Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Creative Minds Needed...What To Do With This Space?
SunflowerMama 08:51 AM 12-02-2011
So another thread got me thinking about using some space under my stairs for the daycare.

My only daycare room is pretty small so any extra space they have to spread out would be amazing.

I have a closet in the daycare room that leads to storage under our stairs. It's a pretty big space and we could definitely clean it out to do what we need to do.

In the closet right now is a large chest of drawers so we could remove that and have the closet space (carpeted) and the storage area (concrete).

What would you do with this space? Any ideas would be super appreciated.

SilverSabre25 08:54 AM 12-02-2011
What a nice area! If you wanted to, I think it could make a nifty playhouse/dramatic play space. You'll need to find somewhere else for all the stuff that's in there though.
Crystal 09:04 AM 12-02-2011
I would TOTALLY turn that into a reading/cozy nook.
Country Kids 09:05 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
This!
SunflowerMama 09:05 AM 12-02-2011
We have plenty of room in our attic for the stuff in there but my concern is the cots and where I would store those if we turned it into a playhouse.

Maybe sell the cots and go to nap mats that would take up less space.

Would you carpet the concrete or just get lots of rugs/floor pillows?
SunflowerMama 09:07 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
So maybe a bookcase on the back wall? The walls are a weird material so I don't think I could incorporate shutter bookcases in there similar to my main daycare room.
Country Kids 09:07 AM 12-02-2011
Definetly carpet. Then beanbags, fluffy pillows, those pillows with the arms and soft lighting. Possibly a hot chocolate machine-
Abigail 10:51 AM 12-02-2011
wow that is a really tall crawl-space! Under my stairs you walk about 3 feet in and you better get down on your knees fast! I've seen in other homes where I babysat about 15 years ago they turned it into the kid's playhouse. Of course it was a home, not a daycare. They didn't turn their livingroom in a playroom like most homes are, so the kids had their own space. It was carpeted and the walls were done and they hung up pictures on the wall but mainly had smaller toys under there. Like I said, in a bi-level home like mine you have to be crawling.

How big is your space? You could always keep the cots stacked at an angle on the left side of the closet up front and put up a partial wall for separating the space or simply put in a hook on each side of where the cots are stacked leaning against the wall and put a rope around them to keep them from falling over. I wish their was a way to hang up the Angels cots, I have some of them too and lay them again the wall like that, but in a standard bedroom sized closet. I would turn this area into the "Quiet Zone" and put down soft flooring, pillows, soft stuffed animals and books.
SunflowerMama 10:58 AM 12-02-2011
I just contacted someone off CL and he said he could carpet the area for $150 (it's 89 inches by 36 inches). I think with stuff organized or moved out and carpet down it'll be easier to visualize.
laundrymom 11:25 AM 12-02-2011
Would stack the cots and have someone put a rolling wooden cabinet on them. Like a radiator cover. Chalkboard paint it and push against wall. Then make that a book nook. I would do a remnant, bookshelves and floor pillows. Ask your friends and fan for donations of big fluffy stuffed animals. The kind that are cute and thoughtful but quickly get in the way. I would LOVE that space!!
caring4kidsinSD 11:37 AM 12-02-2011
I would use it for smaller toys that the little ones can't play with(and I don't want out all the time). Like legos, barbies, polly pockets, lincoln logs - Put them in there and let the older kids play with them in there so the little ones don't put it in their mouths. I would love a space like that - I have those toys in the laundry room and the kids take them to the hallway to play with them after I put a baby gate up.
Tags:decor, playroom ideas, playroom layout
Reply Up