Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Don't Send Extra Clothing
StrongMommy 12:27 PM 03-14-2012
Hi everyone, I am new here! Sorry if this has been addressed already. I need help with an issue that occurs here quite often. I make it very clear in my policies that each child must have an extra set of clothing here at all times, however I have two families that consistently do not provide extra clothing for their children.

One of my day care kids peed outside the toilet today by accident and got it all over his shorts. I could provide a change of clothes from my son's closet, however in the past when I have done this, the clothing is never returned. I emailed the mom to ask her to bring some clothes by, otherwise we can't go outside this afternoon and it is gorgeous outside. This was three hours ago and I have heard nothing back from her.

What do you think my responsibility is in this situation? The poor kid is going to be embarrassed running around in a pull up all afternoon because that is all I will provide. Am I being too inflexible? Should I remind them daily to bring extra clothing?

Thank you in advance for any advice/feedback. This forum looks like a great resource!
Michael 12:44 PM 03-14-2012
Welcome to the forum,
StrongMommy 12:48 PM 03-14-2012
Thank you Michael!
Greenplasticwateringcans 12:54 PM 03-14-2012
I just would not go outside and tell her at pick up why you could not. I'm totally baffled by parents who do not bring extra clothes.
I'd even go so far as to say that they can't come unless they are prepared and ready for the day which includes extra clothes.
StrongMommy 12:59 PM 03-14-2012
Thank you for your response Greenplasticwateringcans! I don't get it either, it happens repeatedly and you would think after one time, the parents would correct the situation for the sake of their child. I guess we will be having an indoor afternoon!
Greenplasticwateringcans 01:10 PM 03-14-2012
It is pretty strange that some parents just either don't think or don't care. There are a lot of providers in my area that have loads of extra clothes to send children
home in. I used to have tons too but they are all "gone" and I refuse to buy more.
Funny that this came up today as yestersay I saw a younger sibling of a DCG I had 4 years ago wearing my daughters sweat pants....That I had leant out all those years ago. Sheesh. They weren't for keeps!
Lilbutterflie 01:13 PM 03-14-2012
This is a pet peeve of mine. Not bringing extra clothes OR bringing them in attire that is inappropriate for play or the weather.

I have done what you have done in the past, and let them borrow some of my kids' clothes. They were never returned; I will not do that again. Since then, I've tried to collect pieces of clothing (from dollar store, my kids hand-me-downs, etc..) so that I have my own back up clothes for use here only. When their parents pick them up; I put them back in the inappropriate clothes (or if the clothes are soiled; I put them in just a pullup or underwear to go home in). I make it clear the extra clothing must be brought the next day. If they come the next day without it; they cannot drop their child off until they go back to their homes to bring it.

If you do not want to provide your own backup clothes; you are perfectly within your right to call them to bring clothes immediately. If clothes are not brought within an hour or so; let them know you will be calling emergency contacts to pickup their child because they cannot participate in daycare without clean clothes. You are not going overboard on this! Just one time of having to leave work to bring the clothes; I'll betcha they will remember from then on. :
JenNJ 04:51 PM 03-14-2012
1) Call for the parents to bring clothes IMMEDIATELY. If they don't respond, start calling emergency backups and say the child is not prepared for daycare and needs to go home. The backups will be irritated and hopefully that will guilt mom and dad into being more prepared.

2) Send them home in crazy ugly clothes clearly marked on the outside with NAME OF DAYCARE. My backup clothes are hideous colors, crazy patterns, and ugly designs. I use a Sharpie to write on the ENTIRE back of the shirts "PROPERTY OF NAME OF DAYCARE" or "NAME OF DAYCARE." For pants, I write it down the ENTIRE side of the leg. For backup underwear and socks, I charge parents. $3 for a pair of undies and $3 for a pair of socks. I don't want those returned.
Hunni Bee 05:14 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
2) Send them home in crazy ugly clothes clearly marked on the outside with NAME OF DAYCARE. My backup clothes are hideous colors, crazy patterns, and ugly designs. I use a Sharpie to write on the ENTIRE back of the shirts "PROPERTY OF NAME OF DAYCARE" or "NAME OF DAYCARE." For pants, I write it down the ENTIRE side of the leg. For backup underwear and socks, I charge parents. $3 for a pair of undies and $3 for a pair of socks. I don't want those returned.
That's what I do. About 30% of the time I get them back. The others just throw them in the trash.

If I don't write on them, I just expect to see them walking back in the next week on chests and butts.
StrongMommy 06:06 PM 03-14-2012
Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I think charging is great, but I am curious do you have them pay that day? I wonder if I'd ever see that money?

Love the ideas about crazy colors and labeling the clothing as well. I may have to update my policies with a notice that back-ups will be called if not dressed appropriately.

Oh, and the mom came at 4:00pm, left clothes at the door, then she went for a run and came back late to pick him up. Ugh!
Heidi 06:27 PM 03-14-2012
I bought some clothes at a resale shop for 50 cents or so. Most of my dcp's are pretty good at bringing things that are lent back.

If they didn't, I would put the clothes on the kids for play, but take them off and send them home in the pull-ups. BTW, I am pretty sure that most kids young enough to wear pullups would not be embarrassed (yet) by running around outside with little or no clothes on....
TBird 06:38 PM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
1) Call for the parents to bring clothes IMMEDIATELY. If they don't respond, start calling emergency backups and say the child is not prepared for daycare and needs to go home. The backups will be irritated and hopefully that will guilt mom and dad into being more prepared.

AMEN!!! I have lots of boys in my daycare so I only use my DAUGHTER'S OLD CLOTHES as backup. After putting these boys in enough PINK & SEQUINED BELTS to choke Barbie herself....believe me....I get more changes of clothing than I can possible store!!!
PitterPatter 06:45 PM 03-14-2012
I have the same problem and my clients have been here for over a year! When she finally did bring clothes it was the outfit they had on the day before! Literally balled up with the same sticky/crusty grape jelly stain on the shirt from the jelly toast I served at breakfast the previous morning! I sent them back and asked for CLEAN clothing.

I manage to get pieces from her here and there. Its a sensless battle that shouldn't even be a problem, I will never understand why! I provide clothing I bought to keep here in case and it has "Saras Daycare" painted on each piece neatly so if they do keep them then it's free advertising for me

Good luck!
daycare 06:45 PM 03-14-2012
Do you have cubby boxes for the kids??
Solandia 06:56 AM 03-15-2012
I have a decent stash of extra clothing here. The time and effort involved in micromanaging extra clothing & shoes from home is NOT worth it. Not for, at most, the space of an extra cubby of clothing & the extra $5-10 a year I invest into it. It all adds up to too much time...making sure the clothes/shoes/outerwear are clean, an decent size, season appropriate, and NOT pain in the rear type of clothing. I can only do so many buttons, snaps or double-tied shoelaces on babies & toddlers before I go off the deep end. Because the extra clothes mom brings are usually NOT the easy on/easy off clothing. They give daycare the pain in the butt snaps & buttons, the jacket that doesn't zip right.

My parents have (mostly) been pretty good about having their own extra clothing, but even my best parents do not like spending money on sweats or velcro shoes to just stay at daycare. The stress of arguments, power struggles or passive aggressiveness in regards to the extra clothes is gone when I keep my favorite stuff on hand.
daycare 07:49 AM 03-15-2012
Do you have cubby boxes for the kids??

If not, maybe you should look into making some.

I require all families to leave ALL supplies for their child to make it through the whole week. IF they mess their clothes up, the parents need to bring replacements.
MrsB 08:13 AM 03-15-2012
I require at least 2-3 sets of clothing, but I have the room for storage. Not all providers have that luxury though. I also launder soiled clothing for the most part. When they are down to one set I will text or give them a post it with supply requests. I have lots of extra clothes of mine that they can where here if they dont have their own, but they dont go home. It just takes different things for different families to get the hint. Whether it be their 4 year old boy wearing a princess shirt or a 3 year old girl going home in her underwear. It gets pretty old fast though!

I have thought about charging too. My hubby said last night. Open a daycare store

I think my letter would be something like this
"Daycare store is open" If required supplies are not brought after initial reminder, your child will need to go shopping to participate in daycare activities. Here is a supplies list and the associated cost. I will text/email you when your child has needed to go shopping. Cost will be added to your next bill. Any supplies purchased are now yours to keep" All items are used items, except diapers and underwear

Shirt- 2.00
Pants - 4.00
Boots - 12.00
Rain coat - 12.00
diaper - 1.00
underwear - 2.00
Tags:clothing - issues
Reply Up