Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In-Home Daycare Name
MissMoe 05:48 AM 03-24-2016
I am in the process of wrapping up the requirements to get licensed as an in-home childcare provider (6 kids or less).
I want to have a name for my daycare and have picked it out but is there anything that I need to do to use this name?
Do I need to register it with my local county? Do I need to incorporate, do a d/b/a or become and LLC?
I don't want to start using the name I picked out only to have to stop using it because I didn't follow the necessary steps...
MunchkinWrangler 07:48 AM 03-24-2016
You can have it added to your license. Get business cards made up and maybe a cute sign. Put your business name on all of your contracts and policies, maybe come up with a logo. I really don't think you have to have an LLC unless you'll benefit from it, you won't get into any trouble using a name for your business for anything. I'm not sure the steps you have to take if you are going to get a business account with the name, you'd have to check the bank's specifications.
MissMoe 07:52 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
You can have it added to your license. Get business cards made up and maybe a cute sign. Put your business name on all of your contracts and policies, maybe come up with a logo. I really don't think you have to have an LLC unless you'll benefit from it, you won't get into any trouble using a name for your business for anything. I'm not sure the steps you have to take if you are going to get a business account with the name, you'd have to check the bank's specifications.
Thank you for the reply! I am planning on having the families make checks payable directly to me but I had a logo designed by my sister and will be using the logo/name theme throughout my daycare. I don't even know which local office I would contact to ask about it, haha. Maybe I'll just ask at my orientation...
Unregistered 09:54 AM 03-24-2016
Here, you have to register the d.b.a. with the state and iirc the bank will tell you that before you can open an account with a d.b.a. name. Possibly check with your bank to see if that's the case and if they can direct you to the correct dept. Otherwise call your state div of business licenses and see if they can point you to the correct dept.
TomCopeland 09:54 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by MissMoe:
I am in the process of wrapping up the requirements to get licensed as an in-home childcare provider (6 kids or less).
I want to have a name for my daycare and have picked it out but is there anything that I need to do to use this name?
Do I need to register it with my local county? Do I need to incorporate, do a d/b/a or become and LLC?
I don't want to start using the name I picked out only to have to stop using it because I didn't follow the necessary steps...
Before deciding on a business name, register it with your state secretary of state's office. You will need to first do a search to see if anyone else has already chosen that name. You do not need to be incorporated or be an LLC to register a business name.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:20 AM 03-24-2016
One thing I would also do is check to see if the website name is also available. You wouldn't want to be sending traffic to another business.
Michael 11:49 AM 03-24-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
One thing I would also do is check to see if the website name is also available. You wouldn't want to be sending traffic to another business.
Yes, this ^
You beat me to it.
284878 06:30 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Before deciding on a business name, register it with your state secretary of state's office. You will need to first do a search to see if anyone else has already chosen that name. You do not need to be incorporated or be an LLC to register a business name.
I called the county clerks office and they let me know if the name I choose (and spelling) was already taken. You can find the app online and instructions for a dba. You can print it and fill it out but don't sign until you are with a notary. It is a $10 for the dba and a renewal every 3 or was it 5 years if you want to keep the name. Then you can add it to your registration, if you want.
However, you can use a name on your paperwork (but not banking, regerstration or accept checks) and not do all this. But then you risk someone else using the name.
ILoveTeaching 05:22 PM 03-29-2016
Does anyone know off. Hand what it costs to get a daycare name in PA?
Serpentine 11:01 AM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by ILoveTeaching:
Or MD?

This is all very confusing to me now.

I have a name I am already using but I guess it's "unofficial". Do I need to register a D.B.A before making it a sole proprietorship? My dad made it sound SO easy, but when I went to the small business government page I was like
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by Serpentine:
Or MD?

This is all very confusing to me now.

I have a name I am already using but I guess it's "unofficial". Do I need to register a D.B.A before making it a sole proprietorship? My dad made it sound SO easy, but when I went to the small business government page I was like
http://www.dat.state.md.us/businesse...s/default.aspx

Originally Posted by ILoveTeaching:
https://www.corporations.pa.gov/
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 03-30-2016
Here is the link to every state

https://www.sba.gov/starting-busines...state-agencies
Serpentine 11:34 AM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the link to every state

https://www.sba.gov/starting-busines...state-agencies
I found that and just finished. It was SUPER easy! LOL
Maryland has the "business express" where you select what applies. I registered my name and applied for a tax ID #
Tags:business name, domain names
Reply Up