Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Providers that Breastfeed
mamamanda 05:49 AM 01-12-2015
If you nurse your baby during daycare hours, do you need to have that written in your handbook somewhere or do you just do it without saying anything? I have a friend who is weirded out by her daughter being in the room with me when I breastfeed my infant. I am modest about it usually with a cover over us and if not a cover, I have a blanket pulled so that you can't see anything. I just didn't know how to address that with potential clients as I'm getting ready to start interviewing. Thank you.
EchoMom 06:11 AM 01-12-2015
I'm legally unlicensed and only have young children - all 3 and under. I don't take older children, partly Brevard of this reason. I nurse my infant and don't use a cover or anything. The kids are too little to pay attention and my shirt and baby cover most everything. I don't divulge any personal info at interviews. I have an infant and work at home so it should go without saying I'm probably going to nurse. If a parent didn't like it, then it's not a good fit and they should go elsewhere.
Controlled Chaos 06:51 AM 01-12-2015
I nursed 2 babies while doing daycare. I never used a cover. I often wore 2 shirts (tank under a regular one) so I could pull one up and one down. I had children as old as 4. I never discussed it with parents. I honestly didn't think it was their business. I read books, supervised crafts etc while nursing so it didn't take away my attention from the children. I only had a parent bring it up twice. Once to remark how impressed they were I could walk and nurse as I would often walk around the play room while nursing. And once when a dcm made a reference to her 4 yo asking if his mom had nursed him. I think the best way to make kids not care, it to not make a big deal about it.
Second Home 07:34 AM 01-12-2015
I nursed one of my kids when doing child care , I never said anything to parents . I either covered with a light sheet type cloth or swiveled my chair so I could see the kids but the could not really see what I was doing .
safechner 08:55 AM 01-12-2015
I do still nurse my son at my daycare but I cover up. I just let parents know that I breastfeed and they dont have any problem with that.
Play Care 09:31 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I nursed 2 babies while doing daycare. I never used a cover. I often wore 2 shirts (tank under a regular one) so I could pull one up and one down. I had children as old as 4. I never discussed it with parents. I honestly didn't think it was their business. I read books, supervised crafts etc while nursing so it didn't take away my attention from the children. I only had a parent bring it up twice. Once to remark how impressed they were I could walk and nurse as I would often walk around the play room while nursing. And once when a dcm made a reference to her 4 yo asking if his mom had nursed him. I think the best way to make kids not care, it to not make a big deal about it.
This. You are feeding your baby, not giving a show.
I did make it so I wasn't nursing when parents picked up, but I also make sure I'm not giving bottles at that time, too. I just like to be able to talk to parents without having to multitask if it's possible. But other than that, if baby needs to be fed, baby gets fed.
Mamaof5littlerugrats 01:12 PM 01-12-2015
I find it so sad that this is even a thought in anyone's mind or needs any discussion. I breastfeed and have nursed all 5 of min for 2+years...so have all women since the beginning of time unless you consider the last 50-60 years or so. I would never accept a child whose parents had an issue with it honestly.
No cover. It's not something I would ever hide in front of anyone.
Tags:breastfeeding at work, breastfeeding in daycare
Reply Up