Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Change of Mind Taking New Baby
delferka 09:42 AM 10-10-2013
Here's my dilemma. I had a few kidlets leave my daycare this fall and went to preschool. I replaced most of them. One is a baby. Here's my problem, one of Mom's of the children that left is pregnant and wanted me to replace the one that left with the baby. I couldn't wait around while her child went to school and her to have a baby so here I am feeling overwhelmed with what I have now. She is due in November and baby would be coming in January. She's assuming I am going to be taking her baby. I have to add in that they are the difficult parents. Always late, forget to pay etc.. Not that that has anything to do with it.. What do you think??
Leigh 09:49 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by delferka:
Here's my dilemma. I had a few kidlets leave my daycare this fall and went to preschool. I replaced most of them. One is a baby. Here's my problem, one of Mom's of the children that left is pregnant and wanted me to replace the one that left with the baby. I couldn't wait around while her child went to school and her to have a baby so here I am feeling overwhelmed with what I have now. She is due in November and baby would be coming in January. She's assuming I am going to be taking her baby. I have to add in that they are the difficult parents. Always late, forget to pay etc.. Not that that has anything to do with it.. What do you think??
I would never replace a "good" family with a "problem" one, no matter the circumstances. You may just have to tell the expecting mom that you simply don't have the space, as she didn't let you know in time or put a deposit on the spot.
delferka 09:53 AM 10-10-2013
Actually, I've known since she became pregnant. Ugh..
Maria2013 09:54 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would never replace a "good" family with a "problem" one, no matter the circumstances. You may just have to tell the expecting mom that you simply don't have the space, as she didn't let you know in time or put a deposit on the spot.

NeedaVaca 09:55 AM 10-10-2013
I would just look to fill the spot for the one you currently have, when the mom has the baby they can go somewhere else and you will have someone lined up to replace them. I also think that if they are difficult parents it does have something to do with it, those are the kind I wouldn't want to go the extra mile for. You know your limitations, don't take the additional baby if you don't think you are up for it.

I have a wonderful DCB and family with DCM due with a baby in January. I do not do infant care...I just know it would be too much for me with the schedule I have the DCK's on. There is nothing wrong with knowing your limits and telling mom you won't be able to accept the infant. There is also nothing wrong with the fact that you took another baby earlier-you can't wait on income so it makes perfect sense to me.
delferka 09:58 AM 10-10-2013
Thank you, that makes sense. It does stink living in a small town!
renodeb 10:02 AM 10-10-2013
To be very honest, I would leave things as they are. If her child left for preschool then technically shes not enrolled there anymore. Nor did she give a deposit. When a parent finds out there pregnant it is a very long time until there born. You did the right thing filling those spots. I would not trade a good client with one that's difficult. You need to call her and tell her that you had to fill those spots. Afterall, this is our livelihood and we have to keep the income coming in the best way we know how. That mom should not of just awesomed she had a spot.
Deb
Leigh 10:03 AM 10-10-2013
Actually, I've known since she became pregnant. Ugh..
You could just tell Mom that you overestimated your abilities, and that you are currently so busy that you just won't have the time to add another infant to your care. Or, a gentle lie: you miscalculated ages when you accepted the last infant, and taking hers would put you out of compliance.
Laurel 10:20 AM 10-10-2013
It is always okay to change your mind.

Just tell her you're sorry but it is not going to work out after all.

Laurel
delferka 10:56 AM 10-10-2013
Another question: Say if I could have taken baby. What kind of deposit would you guys have taken? 5 months will have gone buy between her son leaving and baby coming.
Laurel 01:14 PM 10-10-2013
Another question: Say if I could have taken baby. What kind of deposit would you guys have taken? 5 months will have gone buy between her son leaving and baby coming.
I don't take deposits at all and only hold spaces for 2 weeks. I would never consider going without income for longer. Learned that the hard way!
itlw8 01:19 PM 10-10-2013
I do not take deposits for 5 months in the future If she wanted that infant spot she needed to pay for it.... If you have room but just not sure you want another wait. the one you have will be older then ( so why would you want to replace with a newborn of a difficult parent)
Tags:potential families
Reply Up