Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Small Town vs Large??
sfp 10:03 PM 04-26-2012
I am planning to open a small preschool center in my area. Trouble is, I can't decide where. I live in a small town (less than 8,000) and worry there is not enough room for growth and maybe even not enough kids that need care to keep my bills paid. However the daycares are always full when I call and they are using waiting lists.

The other town I'm considering is a little under 200,000 and always booming. It is only 30 minutes away from me....but it's just not MY town. However, I think I may have more of a chance of a successful business there.

Anyone doing well in a small town or do I need to stick with the big town numbers?
itlw8 07:57 AM 04-27-2012
It all comes down to need. a city with 200,000 does not mean there is need. people will not drive across the city for childcare they want it near their work or home.

are the centers in the city full also?

I went back and saw you said preschool center so a preschool that is 1/2 day??? yes the city will have more parents that do not work and want preschool

or a center with a preschool program.. either place can work if there is a need
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by sfp:
I am planning to open a small preschool center in my area. Trouble is, I can't decide where. I live in a small town (less than 8,000) and worry there is not enough room for growth and maybe even not enough kids that need care to keep my bills paid. However the daycares are always full when I call and they are using waiting lists.

The other town I'm considering is a little under 200,000 and always booming. It is only 30 minutes away from me....but it's just not MY town. However, I think I may have more of a chance of a successful business there.

Anyone doing well in a small town or do I need to stick with the big town numbers?
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now
sfp 11:31 AM 04-27-2012
Thank you blackcat31.

Yes, I should have stated that more clearly. I mean a daycare center with a 1/2 day preschool. I live too far out in the country to do anything out of my home. So I'm looking at either renting a home for a smaller operation or leasing a building.

This whole thing is overwhelming...but I'm learning a lot. I'm excited for this journey!
cheerfuldom 11:35 AM 04-27-2012
Do you know how big you are wanting to get?
sfp 11:50 AM 04-27-2012
I would like to be a decent sized center...40+. I know that will take some time, but that is my goal. It's an overwhelming decision.... start small and expand or... "build it and they will come"....
cheerfuldom 11:55 AM 04-27-2012
I would always advise to start small, especially if you dont have experience in owning a small business. If you have tons of experience in all things daycare related, managing employees and finances, etc. then maybe now is the perfect time to really reach for those dreams.
sfp 11:59 AM 04-27-2012
I have several years experience in daycare, preschool and in managing (not owning) a small business.

I really believe I can handle the business side of things, I'm just unsure where to start and how big to go. There are so many pro's and con's for both.

I do have this feeling that the right place will find me... Maybe I'm right.
3girls 02:59 PM 04-27-2012
What if you look for a building in both areas and see where you find one you like and fits your budget?
sfp 07:04 PM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by 3girls:
What if you look for a building in both areas and see where you find one you like and fits your budget?
I think thats a good option. I really feel like I'll know the right place when I find it... I'm just anxious now with all the "not knowing".

Patience.
Reply Up