Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Has A Rash On Arm All Week
284878 11:54 AM 07-27-2017
Should I be concerned?
DCM pointed it out on Monday. She said she had not been able to figure out what it was from since nothing had changed and no new foods were introduced. Then he went home early with a low-grade fever 99.5 and not feeling well. The next day he was eating better and played more.
Yesterday, he napped more but he was the only one, so it was quite in the house.
Today, he has no fever, the rash is still there but he is back to not wanting to eat. He wants to be held again to day. Normal naps.
Dcm keeps blaming, you guessed it ....... TEETHING
Attached: 2017-07-27 13.59.33.jpg (103.5 KB) 
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
Should I be concerned?
DCM pointed it out on Monday. She said she had not been able to figure out what it was from since nothing had changed and no new foods were introduced. Then he went home early with a low-grade fever 99.5 and not feeling well. The next day he was eating better and played more.
Yesterday, he napped more but he was the only one, so it was quite in the house.
Today, he has no fever, the rash is still there but he is back to not wanting to eat. He wants to be held again to day. Normal naps.
Dcm keeps blaming, you guessed it ....... TEETHING
I'd exclude.

I highly doubt it's teething.

It looks like Hand, Foot and Mouth or maybe Molluscum...both of which are viral and both are highly contagious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moll...k1._MWFqEn4ybc

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hand...k1.iXueuRxB5dw
284878 01:25 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd exclude.

I highly doubt it's teething.

It looks like Hand, Foot and Mouth or maybe Molluscum...both of which are viral and both are highly contagious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moll...k1._MWFqEn4ybc

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hand...k1.iXueuRxB5dw
Thank you, I was trying to do some research and Molluscum is what I was coming up with. The rash did not seem to match HFM descriptions and has symptom seem to match Molluscum. DCM should be here with in the hour.

This is what MI communicable diseases handbook says about Mononucleosis:

Mode of Spread - Person-to-person via saliva

Symptoms - Fever, sore throat, fatigue, swollen lymph
nodes, enlarged spleen

Incubation period -30-50 days

Contagious - Prolonged, possibly longer than 1 year

Contracts - Do not share personal items

Exclude - Exclude until able to tolerate activity; exclude from contact sports until recovered
284878 01:50 PM 07-27-2017
That was awkward. DCD picked up and he is a nurse. Hopefully, they get him checked out.
284878 01:41 PM 07-28-2017
DCM texted, dr says it is not Molluscum but that it is possibly dry skin or heat rash. DCM is going to put DCB in long sleeve onesies.

It just does not make sense that one would cover heat rash or dry skin up. It is sometimes 90 degrees and up when we go outside.
Snowmom 02:21 PM 07-28-2017
DCM texted, dr says it is not Molluscum but that it is possibly dry skin or heat rash. DCM is going to put DCB in long sleeve onesies.

It just does not make sense that one would cover heat rash or dry skin up. It is sometimes 90 degrees and up when we go outside.
They want to keep it covered, because they likely know what it is and it's contagious.

It looks like Molluscum to me.
It could be a form of eczema (like dyshidrotic eczema). But, those blisters are usually clustered together.
Blackcat31 03:03 PM 07-28-2017

Did she provide an actual Dr's diagnosis?

If not, I bet she's not telling you the truth.
At least not the whole truth.

It does not look like heat rash and I have a child here that has eczema like Snowmom mentioned and yes, the bumps/blisters are clustered and not so Molluscum looking.
CalCare 03:15 PM 07-28-2017
Thank you, I was trying to do some research and Molluscum is what I was coming up with. The rash did not seem to match HFM descriptions and has symptom seem to match Molluscum. DCM should be here with in the hour.

This is what MI communicable diseases handbook says about Mononucleosis:

Mode of Spread - Person-to-person via saliva

Symptoms - Fever, sore throat, fatigue, swollen lymph
nodes, enlarged spleen

Incubation period -30-50 days

Contagious - Prolonged, possibly longer than 1 year

Contracts - Do not share personal items

Exclude - Exclude until able to tolerate activity; exclude from contact sports until recovered
Sorry, but idk if you realized that was maybe a typo, or you actually looked up info for mononucleosis instead of molluscum...? Just a heads up!
284878 03:29 PM 07-28-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Sorry, but idk if you realized that was maybe a typo, or you actually looked up info for mononucleosis instead of molluscum...? Just a heads up!
Typo, my computer kept saying molluscum was an incorrect spelling.
284878 03:34 PM 07-28-2017

It does not look like heat rash and I have a child here that has eczema like Snowmom mentioned and yes, the bumps/blisters are clustered and not so Molluscum looking.
No just a text, since I am closed today.
It does not look like heat rash to me either. I am not sure what to do.
Leigh 03:46 PM 07-28-2017

I agree. I'd ask for a written diagnosis from the doctor (NOT a return to daycare release) and written care instructions. I can tell you for sure, that's NOT from dry skin, & I TRULY doubt it's from heat (I've never seen a heat rash like that!).
284878 08:35 PM 07-28-2017
Doing some searching, I just found this type of heat rash.
Attached: Screenshot_2017-07-28-23-33-19.png (169.2 KB) 
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 07-29-2017
Doing some searching, I just found this type of heat rash.
Googling images though appear much different
http://www.medicinenet.com/image-col...re/picture.htm
sahm1225 07:16 AM 07-29-2017

I would definitely request a doctors note. If a child has heat rash, why would you put him in a long sleeve onesie???!! That just doesn't make sense at all. I have kiddos with very sensitive skin and their heat rash does look like regular bumps. They don't itch and they act normal, not like their fighting a cold.
daycarediva 03:14 AM 07-31-2017
I would require the dr's note.

NO WAY would you COVER heat rash, of any kind.
284878 09:40 PM 08-01-2017
Here is an updated picture from Monday. DCM is out of town. Dcd and gma are doing p/u and d/o, they are both nurses. Neither of them have put him in long sleeves.
Anyways, I not if I mentioned this but I contacted department of health near me and she said the bumps must have pits in the middle to be molluscum. I don't see any pits, even with a magnifying glass.
Attached: IMG_20170731_075049104.jpg (1.66 MB) 
Unregistered 11:07 PM 08-01-2017
Personally it does not matter what my parents occupations are, I would still require a doctor's note stating a diagnosis to know exactly what it is and to put in the child's file to cover myself. I have had two different parents (two different children, and happened at different times) who are in the medical field, each of their child at one point fell at home and came to daycare saying it was nothing major but the child might complain about a little pain. For each child this continued for a couple of days where each day the child would move funny or complain about pain. I finally said they needed a doctor's note saying their was no injury because I suspected there was an injury. It took a few trips to the doctors and a couple of X-rays later there were hairline fractures, both children needed casts.
Snowmom 06:37 AM 08-02-2017
Some of those in the picture you last posted DO look to have papules.
Is it in ONE specific spot? This looks to be the same arm area as the first picture. A heat rash would not last this long.
This is something long term.

I still think it's Molluscum.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/910570-overview
284878 11:26 AM 08-02-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Some of those in the picture you last posted DO look to have papules.
Is it in ONE specific spot? This looks to be the same arm area as the first picture. A heat rash would not last this long.
This is something long term.

I still think it's Molluscum.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/910570-overview
Yes it is only on one arm and hand. He is not here today because of an emergency in my family.
Most of my communication is done with DCM, I rarely see dcd. I know that not a good excuse it's just harder for me to speak up with some one I don't normally deal with. Then to question what there doctor says, knowing that they have more medical education then I ever plan to. I meant to take another photo yesterday but I was not able too. I plan on monitoring it via daily photos if it gets worse to show them the photos, as my proof.
Unregistered 03:14 PM 08-02-2017
Yes it is only on one arm and hand. He is not here today because of an emergency in my family.
Most of my communication is done with DCM, I rarely see dcd. I know that not a good excuse it's just harder for me to speak up with some one I don't normally deal with. Then to question what there doctor says, knowing that they have more medical education then I ever plan to. I meant to take another photo yesterday but I was not able too. I plan on monitoring it via daily photos if it gets worse to show them the photos, as my proof.
It's not questioning what their doctor said, it is requiring it in writing from the doctor. It does not matter who has more medical education, it is about it being your business policy and protecting yourself and the other children in your care if it is contagious.
Tags:hand foot and mouth, molluscum, rash
Reply Up