Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Major Advice About My Assistant
amberrose3dg 09:04 AM 02-01-2018
I want some feedback as my assistant thinks I'm being unfair and not understanding with her recent call offs. There have been a lot and I feel that in this job being reliable is number one. You do not call off each time you feel a little off.

She was hired in the middle of October and was excellent with showing up on time and doing a good job until January.
I was closed January 1st and second. She only had to work 3 days the first week of January.
Second week she called off Wednesday the 10th and the 11th. No real illness diagnosed and did come with a drs note.
The following week she called off Wednesday for snow on the 17th. ( it wasn't bad i was still open) Friday the 19th she claimed to have a stomach bug.
I ended up with pneumonia and was hospitalized the following week and was closed for 3 days. I reopened Thursday and Friday she worked and only had two children in care those days as parents wanted to give me a break.
Monday she comes in to work and works a normal full day. Tuesday calls off at 710am when i had to be at my sons school that day and she was scheduled to be here at 745. Her stomach bothered her. Then says she also needs Wednesday to rest and her dr thinks she isnt getting enough time to rest. Promised to be here today and texts me 10 minutes before her shift shes being tested for the flu. No surprise that and strep throat come back negative.
So in all this time off nothing really wrong. No flu, strep, etc...
Ladies please tell me being extremely upset and wanting to let her go is the right response. I am an understanding person but this is now 6 sick days and 1 snow since January 10th . Basically in 3 weeks she has missed 7 days when there was 17 work days. This is even counting the day off for martin luther king and my sick days which she did not work so if you are technical she has only worked 13 and called off 7.
She is going into a rant how she is really sick and not sure what is going on and at her last job they only give you 1 point if you missed more than 3 of 4 days in a row.
I do not know any job that would of let me call off this much in 3 weeks and still have a job. The drs notes are a moot point because she didnt have an illness just her crazy self going and getting one.( I am starting to think it is a mental issue)
I told her she could come back on Monday but if she calls off at all for anything other than a seriously illness I will terminate immediately. I do not even want to give her that but I know she will fail and I will fire her.
Ariana 09:10 AM 02-01-2018
I would terminate immediately. Even if she is really this sick this much it is not your problem to support her in her recovery. It is your job to support yourself and your business. She needs a different employer.
daycarediva 09:11 AM 02-01-2018
Nope. No way. She isn't reliable enough to work in this field.
amberrose3dg 09:15 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Nope. No way. She isn't reliable enough to work in this field.
Thanks that is what I thought. I point blank told her my parents would all leave if i closed as much as she has called off. I have ratios to meet. I had to send two infants home today because I had no help. My oldest can sub from time to time but has to work a 12 hour shift. I can guarantee they will be looking for another daycare. I have never taken that much time off sick in a year let alone a 3 week period. She has not worked a week straight since Christmas.
daycarediva 09:19 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Thanks that is what I thought. I point blank told her my parents would all leave if i closed as much as she has called off. I have ratios to meet. I had to send two infants home today because I had no help. My oldest can sub from time to time but has to work a 12 hour shift. I can guarantee they will be looking for another daycare. I have never taken that much time off sick in a year let alone a 3 week period. She has not worked a week straight since Christmas.
I would explain the situation to your daycare parents, and if you ARE replacing her, tell them your plan. If you aren't, I would be giving her AND my families notice at the same time.

That stinks!!!
mamamanda 09:22 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would explain the situation to your daycare parents, and if you ARE replacing her, tell them your plan. If you aren't, I would be giving her AND my families notice at the same time.

That stinks!!!
Yes!!! I'd explain to my families & possibly consider a payment adjustment for the week in an effort to smooth things over. Let them know your plans so you don't lose them.
mamamanda 09:13 AM 02-01-2018
If it were me I would have to let her go. Reliability is essential in this business. Does her absence throw off your ratios? That's just one of many concerns I'd have.

Do you think she could possibly be pregnant & afraid to tell you? That's the only time I have ever called off frequently (had serious health concerns) & that was my first thought with her stomach problems. Not that it would change the outcome, but at least it would make more sense if something is really going on.

I think you're justified in letting her go.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 02-02-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I want some feedback as my assistant thinks I'm being unfair and not understanding
I stopped reading after the above statement.

YOU are the boss.
YOU make the rules
YOU enforce them

SHE agreed to work when scheduled
SHE agreed to be reliable
SHE agreed to be the employee

SHE has a right to feel you are being unfair.

YOU have the right to disagree.

yet.....

YOU are the boss.
YOU make the rules
YOU enforce them

I think you need to "call in" to her and simply tell her she no longer has a job.

If she wants "understanding" from you, tell her you are sorry it's short notice.
Tags:assistant
Reply Up