Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summertime And The Livin' Is Easy....NOT
Josiegirl 02:27 PM 06-22-2013
Is everybody hustling and bustling due to summer vacation? Do you find it actually goes smoother when you've got the older kids there or is it crazier? How many kids do you have through the year versus during the summer? Do you have to hire help or how do you deal with a bigger crew?

All this past year I've only had 5(was down one all year) that paid for fulltime although some went to preschool and I had one half day kindergartener. Now I've got 10 fulltimers so you'd think my income would be double but I've hired my dd to help. It's going to be good I think. The kids love her, she's 20 so is fun, fresh, lively, sees things differently than I do, has some great ideas. Maybe she'll even pass on some of her enthusiasm to me. After a person does this for 30+ years, a little burn-out is bound to happen.
Plus one of my 6 yo dcgs is like a little mother hen so she follows my 2 younger ones everywhere. It seems when you've got a larger group there are more 'buffers'. If 2 kids are squabbling they just break off and go play with others.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 06-23-2013
The only change I have going on in the summer (besides nicer weather) is that we don't do any sort if curriculum. Summer time is play time. Time for being outside all day, time for "living" in our swim suits and doing water play daily rather than weekly.

Summer time is fun time!

My group doesn't really change much as I don't take school age kids and a couple kids I have are from teacher families so they don't always attend 5 days a week so there are a few days here and there I have less kids but for the most part, I have my same regular 10-12 kids every day.

In the summer months, I take every other Friday off so that makes it nice for me too!
Play Care 03:55 AM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Is everybody hustling and bustling due to summer vacation? Do you find it actually goes smoother when you've got the older kids there or is it crazier? How many kids do you have through the year versus during the summer? Do you have to hire help or how do you deal with a bigger crew?

All this past year I've only had 5(was down one all year) that paid for fulltime although some went to preschool and I had one half day kindergartener. Now I've got 10 fulltimers so you'd think my income would be double but I've hired my dd to help. It's going to be good I think. The kids love her, she's 20 so is fun, fresh, lively, sees things differently than I do, has some great ideas. Maybe she'll even pass on some of her enthusiasm to me. After a person does this for 30+ years, a little burn-out is bound to happen.
Plus one of my 6 yo dcgs is like a little mother hen so she follows my 2 younger ones everywhere. It seems when you've got a larger group there are more 'buffers'. If 2 kids are squabbling they just break off and go play with others.
The last couple of years I have been FULL for the summers and I was miserable! I am already thinking I will be ending school aged care after this coming school year so this will be my last year for that. I may raise my rates a little to compensate. I found the BEST summers I've had has a provider were when my numbers stayed the same or went slightly down. Being able to take the kids places *on my own*without having to hire help was fun! It felt like summer time when I could pack up the cooler and head to the playground, splash pad, local pool, etc.
jenn 06:03 AM 06-24-2013
I have the same kids in the summer that I have the rest of the year, so it really doesn't matter to me. However, I have an opening and it seems like summer time openings have been harder for me to fill, unless I take school age.
Springdaze 10:54 AM 06-24-2013
This is my first day of summer and Lord help me! I have my 2 SA plus 2 more and 3 little ones. I planned things, but the one kid is a smart a$$ and the answer to every ?? is "China!" the boys don't listen, mine included. My son has been hanging out with the kid next door and keeps coming back and forth and I had to tell him I cant have the kid here because I will over my ratio. and the baby slept 45 min and now is getting into everything again!
I really hope I can find a job and close up!
Reply Up