Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One of the WORST Moments of My Life..
Breezy 09:46 AM 06-07-2012
PLEASE no judgement. I am beating myself up as it is already and my husband is not too happy with me.

DCG was sleeping soundly as she has been since she was dropped off early this morning. DS was playing quietly and watching Sesame Street. I was cleaning up the kitchen. I had some garbage to take out and figured I would get the dogs some water since it was getting hot.

I stepped outside onto the patio, shut the patio door since there are tons of flys out there that have been coming in the house, and threw the garbage in the trash about 5 ft away from the door. I turned around to come back in and pick up the water bowl on the way in and my 15 month old DS grabbed the lock on the door and locked me out!

It took me a minute to comprehend the gravity of the situation. The fact that the gate to the front was locked with a padlock and the key was in the house. The window to my bedroom was shut and locked and thats the only window on the back of the house. Our fence is 6ft brick so no chance of me climbing it.

I thankfully had my phone on me and called 911 who transfered me to the Fire Dept Dispatcher. She said they would be out in a few minutes. Meanwhile, I tried my hardest to remember the number to my husbands shop (new shop so I don't have the number in my phone yet) and called. I told them it was an emergency and they dispatched my husband in from the flight line to call me.

The fire Dept turned up and came to talk to me over the fence to assess the situation. All the windows were shut and locked as were the doors. The only way I was getting in was to have a window broken or the door broken down. DH called me just then and I told him what happened and asked him to come home.

The Fiire Dept said they would wait for him to come to save me from having to have something broken and to make sure all was well. A million things were running through my head like what if DCG woke up and started crying and I wasnt there to get her up. What will I tell her parents. Thankfully DS stayed next to the door the whole time so I knew where he was but he was upset that I wasn't coming in and he couldn;t figure out how to unlock the door for me.

About 15 minutes later my DH got home and unlocked the door. The fire man who was standing next to the gate with me said I was saved! And I thanked him profusely and said how sorry I was to have bothered him but I didn't know if I would have been able to get ahold of my DH. He said not to worry its what they are there for and it happens ALL the time.

As soon as the door was unlocked I ran into the bedroom to check on DCG who was sleepying soundly still. I then went outside where DH, DS and the fire man were and shook their hand and thanked them some more.

DH stuck around fror a few minutes while I gathered my composure and calmed down and then he headed back to work.

Seriously it was one of THE worst moments in my life. It could have ended badlly I know, and I will NEVER go out there again without another way to get in the house. I didn't know my DS could even reach the lock- MY how he has grown.

So, ladies... How would you have handled this situation and the even bigger question: Would you tell DCM and DCD? If no, why? If so, what would you say?

And PLEASE no judgement. I already know I am getting the Worlds Worst Mom and Provider award this year.....
sharlan 09:51 AM 06-07-2012
I know you feel bad, but really that could have happened to anyone. Hide a key outside, just in case.

Yes, I would tell the parents. You never know who saw the firemen at your house.

A gf was locked INSIDE her house one time when her dh took her car (and keys) to work one day. She couldn't get out of her house to go pick her kids up from school and had to call a neighbor. They had deadbolts on all of their doors and keyed locks on the windows. They're very paranoid people.
daycare 09:53 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
PLEASE no judgement. I am beating myself up as it is already and my husband is not too happy with me.

DCG was sleeping soundly as she has been since she was dropped off early this morning. DS was playing quietly and watching Sesame Street. I was cleaning up the kitchen. I had some garbage to take out and figured I would get the dogs some water since it was getting hot.

I stepped outside onto the patio, shut the patio door since there are tons of flys out there that have been coming in the house, and threw the garbage in the trash about 5 ft away from the door. I turned around to come back in and pick up the water bowl on the way in and my 15 month old DS grabbed the lock on the door and locked me out!

It took me a minute to comprehend the gravity of the situation. The fact that the gate to the front was locked with a padlock and the key was in the house. The window to my bedroom was shut and locked and thats the only window on the back of the house. Our fence is 6ft brick so no chance of me climbing it.

I thankfully had my phone on me and called 911 who transfered me to the Fire Dept Dispatcher. She said they would be out in a few minutes. Meanwhile, I tried my hardest to remember the number to my husbands shop (new shop so I don't have the number in my phone yet) and called. I told them it was an emergency and they dispatched my husband in from the flight line to call me.

The fire Dept turned up and came to talk to me over the fence to assess the situation. All the windows were shut and locked as were the doors. The only way I was getting in was to have a window broken or the door broken down. DH called me just then and I told him what happened and asked him to come home.

The Fiire Dept said they would wait for him to come to save me from having to have something broken and to make sure all was well. A million things were running through my head like what if DCG woke up and started crying and I wasnt there to get her up. What will I tell her parents. Thankfully DS stayed next to the door the whole time so I knew where he was but he was upset that I wasn't coming in and he couldn;t figure out how to unlock the door for me.

About 15 minutes later my DH got home and unlocked the door. The fire man who was standing next to the gate with me said I was saved! And I thanked him profusely and said how sorry I was to have bothered him but I didn't know if I would have been able to get ahold of my DH. He said not to worry its what they are there for and it happens ALL the time.

As soon as the door was unlocked I ran into the bedroom to check on DCG who was sleepying soundly still. I then went outside where DH, DS and the fire man were and shook their hand and thanked them some more.

DH stuck around fror a few minutes while I gathered my composure and calmed down and then he headed back to work.

Seriously it was one of THE worst moments in my life. It could have ended badlly I know, and I will NEVER go out there again without another way to get in the house. I didn't know my DS could even reach the lock- MY how he has grown.

So, ladies... How would you have handled this situation and the even bigger question: Would you tell DCM and DCD? If no, why? If so, what would you say?

And PLEASE no judgement. I already know I am getting the Worlds Worst Mom and Provider award this year.....
awe Breezy....you didn't intentionally make this happen, it was an accident. I am so sorry that this happened to you.

As children grow, they teach us that we have to set new boundaries. Sometimes we don't know until it's too late. Trust me when i tell you, we have all done something like this before. I think I locked my son in his room one time by accident when he was very little and once in the car also when he was very little. (and the car was running)

If it were me, I would tell the DCP. You don't want them to find out from someone else and I think that would just be the right thing to do.
itlw8 09:58 AM 06-07-2012
You did fine.

The parents will hear you had some excitment so tell them you stepped out the door to toos the trash and your son locked the door.Tell they you are glead you always carry your phone

Now I would put your dh number in it and I might consider getting another key and maybe wearing it around your neck???
youretooloud 10:01 AM 06-07-2012
I've been locked out a couple of times. The worst was when I put ALL the kids in the car, and buckled them into carseats. It was Late May, and 112 degrees outside.. the car was in the driveway in the sun.

JUST as I reached to open my driver's side door, I heard "click".... I looked inside in horror to see that I had put my keys in the carseat with Baby T.... she locked the doors with the keyfob. She was nine months old....so, saying "push the button" was useless.

Where was my spare key? In the house. I had locked the house... T had the house keys. The garage door opener was in the car.

I cajoled them for several minutes in the hot sun before a two year old was able to wrestle her shoulders out of the straps and reach over and take the keys from Baby T, who had slobbered all over it. She almost dropped it when she realized it had a string of spit from T's mouth to her hand...but, she put on her big girl panties and pushed the button.

It all lasted about 10-15 minutes, and the kids were very hot and sweaty, I was about 10years older. NOT FUN.

Anyway... I suggest finding ways to hide keys somewhere.

I cute a piece of pool noodle off, then slice that down the length so it slips over the edge of a door and the kids can't close it all the way. Maybe you could throw one of those on there as you walk out, that way you can close it all but one inch.
Kiki 10:08 AM 06-07-2012
Chin up, and don't be so hard on yourself! This could have happened to any of us really! I'll tell you a story that will make you giggle, this was one of my many panic moments, but I laugh about it now.

About two years ago we moved into a a new home, and were still learning all of the little quirks about the house, I was in the back bedroom with my youngest two DD, and my niece. At the time their ages were 1, 3, 3; we had no idea that the doorknob to the room did not open from the inside of the room...the 1 year old shut the door on us, because at the time, opening and closing doors was one of her favorite things to do.
The door of course, did not open for me when I went over to it. My face? I panicked!
I had no phone in the room with me, the windows in the room were smaller, and I'm a bigger girl so I was convinced I would not fit through them. I searched through their toy boxes to try and find anything I could use to pry that door open with. In the end, I ended up climbing on top of their toy boxes, and squeezing through the window, the whole time I was doing this, the 3 year old kids were cheering 'YOU CAN DO IT!' at me. I tell you what though, I was not laughing at the time this was happening. The only thing going through my head was 'Omg we are stuck in here all day long, and my oldest is going to be stuck outside when she gets home from school!'

So really, don't beat yourself up too much, stuff like this just happens, and I think your reaction to it was 100% acceptable.

I agree though, get an extra key hidden outside somewhere, you never know when stuff like this will happen.
With the fire department being called, you probably should let the parents know, you don't want them to hear from someone else that they were there, and have them think a serious accident happened.
B Lou 10:11 AM 06-07-2012
(((HUGS))) I think you handled it great. This could have happened to any one of us.

Don't beat yourself up. Tell the DCP what happened. Better to hear from you than someone else. After all by not telling might make them think twice about what else happens that they aren't told about. And again you handled it great.

Maybe you should get a key made and hide it outside, just in case.

As a parent I would be very pleased to know my provider handled it just right and didn't panic.

GOOD JOB!!!
Sugar Magnolia 10:25 AM 06-07-2012
We were outside with all the kids playing, and realized we locked ourselves out. Not a huge deal, we were all together, no one was "trapped". It is a two story house, I knew the upstairs bathroom window was unlocked. I scaled the porch, got onto the sunroom roof, kicked all the stuff we store in the upstairs tub out of the way, and I was in! The kids called me Spiderman and we had.a good laugh. My husband was too big to fit through the little window, so it was up to me. Yeah, we have a hide-a-key now.
My3cents 10:30 AM 06-07-2012
PLEASE no judgement. I am beating myself up as it is already and my husband is not too happy with me. because you inconvenienced him or because he feels you were not responsible? Actually it doesn't matter. Your husband should be supportive- You didn't do this on purpose.

I disagree with this. I think you handled the situation well. You called the fire department to help you. Called your husband. If your child was out of site of you or in danger- you would have hit the window with a brick or whatever and figured a way to get inside the house. I applaud you- you stayed calm and collected and no one was hurt. I would prob tell parents or not. Your call. If you think it would freak them out, then maybe I wouldn't. If it came up I would tell them. I probably would just tell my parents. I would say, we had a little excitement today and then just spill it.

No judging- your human, again you didn't do this on purpose and it is not something that happens often if ever before. Don't beat yourself up over this. Make spares-

I look at your post as an awareness, your helping others to make sure to have spare keys. I key saying I need to do this- so thank you for sharing.

Breezy 10:38 AM 06-07-2012
I think he thinks I was being irresponsbile and he is worried I will lose the family. He doesn't think I should tell since everything was ok and she was asleep. I am on the fence because I would want to know if it was my child and I don't know if I can live with the guilt!
daycare 10:43 AM 06-07-2012
I think he thinks I was being irresponsbile and he is worried I will lose the family. He doesn't think I should tell since everything was ok and she was asleep. I am on the fence because I would want to know if it was my child and I don't know if I can live with the guilt!
breezy...no offence, but your husband does not run you business YOU do. You do what you feel is right..

From the sounds of it, you husband would have been mad no matter what decision you made. AGAIN, this was an accident. He is not perfect, no one is and so he can't point the blame on you. If you would have not called him, you would have had to break a window, then he would be upset about that. If you would not have taken out the trash for him to do when he got home, he would have been upset about that. If you would have not given the dogs water all day long, he would been upset about that...and so on and so on.... As everyone knows, accidents will happen, it's how you respond to them that really matters.

I would stop worrying about what he thinks and know that you did the right thing when things went wrong. You should applaud yourself that you were able to do the right things for all that were involved.

Again more hugs to you
momofsix 10:57 AM 06-07-2012
I would tell them, but make it sound as harmless as possible.
Avoid mentioning your panic etc. Just calmly and matter of factly tell them what happened without adding any drama. Let them know as soon as the door locked you called dh and the fire dept. and you got back in no problems at all. Baby was sleeping in bed the whole time.

Sorry you've had a rough day...praying the rest of your week is smooth and easy. Others are right, we've ALL done something like this.
My3cents 11:00 AM 06-07-2012
you need to do what is best for you. If you want to tell them, tell them. Why would you want to know this if it was your child? Give yourself a pat on the back, you handled this well and its ok that your not perfect. You learned- make a key. Move on. Remind your husband that you would like him to be more supportive in the event of future mistakes- you are beating yourself up enough, you don't need to hear it from him too. It could have been your husband that this happened while you were out doing errands on a day off. What would he have done- called you. Hugs
jojosmommy 11:05 AM 06-07-2012
My son locked me out a few months back. He is 3, locked the door and then went to the table to color. I could see him and he saw my you better unlock the door face and chose to unlock it, we had already taught him how to do that though thankfully. No daycare kids were here.

We have a detached garage and we have an extra key hanging inside there just in case. My parents put a nail with a key hanging on it on the underside of one of their deck boards around the backside of their house. I would suggest doing either for next time.

I would also tell the parents. I would be calm, tell them the entire story and that their child was asleep the entire time, safe. I would tell them what plans you have in place (like an extra key) so that this doesn't happen again.

If they are understanding people they should understand that someday their own child may do this to them.
SilverSabre25 11:08 AM 06-07-2012
You're gonna think this is funny someday, I promise!!

You're NOT a bad mommy!
You're NOT a bad provider!

What you ARE is a human being!!

Strange things happen and we can't plan for every eventuality! PLEASE don't beat yourself up about it!! Of course it was scary at the time, but it will be seriously funny to you eventually. Even if dcg had woken up, she would have been fine Mad, but safe and fine.

My sister has been locked OUT of her son's room a few times, and locked IN to it once--with the whole family. She called our BIL for help, and when he arrived, he opened the door, he came in, and my nephew shut it on them again!! They ended up having to send the five year old out the window (first floor, luckily) to go around and open the door for them. Oooops!
Breezy 11:12 AM 06-07-2012
Dad just picked up and I told him. He thought it was kind of funny and said even if she had woken up she wpuld have been fine. He said sorry to me that I had a stressful morning. I said alls well that ends well right? Whew!
SilverSabre25 11:15 AM 06-07-2012
And as for telling them, I would definitely tell, but with a laugh and a "OMG the craziest thing happened, my DS is SUCH a stinker!"

See, I discovered the hard way yesterday that my front storm door doesn't latch tightly all the time...either that, or DS is tall enough to open the door (possible, it's one of those lever-style handles)--DS has just mastered crawling up and down the steps and is CRAZY to practice. We have a bi-level, so there are six stairs, a landing with the front door, and six more stairs. We often leave the front door open with the glass storm door closed. I went downstairs with a basket of laundry and DS was following me at his pace. He stopped, as always, to gaze out the door. I went on down to put the laundry in (laundry room is right at the bottom of the steps) and after a minute one of those "mommy alarms" went off in my head--maybe I heard the sound of the storm door, I'm not sure--and I went to check. Sure enough, DS was out the door, on the porch, and when he saw me he grinned and tried to really quickly get down the six-inch step to the sidewalk so he could run off. He was MAD when I brought him in!! Of course, I'm a bit aghast at what *could* have happened and am taking appropriate measures--but at the same time it was kind of funny. My point is, these things do happen, and they don't make us terrible people. They make us HUMAN.

(((HUGS)))
Blackcat31 11:18 AM 06-07-2012
So glad this worked out well and (((hugs))) for the stress that happened with it....

I am also so glad you told the dad. I would prefer my daycare provider be accident prone versus being a liar or being untruthful....kwim?

This kind of thing could definitely happen to anyone and since it can and does, now you just learned a good lesson and know what to do and not to do to prevent it from happening again.

Again, so happy things worked out well for you, I am sure you were super stressed and worried as we all would have been. Happy day!
safechner 11:21 AM 06-07-2012
Don't beat up yourself. It happens someone like this. I remember when it happened to me.

We moved into a new house in Aug 2004. I only have one daycare girl (was 14 month old at that time) and my daughter was just turned two years old. We were playing outside in the back yard while I painted the stain into our fence so I can watch them at the same time. We just enjoyed that day. I told the girls to go back in the house to get ready to go pick up my other daughter who was in preschool and I will be inside a min after I closed the paint can. When I went back to the door and it was locked by my daughter. I asked her to open the door for me and she couldn't able open the door for a while. I freaked out every more. I knew my front door is unlocked and I went the gate to open but I can't because it locked in the front and I can't climb to get out the gate. I had tried to climb but it doesn't work. I cried for about 30 mins because I do not have a cell phone at that time. I finally heard someone who building the next house from my house and I yelled at him and beg him to come in the front to open the backyard door and he did. I thank him for that. I was embarrassed and worst of my life like this.. I was stuck for an hour in the backyard. We went to pick up my daughter at preschool and it was 30 mins late and I explained to them what happened. They laughed and told me not to beat up myself and it happened to them like that. I relieved to know that I am not alone. I also told my daycare girl's mother about what happened at pick up and she laughed about it.

It is up to you to tell your daycare mother about what happened. If it were me, I would tell them. It is your call.
Countrygal 11:25 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I know you feel bad, but really that could have happened to anyone. Hide a key outside, just in case.

Yes, I would tell the parents. You never know who saw the firemen at your house.
What Sharlan said! It could happen to any of us!! Cut yourself some slack. Just the fact that you feel bad tells me it wasn't something you normally do. Her idea of hiding a key outside is a great one.

Now, take some {{{{HUGS}}}} and try to forgive yourself!
Breezy 11:32 AM 06-07-2012
Thank you for your kind words everyone. I feel so much better. And yes I did tell DH that it was my decision if i was going to tell DCF. I would not feel right keeping it from them. I also told him that if they werent understanding and pulled DCG then they may as well stay home with her because it could happen ro anyone and if it did happen elsewhere they cant be guarenteed that it would have been handled the way it was here. Swiftly with no incident. I very well could have left my phone in the house and then I would have been more stuck! But I was texting my mom at the time so I had it on me, thank goodnesss.

Also glad I remembered DHs new work number so I could call him to come home and nothing had to be broken. They say your brain stops remembering numbers because we all put them in our phones now. So glad I remembered it! He only told me once but the last four digits were 5432. Easy!

Also glad telling DCD went well and he is an understanding person! Im truly blessed!!!

Thanks again ladies!
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 06-07-2012
Thank you for your kind words everyone. I feel so much better. And yes I did tell DH that it was my decision if i was going to tell DCF. I would not feel right keeping it from them. I also told him that if they werent understanding and pulled DCG then they may as well stay home with her because it could happen ro anyone and if it did happen elsewhere they cant be guarenteed that it would have been handled the way it was here. Swiftly with no incident. I very well could have left my phone in the house and then I would have been more stuck! But I was texting my mom at the time so I had it on me, thank goodnesss.

Also glad I remembered DHs new work number so I could call him to come home and nothing had to be broken. They say your brain stops remembering numbers because we all put them in our phones now. So glad I remembered it! He only told me once but the last four digits were 5432. Easy!

Also glad telling DCD went well and he is an understanding person! Im truly blessed!!!

Thanks again ladies!
I think telling DCD that it happened showed him that you ARE a capable and logical provider who acts swiftly in the moment of chaos as well as kept a calm head and did what needed to be done. You proved your worth today for sure!
Breezy 11:45 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think telling DCD that it happened showed him that you ARE a capable and logical provider who acts swiftly in the moment of chaos as well as kept a calm head and did what needed to be done. You proved your worth today for sure!
Aw thanks! Yay me!

My mom must have spread the word to my family members because I am getting texts from them saying how well I handled it as well
DCBlessings27 11:48 AM 06-07-2012
Here's a note...make sure you check every once in awhile to make sure the spare key is hidden if you keep one outside.

We got locked outside one day awhile back by a dcg. She had gone in to potty. I stayed outside with the kids bc she's old enough to go by herself. Well, she couldn't open the door and must have started flipping locks. I went to open the door and was locked out. I didn't panic. I *knew* that we had a key hidden in the front of the house. Guess what? It wasn't there.

I always have my phone on me while outside, so I did call dh at work. He wasn't thrilled about the possibility of driving home, but he would have. Luckily, I got dcg to move to the front door that has easier locks. She unlocked the front door. Now, I take my keys with me outside just in case.
Kaddidle Care 12:39 PM 06-07-2012
Aww honey - I'm sure it's happend to many of us.

It happened to me - my oldest was in one of those old walkers that are on wheels - I stepped out to get the mail and the little booger slammed the door on me - unfortunately it was locked!

I could hear him running top speed through the house (I had hardwood floors at the time) - WHEEEEEEE!

Thankfully my bathroom window was cracked open and I managed to remove the screen and climb back in.

Ever since then it has become habit to put the keys in my pocket and pat my pocket just prior to stepping out.

Not going to beat you up at all. All is well.
JaydensMommy 12:51 PM 06-07-2012
Something similar happened to me... Only it was my son in a car in very hot weather. I had set him on the seat to go around to the other side of the car. Well before I could get around to the other side he hit the lock button for the doors. And I had also set my keys down.. I freaked out and felt absolutely horrible. I called my husband and he had me call onstar, they wouldn't help since I didn't pay for the service so I called the police, they ended up busting a window since the tow truck took too long and it was so hot and my son was crying. I felt like a horrible mom for a while. And now even though my son is four I never ever close the car door when he is in there. I do think it could happen to anyone. And I think you absolutely did the right thing.
Former Teacher 12:52 PM 06-07-2012

Aww Breezy- loads of hugs! The last time I checked we are all human so its okay!

One of my worst moments happened years ago (long before cell phones and all that good stuff) at my former center. We didn't open until 6:30 however I would get there at 6:15 or so to get my things together etc.

There were ALWAYS parents who would sit and knock on the door even though the lights in the front would be off. Likewise they would sit on the porch waiting for me to unlock the door.

Well I had just arrived and a parent pulled in. It was 6:15. I knew who it was and she had a 15 month old girl. She kept on knocking on the door. Going back to her van, then coming back, just knocking. A normal knock. I kept thinking: you are waiting! Your knocking isn't going to make me open the door.

Well 6:30 came and she was waiting at the door. I no sooner opened the door and she pushed herself in and said I need to use your phone. My car door locked and Valerie is in the van and its running.

I was like WHAT?!?! Why didn't BANG on the door? I would have answered to an emergency knock! Her response? Well I don't think its to much of an emergency since you were planning on opening in 15 mins anyway.

I so wanted to say what were you doing getting out of the van anyway at 6:15 but I bit my tongue

Some parents
Creek 01:19 PM 06-07-2012
*Hugs*

I had a babysitter over to babysit DD who went out my front door to sit on the porch while DD was up in bed. There is a lock on the door knob that if it's pushed in will lock the door from the outside. That's exactly what happened. Luckily she had her cell phone on her. She tried all my first floor windows with no luck and called 911 to let her in. They broke my bathroom window to get in. It was a surprise when we got home alright, but I was just glad everything was ok. I was more concerned for the babysitter having to deal with that kind of stress. She was visibly upset. DD was fine, and asleep.

If you want to share with the parents what happened, then share. Truth be told, my husband would have NO say in my relations with my DCF's. I don't tell him how to work at his job, he provides me with the same respect. I would hope he would be more concerned about your stress factor at the time with your child and a DCK in the home. You do what feels right to you.
Creek 01:22 PM 06-07-2012

Thanks again ladies!
Glad to hear all went well!
Ariana 02:05 PM 06-07-2012
Stuff happens right?!! You learn from it and move on!! You handled yourself very well and the sitation was taken care of. We're all humans who make mistakes
saved4always 02:18 PM 06-07-2012
No judgement here.....just understanding. Like former teacher said, you are human. We ALL are and because of that (and the fact that we cannot see into the future), stuff happens. I did that to my mother one time when I was little. I think she went out to the mailbox or something really quick like that. I locked the screen door behind her but she couldn't get me to unlock it. She stopped a neighbor boy who was passing by and I beilieve he was able to get the screen out so she could get back in. Scared her silly.

This could happen to any of us. I have gone out to the mailbox while all the kids were napping before and, when my own kids were little, I am sure that I would go to the mailbox or to the garage to get rid of garbage while they were awake. I was never locked out, but I could have been.

If it did happen to me, I probably would have told the parents just because I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. I think the story would just slip out . I don't think any of my particular parents would have been concerned about it, especially if thier child was not the one free to roam the house. Knowing the parents I had, they would probably have laughed at me.

I am glad that you were able to get back in relatively quickly and that your son stayed by the door. I hope you have had a calm day after all that!
littlemissmuffet 02:53 PM 06-07-2012
Great job handling a very stressful situation!!

It's never happened to me, but it did happen to my sister who is also a daycare provider. Her hubs had to drive all the way home from work to let her back in... he thought it was funny.
Heidi 05:04 PM 06-07-2012
You did fine!

Your husband is not your parent. Next time he acts like it, say "I'm so sorry to disappoint you, DAD!

A similar situation happened to me years ago when I was a Nanny. My son and dcb (both 20 months old) where playing in the livingroom. I was tidying the kitchen, and the garbage was full. So, I took it to the hallway (right outside the door, but INSIDE the 2 unit building). The door slammed behind me, and I had 2 toddlers in there!

The door could open from the inside, but not the outside. The boys came to the door...and I tried to coach them to "turn the handle". The cat's water dish was right there...which they knocked over, then slipped on. They were like 2 fish in there flopping around on the floor, and I was outside...frustrated and laughing and crying at the same time. I knew they were safe...because they were obviously both right on the otherside of the door.

This was before cell phones...and the house phone was INSIDE.

I think they eventually turned the knob and let me in.

A few weeks later, the same dcb locked himself in the bathroom of the same flat. I ended up having to push the key out (one of those "skeleton keys") and snag it under the door somehow.

Both those boys are 22 year old men now...somehow they survived my mad nanny skills!
MizzCheryl 05:28 PM 06-07-2012
Happened to me too Breezy. We were going on a field trip and I locked myself outta the house with no keys and 5 kids. Its pretty funny now. Had to drag all the kids to a neighbors to call my exhusband to come let us in. He was mad too. I told all the parents. They laughed.
You handeled it great. It takes alot of nerve to call the fire dept. And lucky you had your phone.
SunnyDay 05:48 PM 06-07-2012
What a scary situation! You handled it perfectly.
jen 08:59 PM 06-07-2012
When I was doing daycare, I stepped outside to toss some stinky diapers in the garbage. The daycare kids were all sleeping and the school-agers were playing on my front porch. I left the front door open and one of the daycare kids slammed the door behind them on the way out...and yes, it was locked.

I was able to get in the garage, but not in the house. I grabbed a ladder, went to every windor until I found one that wasn't locked, ripped the screen off and climbed through. Little daycare boy woke up as I clammered through his window. He thought I'd lost my mind

My daycare parents thought it was hysterical. Thank God no one thought I was robbing my own house and called the police.

It happens, don't be so hard on yourself.
DaisyMamma 04:17 AM 06-08-2012
I would be very upset too, but you really didnt do anything wrong!
Because the fire dept came you'll have to tell dcp. good luck :hugs:
vonp 10:25 AM 06-08-2012
Omygosh...nothing scarier but I think you acted just fine in the situation.

It reminds me of a time I was with a friend who did child care and she asked if I would ride with her to the store for milk and the bank (cashing her checks for the weekend). We had 6 kids with us including my youngest. On the way back from the grocery store (we took the kids inside because the bakery would give them a free cookie) my friend realized the baby had pooed her diaper. We strapped all the rest of kids in their carseats for the return ride home and locked the doors because we had one little DCB who liked to open the door while we were driving (NOT GOOD!!!)

Anyhow, my friend changes the babies diaper in the back of the van and shuts the trunk and realizes she's lost her keys We looked everywhere. In the car, under the car, on top of the car. She practically stripped her clothes off looking for them. Meanwhile we've got 5 kids sweating to death in the car. Mind you this was in the days before cell phones....we debated calling the husband, a locksmith, the police, fire dept etc. Finally she says to me : Take the baby I'll go check in the store to see if I dropped them accidently. I take the baby and shift her to my hip and feel a lump in her diaper...guess what it was...THE KEYS

It probably took 10 years off our lifespans while the panic was setting in and gave us a few gray hairs early but she decided to get one of those magnetic key cases and kept a spare "super-glued" to the underside the car from then on!

It can happen to anyone!
Reply Up