Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Did You Make Him Stay?
daycare 09:03 AM 05-17-2011
so yesterday I have two DCK that show up with mild cold symptoms. Slight runny nose and coughing. Nothing major.

One of the DCK was whining off on and through out the day that they did not feel good. However, would then go right back to boucing off the walls. Did this for most of the day and the child seemed fine.

Nap time comes and everyone is out in less than a minute, wow that never happens......So most of the kids wake up normal time exept this one DCK.

DCk wakes up at almost 4:00 while the rest of us carry on whith out day. When the DCK wakes, she is a mess. Whining and tantrum throwing. btw shes 4.5. So DCK finally says I want to go home I dont feel good. I place the call and dcm, but no answer so I call mom's BF who I know is home not working.

the BF answers the phone, sounds like he just woke up. I explain what is going on and I get yelled at for waiting to call for pick up until 4:30. BF goes on to say that I should not have forcerd her to stay here and that is just wrong. I should have sent her home earlier when she was whining.
I twll him that if I were to have to send a child home every time one whined, I would be sending kids home 10 minutes after they got here. I then go on to tell him that I will leave it up to them if they want to pick up early or not since there is only a few hours of the day left.
Again the yelling starts and says that I need to wake up and realize when a child is too sick to be at DC. BF then tells me I am coming to pick her up right now.

When the BF arrives, he's being very rude. I also had to explain the DCK was constipated and maybe they can give her something to help her to go to the bathroom. the BF says, "well I made steak and potatoes, so that's just too bad". I say nothing. As DCK is bouncing off the walls again, BF looks at me and says "wow she looks really sick, glad I was woken up to come to your rescue"....

So of course, i just smile and say see you tomorrow.... I am so taken back by this and feel so disrespected.

I want to talk to the mom about this, but not sure what to say or how to say it. the mom is super sweet and one of my best clients here. Always on board with my advice and really takes action in her child's life.
I don't want to throw him under the bus, but would you say something.
missnikki 09:10 AM 05-17-2011
I would tell mom:

"Is ____ feeling any better? I was hoping it wasn't anything too big, since yesterday she was fine one minute and droopydrawers the next. I think I may have upset your BF, he seemed a little cranky, I guess I woke him up when I called at 4:30. Tell him I'm sorry to have bothered his nap...so glad she's feeling better! I'll keep a close eye on her to see if I notice anything and I'll give you a call if she's not able to participate again."
PeanutsGalore 09:11 AM 05-17-2011
Throw him under the bus? Who cares? I don't deal with adults who treat me like dirt. I'm polite until I can't handle it anymore, then I am liable to have to hold myself back from hurting someone; at the very least, I will probably pull out my razor-sharp tongue, which won't make anyone (including me) happy.

Which is why I won't deal with it. I'd just let the mom know casually next time you see her that until he learns how to deal with people politely, you won't be communicating with him anymore. He's nobody to this child anyway--he's not the dad. If he's just an emergency contact, ask for another one.
laundrymom 09:11 AM 05-17-2011
Yes,... I would. You didnt throw him under the bus, he jumped in front of it on his own. He treated you with no respect or manners. Had a dad talked to me like that,..... It would be the last time. In fact. I would tell him that.
Originally Posted by daycare:
so yesterday I have two DCK that show up with mild cold symptoms. Slight runny nose and coughing. Nothing major.

One of the DCK was whining off on and through out the day that they did not feel good. However, would then go right back to boucing off the walls. Did this for most of the day and the child seemed fine.

Nap time comes and everyone is out in less than a minute, wow that never happens......So most of the kids wake up normal time exept this one DCK.

DCk wakes up at almost 4:00 while the rest of us carry on whith out day. When the DCK wakes, she is a mess. Whining and tantrum throwing. btw shes 4.5. So DCK finally says I want to go home I dont feel good. I place the call and dcm, but no answer so I call mom's BF who I know is home not working.

the BF answers the phone, sounds like he just woke up. I explain what is going on and I get yelled at for waiting to call for pick up until 4:30. BF goes on to say that I should not have forcerd her to stay here and that is just wrong. I should have sent her home earlier when she was whining.
I twll him that if I were to have to send a child home every time one whined, I would be sending kids home 10 minutes after they got here. I then go on to tell him that I will leave it up to them if they want to pick up early or not since there is only a few hours of the day left.
Again the yelling starts and says that I need to wake up and realize when a child is too sick to be at DC. BF then tells me I am coming to pick her up right now.

When the BF arrives, he's being very rude. I also had to explain the DCK was constipated and maybe they can give her something to help her to go to the bathroom. the BF says, "well I made steak and potatoes, so that's just too bad". I say nothing. As DCK is bouncing off the walls again, BF looks at me and says "wow she looks really sick, glad I was woken up to come to your rescue"....

So of course, i just smile and say see you tomorrow.... I am so taken back by this and feel so disrespected.

I want to talk to the mom abotu this, but not sure what to say or how to say it. the mom is super sweet and one of my best clients here. Always on board with my advice and really takes action in her childs life.
I don't want to throw him under the bus, but would you say something.

daycare 09:15 AM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I would tell mom:

"Is ____ feeling any better? I was hoping it wasn't anything too big, since yesterday she was fine one minute and droopydrawers the next. I think I may have upset your BF, he seemed a little cranky, I guess I woke him up when I called at 4:30. Tell him I'm sorry to have bothered his nap...so glad she's feeling better! I'll keep a close eye on her to see if I notice anything and I'll give you a call if she's not able to participate again."
lol thanks for your words they were very needed... Not sure if you ever get like this, but I am just so taken back by the rudeness that i just want to pop!

lol my words would not be words that I should say, so I will use the ones you gave me....thanks so much
Meeko 09:17 AM 05-17-2011
Throw him under the bus.....twice.
wdmmom 09:30 AM 05-17-2011
I would tell the mom that you and your professionalism were belittled at your front door by her bf and that you won't tolerate it again. Tell her that if he doesn't want to have to pick up Suzie-Q that she is welcome to add someone else to the list.

Tell her that you understand the inconvenience it is to pick up early and tend to a sick kid.

If she asks what he said, I would tell her the whole story.

I might even go as far as saying that you don't want to have contact with Mr. Rudebutt Boyfriend.
daycare 09:34 AM 05-17-2011
I dont know why I cant find my backbone with this... I guess I am always the one that does not want to feel responsible for making drama....lol Even though I know that the BF is the one that did it to himeself.

Thanks for all of your replies, you guy are very helpful with chosing the right words to use. I hate this part of the business.....
missnikki 10:16 AM 05-17-2011
And I forgot to add, that guy is a real doosh.
daycare 10:20 AM 05-17-2011
And I forgot to add, that guy is a real doosh.
lmao, see that is the first word that came to mind when I thought of what I wanted to say.....D-bag.....ugghhh
PitterPatter 11:16 AM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont know why I cant find my backbone with this... I guess I am always the one that does not want to feel responsible for making drama....lol Even though I know that the BF is the one that did it to himeself.

Thanks for all of your replies, you guy are very helpful with chosing the right words to use. I hate this part of the business.....
I lack a backbone myself but the way this man treated u was totally unacceptable! I think I would have barked back at him and I would at the very least throw his ass under the bus!

I would take a minute to discuss this with DCM. U can start by saying how much u appreciate her and her kindness but that u do not appreciate how her bf spoke to u. I would then explain exactly how it made u feel and if she asks tell her what he said. I would also tell her that from now on u will not be contacting him. I would contact her and let her send him or go to next in line.

I had to deal with a cocky bf once and it didn't fly with me! My contract was not with him so I told him he could kiss my grits!

I think as long as u show respect to the DCM and she does the same in return then there shouldn't be a problem. Good luck to u with this arrogant horses ass.
momma2girls 12:44 PM 05-17-2011
After yrs. of doing daycare, you learn on your own to stand up for yourself over and over again!! I have dealt with unselfish, rude, crappy, etc. parents and boy let me tell you never again. You put up with something so long, and then you think to yourself, why did I ever put up with that, in my own house, under my rules, etc. etc.......
Kaddidle Care 01:52 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
kiss my grits!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUX8yzMmjok

My Dad has a saying "You can only get walked on if you lie down and let 'em do it to ya."

You let the jerk talk to you like that, don't let him do it again. Tell DCM he's not welcome in your home again. Please provide a different contact.
Luna 02:01 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

My Dad has a saying "You can only get walked on if you lie down and let 'em do it to ya."

You let the jerk talk to you like that, don't let him do it again. Tell DCM he's not welcome in your home again. Please provide a different contact.
Exactly this. I have had to deal with a person like this as well and that is what I did...not welcome and I need a different contact person. No one is going to come to my door and treat me like that and I'm not giving them another chance. This is a peaceful happy place and it's going to stay that way.
You deserve to be treated with respect.
Cat Herder 02:09 PM 05-17-2011
http://youtu.be/C-okDJA5CVw

Hope your week gets better....
PitterPatter 03:36 PM 05-17-2011

Yep that's where I got it from! I watched that when I was younger, I loved the show Alice!
Kaddidle Care 06:06 PM 05-17-2011
Shhh! We're showing our age - a lot of these gals probably never heard of Alice.
PitterPatter 06:26 PM 05-17-2011
Shhh! We're showing our age - a lot of these gals probably never heard of Alice.
Oh yeah oops. And I can't blame reruns either like I Love Lucy. Why doesn't TV Land put that on. It's classic! Another I miss... lets see if u can get it. A greenhorn with a griz...
nannyde 06:38 PM 05-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
http://youtu.be/C-okDJA5CVw

Hope your week gets better....

OMG that is hysterical.
nannyde 06:41 PM 05-17-2011
Loved Alice

I Love Lucy was wonderful too.

I met Lucille Ball once when I was a Nanny. She lived down the street from the Grandpa of the kids I cared for in Beverly Hills. The kids I cared for played with her grandchildren and I became friends with their nanny. The kids were super nice kids too.. I think their last name was Luckinbill IIRC.
CdnMumof4 08:45 PM 05-17-2011
wow, the guy sounds like a real...uhm...treat.

I'd throw him under the bus, then back over him a few times

can we send them away the second they whine?? cause I'd love to ship my ownn out on a daily basis. I sent my two oldest [my personal children] back to bed this morning, to "wake up again" ... ha
missnikki 07:30 AM 05-18-2011
Now I have the theme song from Alice in my head:

"There's a new girl in town....and she's feeelin' good
Got a smile, got a song for the....neighborhood..."

If that's wrong, sorry...that's how I remember it
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 05-18-2011
Now I have the theme song from Alice in my head:

"There's a new girl in town....and she's feeelin' good
Got a smile, got a song for the....neighborhood..."

If that's wrong, sorry...that's how I remember it
"Things are great when you stand on your own two feet!
And this girls here to stay, with some luck and love,
life's gonna be so sweeeet!"

LOVED Alice!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDlkYPVNic
Kaddidle Care 11:31 AM 05-18-2011
Hey - that clip didn't have Flo!
daycare 11:34 AM 05-18-2011
So I grew up in Egypt... About the same era as the show Alice.... I did not really ever get to watch it, but when I did, this is what I thought all americans were like... It was my ideal american. So when I came to the us at the age of 14 I was shocked to see that there was no Alice like people around. At that time I could not even find the show. My all time favorite was I love lucy. I thought she was the american dream house wife....lol
Tags:disrespectful parents
Reply Up