Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Grow in Your Job?
BrynleeJean 07:01 AM 11-07-2018
i just heard this sort of quote yesterday like you should "work to learn don't work for money or job security" and i used to do that i did this because i loved it and i grew in it and it paid so that was nice.

I used to love childcare because i felt like i was constantly learning something new, and they were constantly something new, so i was growing and so were they.
Now I'm in a bit of an occupational rut

How does everyone else keep growing in their childcare careers being that we don't have promotions and its not idealistic to open a center next for every one and you max out with children quickly sometimes.
Flowerchild 07:23 AM 11-07-2018
I just became a floater after years of being infant teacher. Very happy to spend half a year as a full on teacher not an assistant. I felt like I work harder if not as hard as others. I spend the most time with the kids. But now I've been replaced and she gets sent home early a lot and hardly works and refuses to work with others. She only takes care of her baby. I heard my boss wants to stop paying her if she doesn't want to work but why can't she just put me back in my room them? So frustrating. I want to quit but I need a car. I miss feeling like I work hard for something and get rewarded
Gemma 07:40 AM 11-07-2018
I'm pretty sure I'm done "growing" within this job (Licensing regulations made sure of that), now I just spend my days doing the best I can to survive until closing
amberrose3dg 08:38 AM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I'm pretty sure I'm done "growing" within this job (Licensing regulations made sure of that), now I just spend my days doing the best I can to survive until closing
Same here. I go to only before and after in January. Then close for good sometime in the summer.(not sure on the exact date but prob end of june.)
Licensing regulations just passed a bill that we now have to have separately approved by state expulsion plan. Apparently, we cannot just let kids that are bad or their parents leave without a step plan. No thanks! Luckily it has been paused until proper training can be given.
MarinaVanessa 08:55 AM 11-07-2018
I take a lot of training in child development and early childhood education. I also volunteer in a lot of early child care programs. This means that I get afforded extra opportunities if I wanted them. I could take additional training to be a Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS) or Family Child Care Environment Rating System evaluator, or I can become a paid mentor through a local child care resource and referral agency, become a consultant etc. Or I could take what education I have and teach preschool, I could take a few additional classes and get a teaching credential to teach in a school etc.

I have options, I'm just comfortable right now and I'm here for my family so this is where I've decided to stay. We'll see when my kids are grown and moved out. I still have 15 years before my youngest one graduates high school so I have plenty of time.
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I take a lot of training in child development and early childhood education.
Same here. I also read books like Torey Haden's non-fiction to inspire and remind me why I started. http://www.torey-hayden.com/the_books.htm

I also set a laughter, hugs, and general silliness daily goal. Sometimes things can get too serious. I like to let them be kids as much as possible.
Josiegirl 10:56 AM 11-07-2018
What about seeking out some community projects to engage your kiddos with? I am in a serious rut now but a couple years ago I was very involved with the dcks, doing lots of local activities. My favorite was about a couple months before Christmas, I set a jar out and the parents(kids) could dump change into it. I also let them know we'd collect nonperishables and new wrapped toys for our local 'Santa Fund'. Then a couple weeks before the Santa Fund planned on delivering, all the dcfs and I made a trip to the fire department(a.k.a. Santa Fund), delivered all our collections. It was so much fun!! Bonus was they were able to climb inside the trucks and Santa was there to see in person.
I bet if you look around your local community there are tons of ways to reach out, volunteer, collect donations. Humane society? Even vets can use old blankets.
Another idea is to see if anyone would be interested in coming to your home and talk, such as a dental hygienist, firefighter/police, anyone at all. Someone could come in to teach a skill whether it's another parent or a professional.
I felt fulfilled doing some of these things and this time of year is definitely when things like activities at nursing homes, angel trees, etc. pop up.
I'm not sure if when you talk about an occupational rut and growth, if you just mean continued education or expanding your dc engagement and you, or what. But there are lots of ways to get out of a rut. (hmmm, maybe I need to reread this a few time and take my own advice)
When dc gets stale, try something new.

I also agree that new regs. didn't do much to inspire providers at all. With new regs., came more mandated trainings and we seem to have lost all our fun trainings that were so...well, fun. And inspiring! We'd go home with all kinds of fun ideas and now everything is humdrum, heard 100x over.
BrynleeJean 02:45 PM 11-07-2018
I seriously feel this more and more

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I take a lot of training in child development and early childhood education. I also volunteer in a lot of early child care programs.
This sounds like something id love to do. training can be pricey and i wouldn't be willing to spend a certain percentage of my wages on training because of the now tons of state mandated training that just gets more maticulous but i do love trainings and volunteering! I'm a little limited in the way that I have two small children of my own but if it brings joy back into my work and I'm not just working for money anymore but to use and practice skills I've acquired i think the time training and volunteering would be well spent!

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Same here. I also read books like Torey Haden's non-fiction to inspire and remind me why I started. http://www.torey-hayden.com/the_books.htm

I also set a laughter, hugs, and general silliness daily goal. Sometimes things can get too serious. I like to let them be kids as much as possible.
Ive never heard of these books but this sounds like something i can dig into as well! thank you!

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What about seeking out some community projects to engage your kiddos with?
Ive heard of people doing this and never asked before, maybe kind of nervous that Id have to be the host of a grown up for a certain period of time while managing the mixed age group i have and looking professional to the grown up? lol but this is another good idea thank you.
Flowerchild 05:35 AM 11-08-2018
When are you closing
Cat Herder 07:14 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
Ive never heard of these books but this sounds like something i can dig into as well! thank you!.

I recommend starting with One Child. You won't be the same after it.

http://www.torey-hayden.com/one_child.htm
Ariana 09:39 AM 11-08-2018
I think making weekly goals for myself is a good way to grow as a person. It much more intrinsically motivated though since it is not really furthering my career. I am also trying to have the best space possible for my daycare. I just put on a fresh coat of soft yellow paint and am rearranging everything to start fresh next week. There are soooo many articles and pinterest ideas to keep you engaged as a provider and to challenge you to get new ideas.
Tags:continuing ed
Reply Up