Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had my first day. Logistics question.
TwinMama 06:39 AM 03-12-2015
I had my first day and it went well! I have one little 9 month old and a 3 year old 3-4 days a week along with my twin 9 month olds.

Overall it was a good day. The 3 year old really liked yoga. We also made cupcakes together and did a painting project with everyone's feet.

The biggest question I have is that we spent our day on the main floor of the house (ranch style home). I put my two in their own beds for naps, and the other little guy in a pack and play in our room. I would like to spend our days in our finished basement that I have set up nicely but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I have an office downstairs that I have pack and plays in but they would wake each other up. Do I have the 3 year old come upstairs with when putting the babies down? That would then leave the other infants that aren't sleeping yet unsupervised.

I have a fence Playard I could lock the infants in but I don't know if that's a good idea either.

Suggestions?
KSDC 07:40 AM 03-12-2015
My children all sleep in the same room. Once they get used to the arrangement, it can work fine. Honestly, most children can sleep through anything.
jenboo 07:44 AM 03-12-2015
They get used to sleeping together.
daycarediva 07:51 AM 03-12-2015
Get them used to sleeping in the same room together. White noise, classical music, or whatever for background noise helps.
permanentvacation 07:54 AM 03-12-2015
I would also suggest having all of the children in the same room. Or on the same level of the home, in different rooms ONLY if you can see ALL the rooms at once no matter where you are. For example, I have a townhouse and I used to use my living room and dining room for daycare and it worked well. There are no doors between the two rooms and I can see all of each room from anywhere I am in the other room. So the kids had more space, but I could see them at all times. I only changed it and took my dining room back because I really needed an office area for myself.

I know that many people put the babies in a separate room for them to sleep. That worries me, though. You never know when a baby will start to try to climb out of the playpen/crib. And you won't be checking on them to make sure they are breathing alright as often if they are in a different room. It will take some time for all your children to get used to sleeping through each other's noises and your house noises as well as the noises they hear from outside, but, they will get used to all the noises and in a little while, will sleep through anything.
TwinMama 08:03 AM 03-12-2015
So would you all suggest to try and put the baby that fusses to bed first. He does it for like 5 minutes.

I think it's crazy that they could sleep in the same room.

How did you get that to work Without them waking each other up?

Oh...and I have video monitors in my kids rooms but in our room I have just a speaker monitor.
AuntTami 09:00 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
So would you all suggest to try and put the baby that fusses to bed first. He does it for like 5 minutes.

I think it's crazy that they could sleep in the same room.

How did you get that to work Without them waking each other up?

Oh...and I have video monitors in my kids rooms but in our room I have just a speaker monitor.
I would either put him down first and let him fuss while you put the others down, or put him down last in the hopes that everyone else is asleep/sleepy enough that he doesn't wake them. All of mine sleep in the same room except if I have my little 2mo old PT infant. He sleeps in a pack n play in whatever room were in. I have one in every room we use for daycare.
mommiebookworm 09:09 AM 03-12-2015
My kiddos are comforted by sleeping all in the same room. They like knowing their friend is right next to them. I also use a fan for white noise.
jenboo 09:13 AM 03-12-2015
They will learn to sleep through the noise of others. It could take a week or so. At centers, kids all sleep in the same room. Infants sleep on one side of the room while the awake ones play on the other. They all manage to sleep just fine.
It just take some white noise and time to adjust.
Gemma 09:18 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
They get used to sleeping together.

I keep them all together, they ado get used to all kinds of noises and when the younger ones cry, the rest of them don't even budge
AmyKidsCo 09:23 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:

I keep them all together, they ado get used to all kinds of noises and when the younger ones cry, the rest of them don't even budge
Lucky you! My under-twos sleep in the living room and when one coughs or sneezes the other wakes up. They've been in there for over s year so I've given up hope of them getting used to it.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:44 AM 03-12-2015
When my oldest went to another in-home daycare, I did not like it that the provider would put my baby in a separate room to sleep. on another story no less...ESPECIALLY when I would pick up and he was crying and she was busy with another child.

Now that I do daycare, I now know that it isn't allowed if the room isn't hard-wired with it's own smoke detector for licensure, and it kinda falls into a gray area of supervision requirements. Sleeping together is just another norm for group care.

My pack-n-plays are right here in the playroom. I have never had a child or baby not get used to sleeping through noise. ALL of my clients have told me that because I do it this way it is a huge selling point.

It is also great for the ones that aren't napping to learn how to play somewhat quietly on demand, which is a tool the parents can use at home too. They love our tricks of the trade. And all the kiddos learn to sleep despite some noise level, which is an excellent life skill.

Honestly, I don't want daycare in every room of my house. It already gets my living room, kitchen, one bathroom, and backyard. But it's up to you what you do and what works for you!
TwinMama 12:36 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
When my oldest went to another in-home daycare, I did not like it that the provider would put my baby in a separate room to sleep. on another story no less...ESPECIALLY when I would pick up and he was crying and she was busy with another child.

Now that I do daycare, I now know that it isn't allowed if the room isn't hard-wired with it's own smoke detector for licensure, and it kinda falls into a gray area of supervision requirements. Sleeping together is just another norm for group care.

My pack-n-plays are right here in the playroom. I have never had a child or baby not get used to sleeping through noise. ALL of my clients have told me that because I do it this way it is a huge selling point.

It is also great for the ones that aren't napping to learn how to play somewhat quietly on demand, which is a tool the parents can use at home too. They love our tricks of the trade. And all the kiddos learn to sleep despite some noise level, which is an excellent life skill.

Honestly, I don't want daycare in every room of my house. It already gets my living room, kitchen, one bathroom, and backyard. But it's up to you what you do and what works for you!
I agree with that which is why I'd like it to remain downstairs. My kids sleep fine with the vacuum cleaner running and everything. The other day care infants parents do "cry it out" with him. He cries for around 5-10 minutes.

Maybe I can put my two in the play area and have him in the office. The older kids can
sleep on the couches.
CraftyMom 12:45 PM 03-12-2015
It depends on the infants. They won't ALL sleep if in the same room. I know from experience with an infant that just left. I had 2 infants 8 mo and 10 mo. The younger would sleep anywhere. The older one barely slept here at all no matter what I did. I separated him and that's where he slept best (by that I mean 15 minutes at time). I couldn't keep him with the others because he would SCREAM and keep them awake.
Reply Up