Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speach issues 2 1/2. Year Old
delferka 06:13 AM 12-21-2017
Hi everyone!
I've been taking care of children like all of you for many years. I've had two children go through speech therapy at my home and it worked like a charm. The boy that I take care of now can barely form words. I mentioned it to his mom and she denied that he has a problem and that she thinks he's fine for his age. I have another little girl here the same age and speaks clearly. I can't understand the boy at all and neither can his little friends. It's frustrating and he's here 5 days per week. Mom went on by saying all of the works that he can't say so hello! I don't know. Just needed an opinion!
Ariana 09:12 AM 12-21-2017
I have been in this situation a few times. Unfortunately if mom is in denial and you recommended speech therapy there is not much you can do. There are likely lots of people, including her DR that are telling her it’s not a problem and he will eventually start talking.

Do your best to help the chikd while he is in your care but ultimately it is not your problem!
delferka 10:33 AM 12-21-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have been in this situation a few times. Unfortunately if mom is in denial and you recommended speech therapy there is not much you can do. There are likely lots of people, including her DR that are telling her it’s not a problem and he will eventually start talking.

Do your best to help the chikd while he is in your care but ultimately it is not your problem!
Is funny because no one in our house can understand him.
Whenever he says something in front of his mother she says, did you hear that? Like he's 18 months old or something. The docs didn't ask the child to say words. She just told him he has a great vocabulary!
daycarediva 10:57 AM 12-21-2017
She's in denial. It's hard to hear your child may have issues.

I wouldn't compare his speech to that of another child, though. Literally no two children are the same.

I had a 4yo who was like that- I could understand 20% of what he said, if it was quiet and he repeated it. Mom swore he was fine. I ended up terming over it, as it was causing HUGE behavioral issues. No peers could understand him, either. He was ending up very socially isolated.

He went to K and I heard he was in spec ed.

That being said, I would do an ages and stages form and send home a blank one. For ALL kids so she doesn't feel singled out.

I find MOST parents don't see faults/delays in their own children easily.

I miss when pediatrician's used to spend time at physicals with patients, now it's so hurried they take the parent's word for it.
Reply Up