Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Irritating Ignorant Comment
blandino 12:46 PM 02-24-2014
We do very little processed food, and do conventional milk at the daycare. We have one DCF who does no processed at home, mostly organic, and sends organic milk for DCG2.

This morning DCD drops off her carton of milk, and I am writing her name in it, when another DCD sees it (he is friends with the previously mentioned DCF), and says "Wow, they send her own milk. I always knew mom was green, but now I think she is a real hippie. That's just crazy".

This DCD has a family that eats all processed foods, his son is a junk food addict. DCM jokes that all her cooking is done in a microwave.

My assistant and I must have looked at him like his head was going to fall off. I wish I had been better about coming up with some rebuttal. But I think the off-put looks he got were enough for him to realize we didn't appreciate his words". I know it must come from a place of ignorance, but to ridicule someone for not wanting to expose their child to all those hormones... It totally got under my skin.
Michelle 12:52 PM 02-24-2014
I get teased daily because I am a vegetarian
You start to get used to it.
You have an awesome " hippy" family that really cares about her kids

blandino 12:55 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I get teased daily because I am a vegetarian
You start to get used to it.
You have an awesome " hippy" family that really cares about her kids
Yep ! I love that this mom does all organic. And she loves that we don't do processed. She is one of 3 families we have that send their own milk. I always applaud them, I wish we could - but the expense would be insane. And I would be irritated by spending the extra, when some of the families go home and eat garbage.
SilverSabre25 12:58 PM 02-24-2014
I would have shrugged and said, "To each their own!" and left it at that. Well and then come here and vented about it.
Cradle2crayons 12:58 PM 02-24-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
Yep ! I love that this mom does all organic. And she loves that we don't do processed. She is one of 3 families we have that send their own milk. I always applaud them, I wish we could - but the expense would be insane. And I would be irritated by spending the extra, when some of the families go home and eat garbage.
I have the same thoughts...my family of three... I provide toothpaste and a toothbrush for each... And before everyone gos to bed I feel the need to brush their teeth... After a few months I began to learn that after mom picks them up at 11:00 pm, they go home and drink soda, eat candy, and drink chocolate milk before they go back to bed... It actually really bothers me... But I know it's beyond my control....
Meyou 01:06 PM 02-24-2014
We get crap all the time from family and friends. Family is getting better after several years off processed food but friends like to do things like ask if we want to attend get togethers since we can't eat anything or calling and make a frigging big deal about sleepovers etc when they KNOW that we let our dd's eat whatever when they get special things like that.

I personally feel it's guilt making them judgey so I just answer politely saying the same things each time, "Don't worry about us! We make exceptions for parties and get togethers and I/we/dd can't wait to see what goodies you make!"
TwinKristi 01:15 PM 02-24-2014
To be honest, some people don't really "understand" the difference, even when they think they do. DCD could have just been trying to be funny. If every parent had some special request, special treatment, etc. it may get old and he was probably trying to "commiserate." Sometimes people with those lifestyles come across in an offensive way. Perhaps something you don't know about has transpired regarding their eating choices.

I had a family who had one of those neurotic FTMs who think you have to do these special things and in this order and with this intent... Just all the picky stupid controlling "I don't trust you but pretend I do" kind of behaviors. They insisted upon bringing organic milk for her son but was buying the Tetra-pak boxed type that's ultra-pasteurized and often shelf-stable or in the fridge for 6wks. (Which she didn't even know it was still only good for 7 days after opening insisting I was wrong to make her take it home Friday because Monday would be the 8th day. I had to show her where it said that and I cannot give it to him!) We buy non-organic local milk which was probably "better" by comparison to her "organic" shelf-stable milk! They would buy whatever was cheapest, and often buying Horizon which is like the worst option of what we have here. We live in an area that is surrounded by dairies!! There's 2 milk processing plants in our city and the dairies are all over! Our local farm was voted one of the most humane farms in the country by a big milk/dairy magazine. Another one has been around for ages and still bottles in glass jugs! Why would you choose an ultra-pasturized organic boxed product made probably 1,000 miles away over something even non-organic in town? All of our milks are hormone free in CA so that isn't even a consideration. Ultra-pasteurized milk is stripped of all the good stuff which is why it's stable for months! Plus the closer to your home your food is grown, packaged, moved... the better it is for everyone!
KidGrind 02:05 PM 02-24-2014
I think the DCD was trying to be funny. I am not an organic or non processed food FCC Provider.

However, I managed to score 2 families that choose that lifestyle. So I just go with it. They figured any provided who uses farm fresh milk in this day & age will work with them. And they were right!

I’ve learned a lot from them. I still drink diet soda & eat Ding Dongs. I also respect their choice and can make it work in my program.
preschoolteacher 02:11 PM 02-24-2014
When my uncle and his young boys stayed at my mom's house recently, she had organic milk in the fridge, but he actually drove to the gas station to buy his kids conventional milk. He was sure organic milk meant raw milk and that it would get them sick.
Reply Up