Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>50 Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
PitterPatter 12:32 PM 05-15-2011
Being that I am too overprotective and a lot of u here are more at ease I wondered what the average opinions were on this book. If anyone actually has it I would love to hear your experince with it! As for me I haven't read the book yet but some of the things I can say right now NO WAY! Others I may try with my own son of course not daycare kids. Here is a paragraph I copied about the book. What are your thoughts?

Fifty Dangerous Things (you should let your children do) is the first book from the people who created Tinkering School. With projects, activities, experiences, and skills ranging from “Superglue Your Fingers Together” to “Play with Fire,” along with 48 other great ideas, the book is a manifesto for kids and parents alike to reclaim childhood. Easy to follow instructions, fun facts, and challenging undertakings that will engage and inspire whole households.

http://www.fiftydangerousthings.com/

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/moms/c...hould-be-doing
jen 06:17 PM 05-15-2011
Hmmm...I'm all for deconstructing an appliance...especially if it's already broken...but boiling water in a paper cup?

Uh, maybe if I understood the point...which I don't...

I do think kids can learn alot from this kind of exploration, and if it's done with a parent it really isn't too dangerous.
PitterPatter 06:50 PM 05-15-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Hmmm...I'm all for deconstructing an appliance...especially if it's already broken...but boiling water in a paper cup?

Uh, maybe if I understood the point...which I don't...

I do think kids can learn alot from this kind of exploration, and if it's done with a parent it really isn't too dangerous.
Yes I agree we do the appliancees here (the older kids) and we do a few of the other things in that book but not let them drive the car or encourage them to stick a 9volt on their tongue (i did it as a kid tho so i'm a hypocrite i just worry it will encourage other dangerous behavior) and def no super gluing fingers together! I just don't see what good would come of that. But I am overprotective so I wanted to see what others in the normal world thought lol Thanks!
snowborden1 09:07 AM 05-16-2011
DRIVING A CAR!?!?! Why on earth would anyone let their child DRIVE a car??? The child on this site sad he felt like a God... nobody should ever feel that powerful especially a child. I love the idea of letting children learn through exploring the world around them but letting them do something that could potentially kill them or others around them is completely wreck less and irresponsible. On the other hand, I do have to say that while I don't promote my kids to glue their fingers together they have done it and thought it was pretty funny. Their was no harm done and it kept them occupied for a while trying to get all the glue off. AND, they had super clean hands due to all the dial soap
Zoe 09:24 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by snowborden1:
DRIVING A CAR!?!?! Why on earth would anyone let their child DRIVE a car??? The child on this site sad he felt like a God... nobody should ever feel that powerful especially a child. I love the idea of letting children learn through exploring the world around them but letting them do something that could potentially kill them or others around them is completely wreck less and irresponsible. On the other hand, I do have to say that while I don't promote my kids to glue their fingers together they have done it and thought it was pretty funny. Their was no harm done and it kept them occupied for a while trying to get all the glue off. AND, they had super clean hands due to all the dial soap
When I was little my parents let me drive the car up at our cabin. I sat on my dad's lap and he had his foot on the pedals. It was a dirt road with no traffic and it was a ritual for me to drive the first part and my brother to drive the second part. This was before all the car seat restrictions and no one thought it was a problem.

Honestly, I would let my kids do this as well. Yes, it's dangerous, but up in the middle of nowhere, I don't see it as a big deal.
MG&Lsmom 09:34 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
When I was little my parents let me drive the car up at our cabin. I sat on my dad's lap and he had his foot on the pedals. It was a dirt road with no traffic and it was a ritual for me to drive the first part and my brother to drive the second part. This was before all the car seat restrictions and no one thought it was a problem.

Honestly, I would let my kids do this as well. Yes, it's dangerous, but up in the middle of nowhere, I don't see it as a big deal.
I have to admit that at while at my husband's running camp, where he was the director and owner, we let our kids "drive" the car to and from our cabin to the mess hall. Down a dirt path about 100yds. It rained all week and it was too muddy to walk with 3 little kids so we were driving back and forth a lot. My feet on the pedals and hands at 6 o'clock while they "steered". NEVER EVER on a real road. We won't even let them have those little 4x4s to drive. My son would be 1/2 way across town if he had one.
snowborden1 10:15 AM 05-16-2011
Okay, I guess in the middle of no where it wouldn't be a problem. lol, I wasn't even thinking that way when I read it. But it would have to be on flat dirt ground with no trees, cliffs, or big boulders if it were my kid! He is way to accident prone. My oldest son is is 15 almost 16 and about to get his license so at this point I am a freaked out mama! ahhhh
Sugar Magnolia 10:41 AM 05-16-2011
Saw a newspaper article once titled "Let them eat dirt, its good for 'em". Really! It talked about how eating a little dirt is good for digestion and building up immunities! Lol! Makes sense, I guess, but still!!!
jen 11:05 AM 05-16-2011
Yep, I remember being 9 and driving the car at the lakes...not a soul around and I think I probably did feel like God at the time! LOL!
PitterPatter 11:25 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Saw a newspaper article once titled "Let them eat dirt, its good for 'em". Really! It talked about how eating a little dirt is good for digestion and building up immunities! Lol! Makes sense, I guess, but still!!!
Yep I heard that too but eh... not sure about that these days.

I remember making mud pies when I was a kid. My Grandma would let us and the cousins experiment with anything (our anything was mild comapered to todays bright ideas) She would even supply the little foil pans and we would fill it up and pretend to eat it. Decorate them with flowers or weeds and pebbles etc. We would be so filthy we had to take 2 baths or get hosed down before the bath. It was a ball!! My yard doesn't have a bare spot for mud play but I may just have to dig something up 1 day for the kids.

Oh and driving a car on an old dirt road in the middle of nowhere on an adult lap wouldn't scare me too much
snowborden1 11:29 AM 05-16-2011
My kids and my dck all love the mud! It is one of their favorite things to play with outside (and in side during the middle of winter in a plastic tub). It's even better with mixed in "lettuce" (grass) as my dck calls it
Jewels 06:10 PM 05-16-2011
I always used to ride on my parents lap, and steer the car and "drive" Its one of those things children remember, I will let my kids do this whenever we make it somewhere out camping or something, I dont think its to dangerous if theres nothing around, since really they are not driving, your feet are on the pedals, and your hand are right there, I dont think that gives them to much power, I think of it more as being able to pretend your a grown up, right along the lines of stuffing tennis balls in a bra, and wearing mommies high heels. dirt doesn't scare me either
Cat Herder 06:15 PM 05-16-2011
I think it sounds fun!!! I may have to play with this list with my own kids (12,12 and 14)

Could make for a memorable summer of organized chaos!!!
Tags:over protective
Reply Up