Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!
Unregistered 08:00 PM 04-04-2013
Im new here but have a problem... I work for a small day care and have a 11 month old who has bonded with me. She screams if she see's me or hears my voice, as soon as I pick her up she's quiet. Today was horrible, Screaming all day, I have other babies & toddlers that I care for, I can't hold her all day... What can I do to help her?
Michael 11:37 AM 04-05-2013
Consider registering. I placed some TAGS at the bottom left of this thread that may help.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ying+-+all+day
bunnyslippers 01:43 PM 04-05-2013
I would probably say you need to go on a little time out from one another. For a little while, don't hold her. Let the other providers handle her, until she can bond a little with someone else. It is hard to do, and it will be hard on the little one...but you can't always hold her and she is in a small center, so she will have to be around other teachers sometimes. Good Luck!
MarinaVanessa 02:36 PM 04-05-2013
I'm not necessarily sure or convinced that she has "bonded" with you ... I'm more inclined to think that perhaps she really wants to be picked by you (or anyone when she's at home) period. If she wasn't like this before and is now then I'm inclined to think that somehow she has figured out a way that works for her that gets you to pick her up. She probably just wants the 1 on 1 interaction.

I would prolong how fast you pick her up and add a minute to each time that you respond. Don't pick her up unless absolutely necessary and instead just go to her and soothingly talk to her and comfort her by rubbing her back, hugging her (without picking her up) etc. When she cries acknowledge her verbally but wait a minute before going to her. When she stops you can start to walk away. The enxt time she cries wait 2 minutes then 3 minutes etc. Don't pick her up when she's crying otherwise you are reinforcing her behavior. When and if she calms down then pick her up so she makes the connection. Max out her cry time to about 15 minutes, never longer (I don't CIO).
Tags:crying - all day, screaming
Reply Up