Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Shorted Me $
284878 08:45 AM 02-05-2015
BackstoryCM as to adjust her drop off time because she was getting to work late due to traffic and unavoidable construction. She had just got wrote you for being late and for the time that the DCK and her were sick. We adjusted the time and the payment.

I was sick last Friday, I texted DCM and told her. She did not respond so I tried calling and texting again. DH stayed home from work to watch DD and said If she showed he would care for the kids. Well she did show but a little late, drop the kids and left. When she got to work she charged her phone and saw the message. Contacted me immediate and sent DCD to get the kids. We asked her to get them by noon.He picked up at 11:30. I was going to credit her the day if they did not come at all but they did, and she offered to send DCD to pick up. We would of asked if she hadn't offer though. (My DH does not get paid when he calls in)

This week DCG has a case of diarrhea and DCM came to get the DCK even though she was on probation at work. She feels that she will be let go because of this.(She is going to talk to her boss today) DCD kept DCG home yesterday and Today, with DCB (5 months) still coming. They just happened to have a Doc appt Friday for DCB, so they will be taking both in. The plan was that they would come late on Friday. DCM mentioned this morning that they may not come at all on Friday.

She then asked if the whole amount was due since DCK went home on Tuesday. I said yes, but when I received her quick pay email. It was a day short for one kid.

ugh. When the DCG was sick before she did not hesitate and wrote the check for the whole week even with the dck only being here a day and half that week.

So I do not want to let this slide. I know I need to do something about it. I have not excepted the Quick pay payment, yet, but I need to do that soon to get the transfer to my account soon.

What should I do? What should I say?

Dear XX I think that there was a misunderstanding this morning. Although, I do understand your predicament, full payment is still due. (then I am stuck, on what to say)
help!!!! Do I let it go due to Me being sick Friday or make her pay.
finsup 09:36 AM 02-05-2015
I think what you have sounds fine, no need to add more. Just an "oh! Looks like there was a misunderstandin, you only paid xx but you owe xx. Then say how she can pay the rest (new payment, compensate with cash etc). If she asks why just say like I said on xx full payment is still due regardless of sickness. I personally would hold her to that, otherwise she'll expect discounts every time it happens. I have learned this the hard way lol.
Annalee 10:37 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
I think what you have sounds fine, no need to add more. Just an "oh! Looks like there was a misunderstandin, you only paid xx but you owe xx. Then say how she can pay the rest (new payment, compensate with cash etc). If she asks why just say like I said on xx full payment is still due regardless of sickness. I personally would hold her to that, otherwise she'll expect discounts every time it happens. I have learned this the hard way lol.
This is a business and a client/provider relationship. The environment provided in FCC is to reflect family which sometimes carries over to the clients we have, but, in the end, we are a business and need to treat it as such....and I am trying to convince myself of this as I type it I am as guilty as anyone at getting too close to parents and/or letting little things slide which usually turns into a big thing.
284878 10:42 AM 02-05-2015
This what I need to hear right now. That I am doing the right thing.
I sent the text a few minutes ago and waiting, I do not like the wait.
Then I went to Quick pay to except the $$ she sent and I wonder If I should of just declined, the amount and requested a new amount???
finsup 11:11 AM 02-05-2015
Its a really hard part to this business! As for the accepting payment, what about giving her a deadline to pay you what she owes? This afternoon? Tomorrow morning at drop off? If she doesn't have the extra by then, she can head back home with the kids
melilley 11:20 AM 02-05-2015
Do you have a handbook and a contract?
I would refer them to the handbook if you do have one and let them know that they are short.

I hope you give yourself sick days and have a pay for a spot policy! My families pay whether they are here or not, on Friday's before the next week, that way I'm paid in advance. I also get 5 paid personal days.

You're doing the right thing!
284878 11:46 AM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
Do you have a handbook and a contract?
I would refer them to the handbook if you do have one and let them know that they are short.

I hope you give yourself sick days and have a pay for a spot policy! My families pay whether they are here or not, on Friday's before the next week, that way I'm paid in advance. I also get 5 paid personal days.

You're doing the right thing!
Yes I do have a contract. Mine says that if I close due to my illness that I do not charge. I closed last Friday, due to being sick but she came anyway and DH took care of the kids til DCD arrived. (see op) Anyways, The contract does not explain what happens when that happens.(guess I need to clarify that going forward) So come to find out that is what she deducted for. So She just questioned it and I told her I forgot, my oops and to ignore my request.

I have her pay on Thursday for current week. I was to nervous to have my first family prepay that I chicken out. I had talked to other day cares in the area and NONE did prepayment.
I have changed my contract going forward and added a deposit.

Even with all my contract research I did before start, I still ended up changing it later. It is like 6 or 7 pages long with another page of permission slips.
nannyde 01:11 PM 02-05-2015
She paid a half day for both the day they came a half day?
284878 01:21 PM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
She paid a half day for both the day they came a half day?
Yes for last Friday, when I was sick and my DH covered for me, til DCD picked up. Handbook says no payment for days I close when I am sick. So she paid half of the daily rate. Which was correct according to the handbook, but I just was not thinking about when she sent the payment.
melilley 11:13 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
Yes I do have a contract. Mine says that if I close due to my illness that I do not charge. I closed last Friday, due to being sick but she came anyway and DH took care of the kids til DCD arrived. (see op) Anyways, The contract does not explain what happens when that happens.(guess I need to clarify that going forward) So come to find out that is what she deducted for. So She just questioned it and I told her I forgot, my oops and to ignore my request.

I have her pay on Thursday for current week. I was to nervous to have my first family prepay that I chicken out. I had talked to other day cares in the area and NONE did prepayment.
I have changed my contract going forward and added a deposit.

Even with all my contract research I did before start, I still ended up changing it later. It is like 6 or 7 pages long with another page of permission slips.

I am constantly adding/changing things in my handbook! Mine is about 16 pages long and I have a separate contract. I also have a few permission slips. I feel my handbook will never be complete!
284878 12:34 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
I am constantly adding/changing things in my handbook! Mine is about 16 pages long and I have a separate contract. I also have a few permission slips. I feel my handbook will never be complete!
16 pages? wow - is that the norm? Would you be willing to share that via email?

I talked to 2 other DC in my area before I opened and they both had 1 pagers. Later talked to one of them again and they were in the process of creating a longer on.
melilley 01:20 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
16 pages? wow - is that the norm? Would you be willing to share that via email?

I talked to 2 other DC in my area before I opened and they both had 1 pagers. Later talked to one of them again and they were in the process of creating a longer on.
I'm not sure if it's the norm or not.
Sure! If you want to pm me your email address, I could send it to you. It's in 2 or 3 different sections.
Reply Up