Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hello, Do You Potty Train?
daycare 05:28 PM 09-13-2012
I have had many calls about this or always have parents ask this during interviews.

I was just thinking about it and wondering how many of you get phone calls that ask if you potty train?

And why is it that parents think that we are supposed to PT their kids?
HappyPennie 07:38 PM 09-13-2012
I have never gotten any calls asking if I potty train and I can't recall anyone ever asking about it in an interview either. I have only been doing daycare for a year though, so maybe that will change? Anyways, I would just let them know that you work together with them, the parents, at potty training the kids. It's almost an impossible task to potty train them yourself when they aren't doing it at home. I have a family right now that says their kids do really well at home at going potty. Well let me tell you, here it is not even close. I personally don't think they are ready to be potty trained. Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong...how do you or any other providers potty train at daycare? Do you do the every 30 minutes method (which most of the time is not very practical in my day) or what are some other ways you potty train at your daycares?
sharlan 08:11 PM 09-13-2012
I always tell the parents of toddlers that I will assist them in potty training. I don't recall anyone asking.
daycare 08:45 PM 09-13-2012
Really??

Maybe it's because I live in a snobby area where majority of the families want to hire someone else to do something for them. gggeerrr

No joke, I have parents call and one of the main questions they ask is will you PT MY Kid and then proceed to tell me how they are having problems trying to PT their kid or they just want DC to do it.

I just had a call this morning and when I got to thinking about it, I have also had parents ask me if I could during interviews.

Of course I tell them yes I will help assist YOU when your child is ready....???????
SilverSabre25 04:36 AM 09-14-2012
"Of course I assist with the potty training process, but as with many things, it is something that must be consistent from home to daycare. It is not something that can be done solely while the child is in care, it must be continued at home as well in order for the child to be successful."
momofthree211614 05:33 AM 09-14-2012
I always tell my parents I will help them with training. I usually have a sit down when they bring up the suggestion. I have a check list I use to decide if a child is ready. Then we as a team agree on how it will go. It has worked out great so far, only had one set of parents never tell me they were potty training their child, and show up in underwear one day. But this child was over 3 and only comes 2 days a week, and had been doing it at home for weeks before, so it wasn't an issue the day she came in, in undies.
MyAngels 06:30 AM 09-14-2012
No one has ever asked me during an initial phone call. I don't have anything in either my policies or my handbook about it, either. I can't recall anyone ever having asked me about it specifically in interviews.

Most of the time the parents start the process at home and I get involved when they've had good progress.

Potty training is pretty much a non-issue around here .
cheerfuldom 06:57 AM 09-14-2012
People ask what my policy is. I have it all written out in my contract. Basically parents MUST start and continue the process at home. I only support what they are already doing and do not begin the process here. I also dont continue if their child is really resistant.
Tags:potty train
Reply Up