Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tricked? Into Taking Special Needs Kiddo
littlefriends 08:11 AM 08-05-2018
Help! I haven’t been doing this for very long and so I’m not I made a mistake that I’m sure you’ll all shake your heads at but now I don’t know what to do. I had a single parent interview with me and say she was desperate to find care immediately because her family could no longer help out. At the interview she didn’t bring her kiddo with her (2years old) because she was meeting with me on her lunch break. Everything seemed fine during the interview but toward the end she mentioned that the kiddo has a “little trouble with walking “ and she’s hoping that being around others her age will help her get better at it. On her first day here parent arrives and it’s immediately clear to me that this child has severe physical and cognitive delays!!! I have given it my best chance but I’m just not equipped to care for this kiddo and to make matters worse parent is in major denial and says that child’s pediatrician isn’t concerned and so she doesn’t feel she needs to be either. I’d like to just be done with it all but I’m not sure what to say to parent or even how to bring up the subject of letting the kiddo go. The last time I tried I had done a lot of research and gathered names and numbers of all kinds of supportive people and places in our community for her to utilize and she just cried and said she’d look into it but then I never heard a word about it again from her! She did nothing. Also I worry because if I make this woman angry and she leaves on bad terms she’s good friends with another one of the families in my care. What if they leave too??
Tags:child with disabilities act, disability, interviews, special needs, terminate - bad fit, tom copeland
Up