or 6:30 and leave their children here til 5:00. I also have a 9 hr. limit!!
MissAnn 09:12 AM 01-25-2011
Iowa daycare...
How is your contract with teachers? Do you save spots during summer? Make them pay a few a days a week to save the spot? What about all their breaks?

I am going (I think) to try to NOT have a different contract for teachers than everyone else. I realized I was giving perks to teachers that my year round parents were not getting....such as 1/2 price for fall, Christmas and Spring breaks.....that adds up to 2 free weeks a year.....plus I was saving their spot for the next year.

Instead....I think I will give each parent 1 free week after they've been here a year.......and if they need a spot saved for any reason....they will need to pay 2 days per week.

Yes....I'd like some insight on this!
littlemonkeys 09:27 AM 01-25-2011
Iowa daycare...
How is your contract with teachers? Do you save spots during summer? Make them pay a few a days a week to save the spot? What about all their breaks?

I am going (I think) to try to NOT have a different contract for teachers than everyone else. I realized I was giving perks to teachers that my year round parents were not getting....such as 1/2 price for fall, Christmas and Spring breaks.....that adds up to 2 free weeks a year.....plus I was saving their spot for the next year.

Instead....I think I will give each parent 1 free week after they've been here a year.......and if they need a spot saved for any reason....they will need to pay 2 days per week.

My dcp that are teachers are supposed to pay me the whole month of September in advance to hold their space and it's non-refundable. If they refuse to pay then I just tell them that I cannot guarantee their space in the fall.

This is what Lilbutterflie responded to an earlier thread of mine regarding extended leave...

Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Here's the portion of my contract for my extended illness policy:

Extended Leave:
Extended leave is any time a child is not in daycare for more than two consecutive weeks for any reason (maternity leave, a parent or child’s serious illness, teachers who have the summer off, out of state custody agreements, etc…). I do not offer an unpaid extended leave for families because my business and my income are based on my enrollment at all times. I do offer to keep the spot open for you using the following guidelines:

I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks at half your weekly rate. You may continue to bring your child during these weeks for 2 days a week at this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 2 days per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

If the extended leave is unplanned (ex: a serious illness), full payment is expected for the first 2 consecutive weeks off.

Full payment for the first 2 consecutive weeks off of the extended leave is not expected if it is a planned leave of absence & I have received at least one month’s notice. If If the beginning or end of the leave occurs during the middle of the week (resulting in the child in daycare for three or more days for the week), payment is expected at regular rate for that week. Extended leave payments are still due every other Monday AM & follows the normal payment policy.

I had to add something b/c 2 of my 3 dck's have a dad that lives out of state, and they are with him for 6-8 weeks out of the year (this year, it was a straight 6 weeks).
I don't mind anyone using it at all, that's what this forum is for! As for teachers that want two weeks with no pay in the winter, it wouldn't hold up with this policy b/c ANY leave has to be longer than 2 weeks to get the 1/2 rate.

This will be my first summer dealing with this, so I am interested to see your responses.
momma2girls 12:12 PM 01-25-2011
Iowa daycare...

I do hold spots during the summer- 2 weeks deposit to hold the spot, plus 2 more weeks, and those two weeks goes towards your 2 weeks of daycare starting back up! I held a spot for a teacher once during the summer for only 2 weeks, and 2 weeks before school started, she ended up going to her best friend's daycare that finally had a spot open for her. So now I have increased it to 4 weeks! I do not have a seperate contract for teachers. I did give all of my teachers a break for winter and Spring breaks this yr. though- 1/2 the weekly rate.
busymomof2 01:07 PM 01-25-2011
When I first started in August I contracted with no more than 9 hours a day. However, I had one family request an extra hour because she worked 8-5 and with lunch she needed 10 hours to include driving time. Another family practically kills themselves to get here within the 9 hours and gives up part of her lunch- also works 8-5pm. I also found that I was losing clients because most work 8-5. As of Jan 1st I increased my hours to 10 but I no longer give a 15 minute relax time before I start charging late fee either.
cherryhill 01:32 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

I would like to have contracted hours, but I do not think any of my parents would go for this. I am open 10 hours and the kids are here exactly 10 hours or longer even if they have the time off. I honestly think they know their kids are bad and hard to handle and would rather not deal with them. I had one parent say that if they knew it was going to be this hard they wouldn't have had her. The other family is divorcing and need their alone time while their child acts out and is very aggressive which I am sure is do to the life change.
momma2girls 12:16 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
I would like to have contracted hours, but I do not think any of my parents would go for this. I am open 10 hours and the kids are here exactly 10 hours or longer even if they have the time off. I honestly think they know their kids are bad and hard to handle and would rather not deal with them. I had one parent say that if they knew it was going to be this hard they wouldn't have had her. The other family is divorcing and need their alone time while their child acts out and is very aggressive which I am sure is do to the life change.
change your times to work and commute times only. If one parent is off earlier than the other one, then they should come and pick up. If one goes in later than other, then they should drop off. The cannot be all working 9 hrs. or more each day.
lvt77 12:34 PM 01-26-2011
I have all of my clients use contracted times. At no time can a child be here past 9.5 hours on any given day. If they are, it is $10.00 an hour.

In the beginning, I give a two week trial, during this time we figure out what hours work best for them. We then decide on the hours and this is what they are contracted to use. No showing up early or late, if so then late fee of $1.00 per min will be charged.

I found that those kids that are in care for very long hours are the ones that were having all of the behavior issues. This is when I said NO more... nothing past 9.5 hours each day...
So far, not one parent has left their child here late...EVER..
Unregistered 03:56 PM 01-26-2011
I do daycare at my home, so here is what I do. I am open from 7:30am - 5:30pm. Those are my hours and even if the parents get off before that and I have the child until 5:30, it doesn't bother me. They are paying me for hose hours, so I feel I have no right to tell them to pick up the child before that as long as they are paying me those hours. I guess I look at it as I am running a business and those are my business hours.
Rachel 10:31 PM 01-26-2011
Around here there are standard hours, and parents can use what they want within those hours. Some people work half days (daycare 7 or 7:30 - 1:30), and some full (7 or 7:30 - 4 or 4:30).

I'll be working for the community organization next year, so I will be working 7 - 4:30 (their rules). Here full time work is over 42 hours per week, so it's not always easy for parents to juggle with only 9.5 hours of daycare (I live in a suburb, so parents have commute time also). They are the standard hours though across the country, so employers are used to it. When I did home daycare privately in the past I worked 8:00 - 1:15 and still had people coming.
DBug 04:32 AM 01-27-2011
Yep, I subscribe to the "they're paying for it, so it's none of my business" side of the issue. I have kids here long hours, usually because of work and long commute times, but I also have three dc moms that are off on mat leave right now, and their kids still come. I figure if they're paying me for 12 hours, they have every right to use any amount of that time, and it's really not my concern what they're doing during that time.

That said, I do enjoy the ocassional dc kid's day off now and then .
Tags:contracted hours, daycare hours
Reply Up