Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Play by yourself
TwinMama 12:42 PM 10-05-2015
Do you constantly play with your dckids?

I do special activities with mine like art and science experiments. We do something every day. We also play board games and cards. When it comes to free play they still want me to play with them instead of them playing together.

This is the time that I would like to be emptying the dishwasher and switching over laundry.

They just won't let me be. If I tell them I have to do these things then its....are you done...are you done yet? How about now? Can we play Go Fish now?

It's frustrating sometimes and I want to just say....leave me alone please.
laundrymom 01:29 PM 10-05-2015
I don't do laundry or dishes during care hours but I don't play 100% of the time. They need to play with each other. And by themselves part of the time too.
Ariana 01:35 PM 10-05-2015
Nope! A BIG part of being a child is playing without adults. I act as a facilitator to their play; so I help in any way I can by providing materials but they play together. I have kids that come in and are terrible at pretend play and independent play. A big part of my job is to help them become independent players by not getting involved in their play and telling them to go play by themselves. I think children learn best by playing alone without adults.
SilverSabre25 01:38 PM 10-05-2015
I don't play with them. Nope. I will eat pretend food...up to a point. I will color or squish playdough if I don't have something else more pressing. I'll seize a learning opportunity and that sometimes looks like "playing" but it's really teaching. I read stories.

I just have too many things to do during the day to spend all morning or afternoon sitting and playing.
Josiegirl 02:14 PM 10-05-2015
I hop in and out of their activities during the day, especially if I think they might be headed towards a downward spiral. I try to inject some humor into whatever they're doing so that it lightens the mood instead of hitting a full-blown struggle. Or if their play seems to be winding down I'll offer ideas or sometimes I'll even pull out a bucket of something different, plop down on the floor and not say a word to them. Pretty soon they're all joining in and I glide out of the middle of it. Or sometimes I'll point out something about what they doing, whether they're sharing nice or made a big structure or ask what color blocks they like to build with best, what their people are doing, things like that. But as far as playing directly with them...no, not usually.
Mostly, I think their play should be done by them. Besides their imagination is sooo much better than mine. Good time to sit down and observe them too.
kendallina 06:17 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I don't play with them. Nope. I will eat pretend food...up to a point. I will color or squish playdough if I don't have something else more pressing. I'll seize a learning opportunity and that sometimes looks like "playing" but it's really teaching. I read stories.
This is exactly me. I will do a small amount during free play at my preschool or I will seize a learning opportunity, but no, I do not typically play with them. We do lots of activities, so 'go fish' might be a scheduled activity that we do, but then they can play by themselves or with friends for free play.

During my preschool day (which is my morning time), I do not do dishes or laundry. But, for those kids that stay in the afternoon, I consider it childcare and part of that is doing the dishes, dusting the shelves, washing playroom windows and I will occassionally throw in a load of laundry.
Heidi 07:19 PM 10-05-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Nope! A BIG part of being a child is playing without adults. I act as a facilitator to their play; so I help in any way I can by providing materials but they play together. I have kids that come in and are terrible at pretend play and independent play. A big part of my job is to help them become independent players by not getting involved in their play and telling them to go play by themselves. I think children learn best by playing alone without adults.

And I definately do dishes and laundry during the day! It's modeling behavior for the children, it's a direct result of having the children here, and I do not have nor will I make time to do that stuff after a 50 hour week if I can help it.
Play Care 03:04 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:

And I definately do dishes and laundry during the day! It's modeling behavior for the children, it's a direct result of having the children here, and I do not have nor will I make time to do that stuff after a 50 hour week if I can help it.

Frankly, every job has its perks, and the fact I don't spend all day Saturday cleaning/doing laundry, etc is mine. The kids help me sort and put laundry in the washer and dryer. We have to designate the official "dryer sheet" person with each load One of my proudest moments was when a dcm came in on a Monday and told me that her 7 year old took her to task for putting whites in with darks in the washer. The kids in my care are happy, safe and loved *and* they'll know how to properly do their own laundry when the time comes. You're welcome!!

On a side note, I kind of do what Josie does. I do think some kids need to be taught how to play. If I have to get some things done (ie: washing up after a meal, etc) I will set up certain kids with specific activities that are kept aside just for those times (magna-tiles, sorting bears, special puzzles, etc) This was they don't get a general "go play" which can be overwhelming, they are redirected to their specific activity.
Unregistered 03:20 AM 10-06-2015
Generally no here too. I may sit at the little table for a tea party once in a great while. That's about it. I'll play a board game or go fish with them. I generally don't do housework except putting dishes in dishwasher, general clean up after meals, etc. but if my laundry area was on my main floor I'd toss in some laundry here and there. I like what Heidi said about modeling!

I love the idea of getting out a bucket of toys and sitting down with it, then backing off it if kids' play seems headed downward.

I really think kids should be the masters at their own play. Adults can enrich play, but play changes when adults step in.
MsLisa 07:23 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I just have too many things to do during the day to spend all morning or afternoon sitting and playing.
This is me too.
Being that I have nothing but all SA kids, they are pretty good at being self amused or playing together. Often they seem to pair up consistently. I still walk around and see what they are up to, maybe ask a question or throw a comment/compliment. I'm always asked questions, told stories, and keeping things relatively calm but I rarely ever sit down. Only if they engage me will I maybe join and its usually the Kindergartens who still do so. But I will also say "I'll pass, but ____ is looking for someone to play with. Why not ask them to join?" or something like that. It usually works 9 times out of 10.
TwinMama 07:51 AM 10-06-2015
These are fabulous ideas.

I like the modeling comment. I agree. I once had a mom tell me I was crazy when I had them help me wash my floor. They had a blast and my floor had never been cleaner!!!
laundrymom 07:58 AM 10-06-2015
Do your licenses not strictly prohibit activities outside childcare duties during childcare hours? Mine do. And laundry was specifically addressed in trainings. I'm not supposed to even do dishes. Although I do load them straight from table to dishwasher.
Heidi 08:25 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Do your licenses not strictly prohibit activities outside childcare duties during childcare hours? Mine do. And laundry was specifically addressed in trainings. I'm not supposed to even do dishes. Although I do load them straight from table to dishwasher.
Yes and No. Daily maintainance of the home is considered ok, selling Avon is not. Kind of funny, in one state they cite providers for having dirty dishes in the sink, in another, you can't hand wash dishes during childcare. Ridiculous!
Miss A 08:41 AM 10-06-2015
No, I don't play with my kids. But, I read books, and facilitate their play. I observe, and step in to encourage deeper play or use teachable moments that present themselves. We sing songs while they play, and we spend a lot of time outside,where they run and explore. We have trees that they love to try to climb, and a garden that they love to help weed and harvest.

I view my role as helping them to become responsible adults. So, I help to train them with small jobs created just for them. My thinking is that they will become more helpful at home, and be more appreciative of the things that they have.
Play Care 08:53 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Like Heidi stated, certain things are okay (washing dishes, sweeping floors, etc) we were told to make these teachable moments - thus the kids helping with sorting, etc. I wouldn't mow the lawn when I was supposed to be supervising kids my laundry is right off my kitchen - I don't even have a door to the laundry room, it's literally right off the kitchen... If I didn't do day care I would HATE its location
During naps I've clean bathrooms, mopped floors, prepped dinner, etc.

Honstly, the day I'm told I can't do basic cleaning and cooking is the day I hand in my license.
nannyde 09:23 AM 10-06-2015
No way. Why would they want to play with an adult when they have other kids and toys to play with?

I don't want adults playing with kids under my roof. I want to give them the gift of lots of age appropriate toys and age mates. The other kids can teach them far more than I ever could.

I never played with adults in my entire childhood. I asked my Dad and aunt if adults played with them. They looked at me like that wad the dumbest question they had ever heard and said "why?".

The idea of adults playing with kids is pretty new. (Meaning paid adults not parents). You couldn't pay me enough to play with kids. That would be terribly boring.... because it's very age inappropriate... and not natural. Imho
Heidi 10:45 AM 10-06-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No way. Why would they want to play with an adult when they have other kids and toys to play with?

I don't want adults playing with kids under my roof. I want to give them the gift of lots of age appropriate toys and age mates. The other kids can teach them far more than I ever could.

I never played with adults in my entire childhood. I asked my Dad and aunt if adults played with them. They looked at me like that wad the dumbest question they had ever heard and said "why?".

The idea of adults playing with kids is pretty new. (Meaning paid adults not parents). You couldn't pay me enough to play with kids. That would be terribly boring.... because it's very age inappropriate... and not natural. Imho
Thanks for admitting that!

Sure there are times when I lead a song, activity, or game. But, even when they come and bring me pretend Pizza or tea, I say "Maybe X would like some. " I don't reject them, just redirect them.
Reply Up