Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Accused Me Of Watching TV
godiva83 08:12 AM 10-22-2011
Okay so on Friday at pickup a parent said, " x, knows how to say Tree House, and some of the shows- I hope you aren't parking them infront of the TV all day."

Excuse ME, first off X only comes here P/T and if you say you never watch TV why was it on for her to show you she knew what it was?
We dont have a TV in our playroom and I run a structured preschool like program here, so I was offended. Also, why is it that parents are so quick to attack when something 'negative' happens but all the great things go unappreciated.

Instrad Why dont you accuse me of teaching X colours, words, to count, to sing, or praise me on all the artwork, baking and photos I send home? What about the field trips that are no extra cost to them???
I do so much for my DCK's and I am almost at the end ready to say, " because nobody seems to care enough about the daily reports, the creative projects, field trips, bi- annual progress reports I am going to STOP. I simply will provide a happy, save, healthy, nurturing environment you can provide the rest."
Thanks for letting me vent! What would I do with out daycare.com
godiva83 08:14 AM 10-22-2011
Oh and yes, we do watch some programs if it is raining or on a special occasion which I told him
Kaddidle Care 08:24 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Okay so on Friday at pickup a parent said, " x, knows how to say Tree House, and some of the shows- I hope you aren't parking them infront of the TV all day."
I would have said "I do hope you are kidding." Then the stink eye.
godiva83 08:29 AM 10-22-2011
Ugh- I really wish I did, but no I got caught off guard and offended
So I rambled something out
Sugar Magnolia 08:47 AM 10-22-2011
Sigh....((((Hugs))))) it is so sad when the big things we do go unappreciated, or even worse, un-noticed or un-acknowledged. You're right to feel hurt by this parent's remark. I'm so sorry that happened to you.
themoorethemerrier 09:00 AM 10-22-2011
"Well, I thought that was an upgrade from the soap operas... No good?"

The first day here my 2yo dcb told his dad that we got out the bats in his pants. I'm assuming that he was thinking about the game "ants in the pants" but I just "uh???" But then I got to hear some good stories of what happens at their house - I figure we're even.

I concur, this place is marvelous.
Maddy'sMommy 09:35 AM 10-22-2011
We watch TV here once and a while. I think Treehouse has some good shows for kids. My girls like Thomas, Toopy and Binoo, and Max and Ruby.

I can absolutely not stand Yo Gaba Gaba, it's too loud, or In the Night Garden, which I just find weird. lol.
nannyde 02:03 PM 10-22-2011
Usually........ not always....... but usually when parents are strict about TV at child care they are really saying that they want their kid to just have tv on their clock.

They know the difference between how glued to the tv their kid is when they have gone all day without it. They want THAT when they get them home. If the provider allows tv then the kid won't be quiet and happy in front of the screen when they do tv at home.

Some parents don't use tv at home and really don't want their kid having it at child care. That's a very small percentage tho. When you have a parent REALLY protesting about tv there is a REALLY good chance that the kid watches a LOT of tv at home so they are protecting that with the rules they have for you.

It's the same thing as parents wanting their kid to be up all day at day care. It's almost ALWAYS so they can have them sleep more on their clock and go to bed easily for them at night.
daycare 02:21 PM 10-22-2011
I knowhow it feels when parents come at you like that, it sucks. Sorry you had to experience this.

I have found that everything we do for these kids has to because we get joy out of teaching and love to see them grow.

I have wonderful FT that I spend about 300 on monthly outof my pocket. I reach out to the community as our classroom and go above and beyond for these kids. BUT

Any time a child does something negative at home,DAYCARE is the blame and I get attacked.

Ive taught several children to read, spending countless hours with them daily, just to have parents say,oh little sussie is reading because I down loaded a reading game ap on my iPhone!

I used to get upset! But I'm not going to let it get to me. I do this for the kids, not the parents.
Unregistered 05:57 PM 10-22-2011
The TV is rarely on here but there are times (rainy day, quiet time for older ones) when I DO put on Treehouse...BUT I am quite "amused" that some of the kids can tell me what the show is before it even starts or even better, rhyme off songs or names of shows, etc. from shows that they should NOT be watching!

I've never had anyone say anything to me but the TV is so rarely on that they don't have much to complain about...I used to have one little guy who was always the last one here for an hour or so alone so we watched "Monster Jam" (monster truck show) together...I'm not into monster trucks but he loved them and there wasn't anything on there that was bad for him to see or hear...I pretended to have a favorite truck and he loved that too..his mom was a bit anal but she never minded him seeing that show...
SandeeAR 06:58 PM 10-22-2011
Ok, so what is Treehouse? and What channel is it on?
Ariana 06:38 AM 10-23-2011
Yep childcare is a THANKLESS job!!! As long as YOU know all the great things you're doing for the kids that is all that matters
godiva83 07:11 AM 10-23-2011
Thanks everyone!!
I agree with everyone, and Nan you are right that seems to be the case. I remember telling X's mum a while ago that she knew a lot of cartoon characters from the books we had.
It was just a slap in the face
blueclouds29 08:12 AM 10-23-2011
right now my tv has been on a lot lately only because i'm 9 weeks prego and feel like ^%^% and so neusea! I only have 4 kids, 2 years and younger so mostly just back ground noise. I don't think any of them cept my own DD that's 2 1/2 really watches it. But the tv doesn't really help as you would think.
laundrymom 08:56 AM 10-23-2011
I don't know what treehouse is either.
MyAngels 10:46 AM 10-23-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I don't know what treehouse is either.
I googled it - it looks like a Canadian channel that would be similar to the Sprout channel where I live with programs like Angelina Ballerina, Barney and the like.
godiva83 10:47 AM 10-23-2011
Treehouse is a channel with only children's programming. Max and Ruby, Thomas, Four Square ect my DS watches it in the evening after dinner and before bath he loves it!!
choirlady76 05:45 PM 10-23-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Usually........ not always....... but usually when parents are strict about TV at child care they are really saying that they want their kid to just have tv on their clock.

They know the difference between how glued to the tv their kid is when they have gone all day without it. They want THAT when they get them home. If the provider allows tv then the kid won't be quiet and happy in front of the screen when they do tv at home.

Some parents don't use tv at home and really don't want their kid having it at child care. That's a very small percentage tho. When you have a parent REALLY protesting about tv there is a REALLY good chance that the kid watches a LOT of tv at home so they are protecting that with the rules they have for you.

It's the same thing as parents wanting their kid to be up all day at day care. It's almost ALWAYS so they can have them sleep more on their clock and go to bed easily for them at night.

Exactly! They make these requests to fit their needs at home. I teach preschool and we have one parent who insists her child not nap and oneday she got really upset with the aid who handles aftercare that her child was napping. We have explained to her that her child doesn't have to sleep but that she must rest and lie on her mat. But seriously, how are we supposed to keep a child from sleeping, and there are days when children are just more tired than other days.
wdmmom 07:40 PM 10-23-2011
Prior to being a childcare provider, I was a working mom and had my daughter in daycare.

I wouldn't care what my child was doing while in daycare. As long as she has toys, is being fed, changed, etc., what's the big deal if the tv is on or not?!

There's days when I'll put on Super Why while I'm fixing lunch. The kids will watch it quietly for 10 minutes and they are up and playing toys and couldn't care if the tv is on or not.

I'd be more thankful that my child was watching TV rather than fighting, bullying, being mean, not following the rules, biting, hitting, etc.

Some parents need to be more thankful!
2ndFamilyDC 05:07 AM 10-24-2011
My newest dcm does not want her baby to EVER watch tv. It causes ADHD she says.

Her baby (3 1/2 Mths old) is the first one here in the morning, it is more then an hour before another kid arrives.

I have the news on when they arrive and she says make sure his head is turned away from the tv.

This is the same mom who said exersausers cause bowleggedness. I found out she gets all her information from a website called babycenter.

I do have my tv here, in the morning til breakfast. So maybe 20 - 30 min. of a cartoon til breakfast.

Then when I am getting lunch on the table, so again for about 20 minutes and then again the last 30 minutes my dc is open - if we are inside the house.

So not to much in a day I don't think.

The parents need to focus on the positive things that happen here during the day, not the miminal time the tv is on. (she is the only dcp that has ever mentioned the tv in my 22 years of doing this)
Unregistered 09:05 AM 10-24-2011
I think there is a time and a place for TV.

There are some awesome learning shows out there. PBS is one....Sprout is another.

If you use the TV as an all time sitter........well then, you will get zoned out kids that won't hear you when you try to talk with them. I am talking extreme TV. Some kids the TV can be on and they could care less, stop and watch for a while but others will Zone---

Common Sense again. Too much of anything is not good for anyone. I find kids don't learn to use there imagination when they are surrounded by electronics and TV. Over use.

I use video's here, and have some great learning shows. I mostly use them to incorporate music into my program. The older VHS tapes are favorites. Gymboree has some good ones. Sing along songs. Sesame Street sing along.

Shows I don't care for- Thomas. I find all those trains to be depressed looking, more then happy and just boring. But....for a train lover, I can see how they would like them. Disney has some that I don't care for. I find they put little digs that are more geared for the grown ups mentality.

What are favorites of your kids in your care?

Not to forget the OP but what you do while the kids are in your care is up to you. I would tell the parent, sometimes we watch TV, during transition periods, on rainy days, or days where you feel the kids need down time or if you use it for learning, explain that. Respect what the parent does on their time(even when you don't agree-hard to do) so long as the child is safe and cared for. Don't say we never watch TV if you know that you do, but don't let the parents decide how your program is going to run. Be honest. Do what works for you.
sassysue 09:11 AM 10-24-2011
We have a t.v. in the daycare but I'd say we maybe watch 2 hours a month. Some months none.I had a little boy start and the mom was so concerned about the t.v.
I told her it's never on and if I did turn it on it's only for children over 3.
A couple months later I was doing fire prevention week and put on a video.
The little boy(age 2) says"Yes,t.v. time" all excited and runs over to the couch. I put the channel on nickelodeon just to see if my suspiscions were right.He knew ALL the characters on Dora and asked if we could watch Dora,Diego,Sponge Bob and some other crazy show I've never heard of like he does with mom.Needless to say I said something to her and boy was her face red
So funny how them never watch t.v. at home but as soon as I put a show on all the kids know exactly who they are,even what time they come on.
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Prior to being a childcare provider, I was a working mom and had my daughter in daycare.

I wouldn't care what my child was doing while in daycare. As long as she has toys, is being fed, changed, etc., what's the big deal if the tv is on or not?!

There's days when I'll put on Super Why while I'm fixing lunch. The kids will watch it quietly for 10 minutes and they are up and playing toys and couldn't care if the tv is on or not.

I'd be more thankful that my child was watching TV rather than fighting, bullying, being mean, not following the rules, biting, hitting, etc.
Some parents need to be more thankful!
But those activities/behaviors can be teachable moments and can be helpful for the kids when learning pro-social behaviors. When those situations start to happen, I try to help the kids understand how to problem solve and how to deal with conflicts among their peers. Which, in my opinion, is still better than watching TV.

I'd much rather have my child engaged in real-life situations that may start out as negative behaviors such as fighting or arguing with others than watching TV. I am completely anti-television. But that is just me.
Zoe 09:28 AM 10-24-2011
I grew up watching a lot of tv. But then again, I was outside A LOT too. I grew up fine! Our tv is on if someone (or myself) aren't feeling well and we have a movie day. But their attention span really tolerates about 10 minutes before they go play.

The only scheduled time we have the tv on is for about 15 minutes before lunch. I have them all on the couch or in a high chair depending on their age and let them watch Dora or something like that on Netflix while I make lunch.

I understand parents don't want their kids to be plopped in front of the tv every day all day, but come on! TV isn't that bad in small amounts.
godiva83 09:32 AM 10-24-2011
I agree blackcat, that is why I was so taken back by it
We watch it once and a while very rarely, and they know as it will be on the calendar or on the daily report.
Sadly, they brought it up again today- said they asked their mum and she doesn't allow TV.
I am so hurt/ offended I am ready to say if you can't trust me when I say we don't watch TV everyday, you need to make arrangements for another DCP. I dont need to be judged and it is easier to say goodbye then be judged or untrusted. I
Christian Mother 09:37 AM 10-24-2011
My daycare is located upstairs which is all intertwined with the kitchen, family room, restroom, play rooms. All upstairs. I go nutz if I don't have my music on or sound on. When I interview I as the parents about there take on the TV. I tell them the tv is on part of the day. News is on for me til 7am to keep up with current events and then I'll switch it to Disney or channel 8. I don't normally put Nickelodeon on bc I don't think some of those shows are appropriate for a 2 yr old but my daughter loves Sponge Bob..lol!!
The tv goes off at 9am. Then I'll put it on as a distraction during lunch time. After cleaning up toys they may sit quietly watching a disney show while I fix lunch. Then it's off for the remainder of the day. I've never had a parent complain. I do have a child who absolutly loves tv and wants it on all the time if he throws a fit bc it's off he loses all tv for everyone that day. They learn really quick here. LOL!! The tv is a privilege for them. They do not want to miss watching Chugington on Disney.
Zoe 09:48 AM 10-24-2011
We watch it once and a while very rarely, and they know as it will be on the calendar or on the daily report.
Sadly, they brought it up again today- said they asked their mum and she doesn't allow TV.
I am so hurt/ offended I am ready to say if you can't trust me when I say we don't watch TV everyday, you need to make arrangements for another DCP. I dont need to be judged and it is easier to say goodbye then be judged or untrusted. I

You're right. If they trusted you they wouldn't ask so much. I'd say something.
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
You're right. If they trusted you they wouldn't ask so much. I'd say something.
I agree, it sounds more like a trust issue that is bothering you than the topic of the TV. I would absolutley bring it up to the parents and have a discussion with them about the importance of trust in your care. It is important that parents trust you do do what is right by their children and it is unsettling to have a parent question everything you do. I have huge issues with situations like that.

It is entirely possible that the children pick up sayings, songs, discussion tidbits etc about TV shows from their peers. If another kid watches a lot of TV at home what do you think their topic of most conversation is? Um, yeah the TV characters he wants to draw, pretend play about and act like.

I see that all the time. I am a "no TV daycare" but that doesn't stop any of the boys (or girls) here from talking about their favorite shows or what new movie they got over the weekend etc.
Hunni Bee 05:16 PM 10-24-2011
I honestly DO NOT have time for the tv. There's this evil thing that ECC-ERS, Creative Curriculum, etc, people like called "substantial portion of the day". In which they divide the number of hours you are open by three, and however many hours constitutes 1/3 of your operating hours, is a substantial portion. And the kids must be playing with toys and materials for the entirety of that portion, although it can be broken up.

My substantial portion is almost 4 hours, because we're open 6:30 - 6. Never mind that MY room opens at 9:30 and closes at 5. I have to somehow set aside 4 hours for playing out of only 7.5...besides circle time, outside time, lunch, NAP, snack, transitions....there's no way in HELL.

My day is JAM-PACKED...no time for tv.
Crystal 08:41 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:

Her baby (3 1/2 Mths old) is the first one here in the morning, it is more then an hour before another kid arrives.

I have the news on when they arrive and she says make sure his head is turned away from the tv.

This is the same mom who said exersausers cause bowleggedness. I found out she gets all her information from a website called babycenter.

I do have my tv here, in the morning til breakfast. So maybe 20 - 30 min. of a cartoon til breakfast.

Then when I am getting lunch on the table, so again for about 20 minutes and then again the last 30 minutes my dc is open - if we are inside the house.

The parents need to focus on the positive things that happen here during the day, not the miminal time the tv is on. (she is the only dcp that has ever mentioned the tv in my 22 years of doing this)
I would have to agree with Mom here....absolutely NO T.V. for an infant.
Toni's Tots 08:23 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Shows I don't care for- Thomas. I find all those trains to be depressed looking, more then happy and just boring. But....for a train lover, I can see how they would like them.

What are favorites of your kids in your care?
My nearly 5 year old boy is absolutley OBSESSED with Thomas. He has been since he was about 2 1/2 years old. However i see your point with them looking depressed lol.
Unregistered 08:59 AM 10-25-2011
I would have answered, No I don't park them in front of the tv because I know they get plenty of that at home!
Unregistered 09:13 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:

Maybe she wears foil too and communicates with aliens, who knows.

Infants 3 1/2 mths do not watch tv, they still sleep a lot at that age; but i agree its your home she chose, your call as to how much tv is on.

I once had a parent insist on giving her child glass bottles, instead of arguing; I gave the child the standard plastic after she left because it would have been too scarey if one broke.
Focus on the positive, mainly that their child is well cared for and likes daycare.
Tags:parents - accusing, parents - inconsiderate, television
Reply Up