Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Diaper Changing Area And Practices?
Josiegirl 02:19 AM 01-26-2017
I just use a changing pad on the couch and store the diapers/wipes/clorox wipes above the cubbies. Nothing fancy and it saves space.
Do you all have a set-up near a sink? There's no way I can do that unless I move everything around.
And where can I get a diaper disposal with a foot lever and how do you make it inaccessible to kids??

I've always thrown diapers away in my regular trash, and triple bag the poopy ones. That will no longer be acceptable.

I just can't quite figure out how to work this out.
Cat Herder 05:02 AM 01-26-2017
I just use a changing pad on the couch and store the diapers/wipes/clorox wipes above the cubbies.

You can use the changing pad on floor behind a safety gate or in the bathroom. Each child can have their own pad, stored without touching, or follow the 2+ min disinfection plan after each use. Being on couch is a "fall risk" and not a "non-porous surface". Also clorox wipes would not be approved, here. Must be bleach solution mist, left for two minutes, wiped and air dried.

Do you all have a set-up near a sink? There's no way I can do that unless I move everything around.

Yes. I had to set up a changing area inaccessible to kids without my opening a gate.

And where can I get a diaper disposal with a foot lever and how do you make it inaccessible to kids??

Separate cans, one behind safety gate for soiled diapers, one in playroom for tissues and disposable hand towels.
Cat Herder 05:07 AM 01-26-2017
Perfect set of two cans https://smile.amazon.com/Malmo-FE430...ee+garbage+can
Jupadia 05:13 AM 01-26-2017
I have a diaper genie for the diapers I was given two at my shower with my first so one became daycares. I'm lucky I get to have my change station in the washroom. I have a cubby shelf with doors on it. (From Ikea) with a change pad on the top. I don't have to stay in the room with all kids but d9 seperated baby's via gates and bring any trouble makers with me.
DaveA 05:27 AM 01-26-2017
I use a changing pad on the bathroom floor. Supplies are in a wall cabinet in the bathroom.
Sumshine 07:19 AM 01-26-2017
I have a small 2 tiered table I like it because it also serves as my storage for the diapers, bibs, & burp clothes (I keep all in lidded bins). I have one pad and I sanitize between every kid. I use bleach/water spray and wipe it. I keep that spray and the paper towels I use along with wipes, butt paste, & gloves in a container with snaps to secure it. I have a ledge all around my walls so I place that container on the ledge so it's out of reach for the kids. I use a small trash can with a step button that is right next to the table. It's inaccessible to the kids according to my licensor. The entire set up is in a corner away from where kids would typically play. There's nothing fun for them over there so they stay away from it. I have thought about putting it right outside my bathroom but then it would be in an area where kids generally play a lot so I figured it would be more of a temptation there vs away in a corner.
Leigh 07:21 AM 01-26-2017
I use waxed paper sheets on the floor. This eliminates the need to sanitize pads and saves on time and storing changing pads. I buy the precut sheets at CostCo. As far as a foot lever disposal system, I'm not aware of any. I bag the poopies and put them in a trash can with a foot lever and locking lid. I used to use a Munchkin diaper genie type can, and I liked it, but find that the trash can is just easier.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 01-26-2017
I use a foldable, wipeable changing mat on the floor outside my bathroom door. I do NOT want to lift any of these kids up onto a changing table so the floor is safer and easier.

I wipe in between uses. If I am changing a larger group at one time, I grab two mats so that I can use one while the other is air drying (which they do in seconds)

I bag the poopy diapers in grocery store bags and toss them in my trash can which is outside of the main area of the daycare so it is inaccessible to the kids.

My diapering supplies are kept in a cupboard in my bathroom and are not accessible to the kids either as they would have to climb to reach them but kids have supervision in the bathroom.
Crazy8 11:00 AM 01-26-2017
I use a changing table in my playroom. Diapers are on wall right above it. I prefer a changing table to trying to get down to the floor and I find it keeps the kid in place. I bag them and throw them in my household garbage can (under sink in kitchen) and wash up in the sink there.
Blackcat31 11:17 AM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I use a changing table in my playroom. Diapers are on wall right above it. I prefer a changing table to trying to get down to the floor and I find it keeps the kid in place. I bag them and throw them in my household garbage can (under sink in kitchen) and wash up in the sink there.
We are required to wash the kids' hands after each diaper change as well.
Play Care 11:21 AM 01-26-2017
We can't wash our hands in the same sink as we prep and wash food.

I use a changing table with littles, and a floor pad in the bathroom as they get older. I will even have some of the kids sit on the potty while they "wait" for me to get ready.
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 01-27-2017
My bathroom is small and it's in between 2 small bedrooms(one of them being mine). Very poorly designed home but no money to change it at all. Since my dds moved out, I use the other bedroom for puzzles, games, cot storage, my oversupply of stuff. It's right at the bathroom door, so I'm thinking I'm going to switch that around so I can change my older tots on the floor there, and still change the 4 mo in the crib. The couch was just so much easier than the floor. And I always used the changing pad on the couch.
I also have a high shelf in there I can use for keeping things inaccessible.

CH, thank you for the amazon link, that's what I was looking for! (It's nice when someone can point to a specific one instead of scouring pages and pages and not having a clue)

I like the idea of wax paper, kind of like what they'd use in a drs. office?

I really have no clue how to keep the trash can inaccessible though because really no place to put up a gate and block it off. I'll have to switch it up this weekend and see what I can come up with.
Thanks everybody!!!
284878 05:44 PM 01-27-2017
My set up is across the hall from the bathroom. I have this diaper pail, I had to search for one that did not require refill packs. https://www.diapers.com/p/safety-1st...per-pail-26914
I have a diaper holder as shown in picture (my changing table looks similar) it is hung on the wall above table, I have 3 in diapers so it works for me. My Dh cut a hole in the shelf to put the pail out of sight and I hung a curtain around the table to hide everything. The remaining shelf holds extra diapers and wipes for each child.
Attached: Storage-Bag-Baby-Folding-Wall-Bed-Hanging-Shelf-Diaper-Nappy-Bottle-Toy-Organization-Nursery-Clo.jpg (92.0 KB) 
Meeko 05:47 PM 01-29-2017
My changing area has a 4 foot table (now has a 4 foot kitchen counter top over the top of it which make it very sturdy for even the biggest of kids) and shelves (actually CD shelves because they are narrow)
Attached: Changing area-1.JPG (615.6 KB) 
Tags:diaper changing station
Reply Up