Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Not A Taxi Service!
Unregistered 04:44 AM 09-10-2012
I have had this family for 5 years. the older child is gone now, but I have the 3 yo. she is going to preschool (which I also do here) a few hours and the mother expects me to cart her back and forth. last year I used to take her child and a few others in the car to pick my kids up, but due to children changing, I am not even going to ask permission. I am walking my kids and can walk hers with them in the morning, but she gets out at 11 am and mom wants me to get her. I told her friday that I cant do it, the weather will not permit much longer, besides its kind of a pain! I have to find someone to take mine, not worried about hers! She thinks the person who takes mine can take her too! fine if the kid was school age. Kicker is.....grandma lives with them but doesnt want to drive the three blocks to bring her! Grandmas health is up and down, but most days she could do it.
She was attitudey this morning, but there is nothing I can do!
LadyMacbeth 03:57 AM 09-11-2012
Its a risk transporting kids back and forth and i too would be unwilling to do it. Good for you for putting your foot down
countrymom 05:41 AM 09-11-2012
I wouldn't do it either. Its bad enough that you need to find a schedual for your own child but then trying to find one for someone elses, no way. Good for you for standing up.
itlw8 05:48 AM 09-11-2012
besides it takes away from preschool time for all the other children and then they do not get their moneys worth.
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 09-11-2012
If you offer transportation services and it is part of your contract agreement then I can see why the mom expects or assumes you will be taking her child.

If it isn't something you normally offer and don't wish to begin offering, I would simply explain to the mom that getting her child to and from preschool is HER problem to address.

Communicating clearly about this issue should solve the problem. If the mom pushes asnd asks why it worked before and why it won't now, I always tell parents that each year brings with it a new group of kids and a new set of issues.

Just because something used to work, doesn't mean it always will.
littlemissmuffet 06:41 AM 09-11-2012
I am always astounded when a parent asks a favor and we say no... and they get mad at us. Fricken grow up and take responsibility of your own child. Most of us do more than enough for these ungrateful parents as it is!

Good for you for standing your ground. This mother can find an alternative arrangement... or you know, use YOUR preschool services.
MarinaVanessa 10:17 AM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

Good for you for standing your ground. This mother can find an alternative arrangement... or you know, use YOUR preschool services.
I'm surporised at her reaction. You already offer a pre-school service in house so transportation isn't needed for her child to go to pre-school. It is the parent's choice to have the child go to pre-school elsewhere therefore it's the parent's responsibility to arrange the child's transportation to and from pre-school.

As for the mom suggesting that whoever takes your child can take hers ... that one is handled easily. You can either

1) tell her that the person taking your child cannot or will not take anyone elses child or

2) that you inquired with the person and that the person suggested payment of $20-$25 a week for time, mileage, has and wear and tear on the vehicle WITH a contract and paid regardless of whether the child goes to school or not including school holidays and vacations. Who knows, if the person taking your child actually gets paid to do this it might be worth their while ... but I highly doubt that the parent will want to pay for transportation. Parents always wants special for free
momofthree211614 08:28 AM 09-14-2012
I just had the same situation with a kid, they never called back after I said I can not drive their child to and from preschool.

I wouldn't do it either.
Reply Up