Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New WILD Child...How Long To Give A Fair Chance?
AfterSchoolMom 12:38 PM 03-08-2011
Just started a new SA this week. They're WILD. Won't listen, interrupts me when I'm talking, have to tell them a MILLION times to finish homework, running around during quiet time... It's rubbing off on the others too, and it's only been two days!

How long do I give this child to settle in? I already feel like it's more than I can handle and that I made a terrible mistake.
daycare 12:59 PM 03-08-2011
they it takes 21 days to form or break a habit both good or bad.... so about a month.

just stand your ground and hang in there.. I think if they see you don't let anyone get away with breaking the rules, they well settle in...
nannyde 01:08 PM 03-08-2011
Did you talk to the parents about the kids behavior before you enrolled?

Did you ask them if their children mind adults?
snowborden1 01:23 PM 03-08-2011
Just stand your ground and make sure the child knows who is in charge as well as for the others as well. I would give it a month at least. But you have to make sure the child knows what the rules are and what the consequences are for breaking those rules.
Hang in there!
youretooloud 01:44 PM 03-08-2011
Grade school kids are SO hard. I don't understand why we don't charge triple for them.

Anyway, if over the next two or so weeks, you don't see an improvement, you might consider it a lost cause. But, if you see that he fits in well with your group, and becomes an important part of the group, I bet you will have him working well by summer. (summer seems so far off doesn't it?)

Sometimes the kid himself is difficult, but because he fits in so well with the other kids, it's worth the hassle. Other times, the other kids are just as annoyed with him as you are, and it's time to let him move on to another setting where he might fit in better.
AfterSchoolMom 01:44 PM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Nannyde, this child was in my child's class during a previous school year. We also did a phone interview and an person interview with the child present, AND I asked around. There was no indication that I'd see this kind of behavior, as I've never seen it before.

If I stick it out for a month, I may as well just stick it out for the rest of the year. There are only 11 or 12 more weeks left.
marniewon 07:41 PM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Ha Ha....do parents ever admit their children have flaws?? Especially to potential daycare providers? Because if they do, I haven't seen it.
AfterSchoolMom 03:58 AM 03-09-2011
No, they never do, do they. As far as parents are concerned, all kids are precious perfect angels!
Tags:unruly, wild child
Reply Up