Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Large Toddler Bib Pattern?
Sunchimes 05:04 PM 11-05-2011
I have 12-14 month olds. They are in the early stages of finger foods and most refuse to let me feed them, preferring to use their fingers or try their spoons. And that's fine with me.

But, I can't find a bib large enough to protect their pant legs, and cleaning the seat of the high chair is a real chore. I was thinking that if I had a really huge big, it would make meal time simpler. I'm thinking of something that is bib-ish around the neck but widened to drape over the arms of the high chair beneath the tray and maybe went under the tray in front. I'm thinking I could velcro them to the high chair sides and front. Or something.

I bought some parachute cloth, but I haven't found time to design a pattern. Does anyone have a source for a really large bib that solves the seat/lap problem?
HeatherJ 05:19 PM 11-05-2011
For my son I made bibs out of hand towels. I used super soft, thick, absorbent towels and cut a hole in them and then sewed on some kit ribbing around the edges of the hole. Knit ribbing is stretchy and it fit over his head easily. While he was sitting down, the towel covered his lap, shoulders, and his entire shirt. It kept his pants clean, too, it covered his lap, like if you were to put a napkin over your lap. These were my absolute favorite bibs.
You can also purchase them, I didn't find any that were as thick and soft as I wanted, nor were they quite big enough to cover his lap.
HeatherJ 05:22 PM 11-05-2011
This is exactly what I am talking about:

http://www.vanillajoy.com/handmade-dish-towel-bibs.html
HeatherJ 05:27 PM 11-05-2011
The ones I made were a little bigger, like this one:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71326870...facet=handmade
countrymom 05:29 PM 11-05-2011
where can I buy the knit ribbing, I've looked every where. I too have the same problem. So I went to a craft show and this lady had these huge bibs (more for older folks) but they would work great, she was selling them for 10 dollars a piece, I forgot to go back and buy some.
HeatherJ 05:36 PM 11-05-2011
I bought mine at a fabric store. I cannot remember which one. It was probably Hancock Fabrics or Joann's. It is probably no more than $8/yard. And you would need very little, not anywhere near a yard.
Sunchimes 06:44 PM 11-05-2011
Thanks Heather. That should protect their clothes. Something to keep me from having to dismantle the high chairs 3 times a day may be asking too much! Now I need to find some baby sized shower caps to keep them from getting it in their hair.
SilverSabre25 07:03 PM 11-05-2011
You could always just strip them down to their diapers when eating messy things. :P

I also made bibs out of towels--dish towels though. I just took dish towels and diaper pins and pinned the towel around their neck. Worked pretty well! I always meant to go back and sew velcro to the corners so I wouldn't have to mess with the pins, but didn't get around to it.
Kaddidle Care 07:14 PM 11-05-2011
Art smocks?
Unregistered 05:36 AM 11-06-2011
I use bibs that have a little pocket that catches the food droppings. These work great for me. I wash them by hand and hang them, and then once a week I put them through my washer for a good clean- don't put them in the dryer, they have a plastic that will melt on everything. Hang dry them. These work great for me. I picked them up at BJ's and TJ Maxx. They come in like five packs. I think I have three packs that I rotate.
Nellie 08:21 AM 11-06-2011
I use cloth diapers. The ones that are not pre fitted and if you were to use it as a diaper you would have to fold it. I just tie them around there necks and the diaper is big enough to cover the shirt and their lap.
mac60 03:07 AM 11-07-2011
I buy the safety diapering safety pins and use a dish towel. Works great, big enough to cover from chin to knees as they sit in the highchair.
Tags:bibs
Reply Up