Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Morning Snack Question
kendallina 10:01 AM 10-13-2011
For those that serve a morning snack, what do you serve? Do you basically serve the same food as you do for afternoon snack? Or are the foods more 'morning' foods (fruits instead of veggies)?

I used to work at a preschool that was on the food program and the preschool company already had menus made out by our nutrition department. The morning snack was always things like yogurt, fruit, toast with peanut butter, etc. Afternoon snack had veggies, crackers, etc. Is that how everyone does it??

I've been doing mostly fruits, peanut butter toast, yogurt, etc as I can't seem to wrap my head around carrots with ranch at 10:00 in the morning. But, our 'theme' for the last couple of weeks was healthy foods and during our veggies taste test, i found out that a lot of my kiddos really liked veggies. I only have kids in the morning (preschool), do you think it's okay to serve veggies in the morning??

Well, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be...
laundrymom 10:21 AM 10-13-2011
I do veg in morning as often as I do fruit in the afternoon. :-). I like tomato soup and grilled cheese in the winter for morning snack if we play outside. Yum.
blueclouds29 10:22 AM 10-13-2011
i do easy peesy snacks. Cheerios, crackers, goldfish, etc. Nothing that is a mess and requires washing of them or bowls. I do easy ones cause i have a picnic table outside that i sometimes give them snack outside.
AnneCordelia 10:26 AM 10-13-2011
I am not against veggies! I do both a morning and afternoon snack so I often just save the carrot sticks, sugar peas and other veggies for afternoon. But, I'm not against them in the AM! If I only served an AM snack then I would serve veggies occasionally.

I try to squeeze in as many fresh fruits and veggies as possible because my DCKs will often eat them for me but will refuse at home. I always serve a fruit at AM snack, and a fruit & veggie and PM snack.
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 10-13-2011
I probably do more veggies for snacks in the morning than in the afternoon because it seems the kids are hungrier in the morning than they are in the afternoons.
I get fewer wrinkled noses and squishy faces when I do the veggies in the morning. ....and hungrier tummies means a higher likelihood of them being willing to eat something they would normally turn their noses up for.

I also think it is a bit odd to think of ranch dip and carrot sticks in the morning but we are talking about kids who would happily eat Skittles for breakfast if we served them.
godiva83 10:28 AM 10-13-2011
I say anything goes!!

Who says what food should be eaten when, right. IMO omelets taste the same at dinner as they do for lunch lol

If they love veggies- they are one step ahead and good for theM

I usually have a lighter AM snack, veggies dip, pinwheels, cheese crackers and fruit, yogurt and fruit, muffins, bean salad, pasta salads, hummus and pita
kendallina 11:02 AM 10-13-2011
LOL...thanks ladies! I'm really needing a little variety, so veggies it is!!
Solandia 11:06 AM 10-13-2011
I do healthier snack in the morning (which usually requires more cleanup,too). Morning snacks:Yogurt&all-bran, cheese&raw veggies, rice cakes&PB, apple slices&PB, hardboiled eggs on half a 12-grain bread slice, cottage cheese & peaches. I try to stay away from the crackers and crap in a box.

Afternoon snack is cracker of some sort & milk. So graham crackers, cheesy crackers, wheat thins, ritz, triscuits... the easy cleanup,no prep stuff.

Friday afternoon is my TGIF treat snack, so we will have Nilla wafers & bananas w/ a dab of pudding, or animal crackers, pretzels with a little tub of white chocolate to dip, oatmeal cookies, birthday cake (if there is a birthday coming up). That sort of stuff. Once a week isn't going overboard with sweets....it is the ONLY time I serve them anything sweet like. It is a nice tradition the kids absolutely love, and makes a great ending for the week.
WImom 11:10 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Solandia:
I do healthier snack in the morning (which usually requires more cleanup,too). Morning snacks:Yogurt&all-bran, cheese&raw veggies, rice cakes&PB, apple slices&PB, hardboiled eggs on half a 12-grain bread slice, cottage cheese & peaches. I try to stay away from the crackers and crap in a box.

Afternoon snack is cracker of some sort & milk. So graham crackers, cheesy crackers, wheat thins, ritz, triscuits... the easy cleanup,no prep stuff.

Friday afternoon is my TGIF treat snack, so we will have Nilla wafers & bananas w/ a dab of pudding, or animal crackers, pretzels with a little tub of white chocolate to dip, oatmeal cookies, birthday cake (if there is a birthday coming up). That sort of stuff. Once a week isn't going overboard with sweets....it is the ONLY time I serve them anything sweet like. It is a nice tradition the kids absolutely love, and makes a great ending for the week.
I do alot of the same. Afternoon snack is something easy and quick since it's so busy for me at that time. I prefer something non messy. Friday's is kids choice for both snacks since I try to use up stuff that's open already.
Meyou 11:11 AM 10-13-2011
I do fruit in the am, veggies at lunch and I mix it up in the pm.
youretooloud 01:11 PM 10-13-2011
Usually muffins or some sort of baked goods.

The afternoon snack is small. Maybe a piece of fruit, or carrots, or crackers. The kids leave very early around here, and they all eat again in the car, then at home...so, the parents are always worried that they won't eat dinner. LOL
Reply Up