Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do?
DaycareMom 07:30 AM 12-04-2013
I have 4 older DCKs (ages 3-5) and one 13 month old...

They older kids love to go outside and they really NEED it. My problem is that the 13 month old can't really handle the cold for that long. He is not walking yet and always takes off his mittens, hat and shoes/socks.

My DD goes to Kindy from 8:15-11:00 am. DCB (13 months) takes his morning nap from 9:30-10:30 am. Then, when we get back from picking up my daughter, we all go outside. I wait for DD to come home so she can have outside time too and DCB can't nap during outside play.

What do you do with babies during outdoor time?
kelsey's kids 08:24 AM 12-04-2013
I my state we have sight or sound as the rule with children. So when the older ones need to be outside and it is way to cold for baby to be out long I put the gate locks on and let the older ones outside. I keep the door open and have a huge picture glass window I will sit in front of me the window and watch the older will babies play. Also they aren't allowed on the climbers while I am not directly out there so there is no falling.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I have 4 older DCKs (ages 3-5) and one 13 month old...

They older kids love to go outside and they really NEED it. My problem is that the 13 month old can't really handle the cold for that long. He is not walking yet and always takes off his mittens, hat and shoes/socks.

My DD goes to Kindy from 8:15-11:00 am. DCB (13 months) takes his morning nap from 9:30-10:30 am. Then, when we get back from picking up my daughter, we all go outside. I wait for DD to come home so she can have outside time too and DCB can't nap during outside play.

What do you do with babies during outdoor time?
Put long socks over his mittens UNDER his sleeves. That way he can't take them off.

Can you pull him I a sled? I usually walk around the yard pulling a sled full of babies that don't normally "play" outside. Keeps them in my sight as well as occupies them long enough to get some fresh air in them.
Meyou 08:30 AM 12-04-2013
You can always use a playpen outside for a dry play spot or I know one provider on her uses small swimming pools as baby trappers outside.
DaycareMom 08:35 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
You can always use a playpen outside for a dry play spot or I know one provider on her uses small swimming pools as baby trappers outside.
Yeah that is what I am already doing. I have a small gated area just for baby, but like I said, he does NOT like the cold - just takes off all his winter gear and then cries.

BC - I like the sled idea but there is not any snow here yet. It's just VERY VERY cold!
Meyou 08:36 AM 12-04-2013
Have you tried wrapping him up in a blanket and sticking him in a chair? Maybe he'd be happier warm and watching the kids play?
DaycareMom 09:58 AM 12-04-2013
Have you tried wrapping him up in a blanket and sticking him in a chair? Maybe he'd be happier warm and watching the kids play?
Yes ... he is very active. HATES being confined.
coolconfidentme 11:13 AM 12-04-2013
He may just have to suck it up until he gets use to it.
misslori50 11:14 AM 12-04-2013
I use a playpen too
cheerfuldom 11:33 AM 12-04-2013
If you have to keep him, then I would do my best to keep him warm and then just turn him loose and let him cry. Really, I am not staying indoors all day because one child doesnt like it. Put him on the schedule you want him on, strap down those clothes as best as possible and then just let him cry. If you are really concerned about the clothing, I would find something for him and keep it at the daycare. You can get jackets that button to the mittens, hats that strap under the chin or that you pull on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maximo-Child...-/110950507526

I would just purchase what he needs, leave it at the daycare and once you know he is warm, let him cry. he will get used to it.
nothingwithoutjoy 12:00 PM 12-04-2013
I bundle very warmly and expect all kids to learn to play outside. Usually that requires me to do lots of entertaining of the littlest ones on super cold days, but it's worth it in the end.

I did the pull-in-a-sled trick a lot. And at one point, when we had horrible cold and no snow, I asked a friend for recommendations, and she suggested just pacing the yard with the little one in a stroller. It felt ridiculous, but it helped. The big kids like doing the pushing/pulling sometimes.

One family, whose daughter kept yanking off any and all mittens, sewed a pair of mittens to a zip-up sweatshirt's sleeves. That went on first, then coat. Impossible to remove. :-)
DaycareMom 12:22 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I bundle very warmly and expect all kids to learn to play outside. Usually that requires me to do lots of entertaining of the littlest ones on super cold days, but it's worth it in the end.

I did the pull-in-a-sled trick a lot. And at one point, when we had horrible cold and no snow, I asked a friend for recommendations, and she suggested just pacing the yard with the little one in a stroller. It felt ridiculous, but it helped. The big kids like doing the pushing/pulling sometimes.

One family, whose daughter kept yanking off any and all mittens, sewed a pair of mittens to a zip-up sweatshirt's sleeves. That went on first, then coat. Impossible to remove. :-)

Great Idea! Thank you!
Tags:outside play winter
Reply Up