Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Agressive 2 year old...Need Advice
Mom2TLE 11:24 AM 07-12-2012
I am new here but I think I could get some good advice. I'll start with a little backround. DCG started back in October just before she turned 2 she did have some hitting issues that we were working on and she would throw massive tantrums at drop off. Towards Dec I hired an assistant due to some pregnancy issues I was having. She would grab the assistants hair kick at her and try to pinch at drop off. I thought we could work on it to where she would learn to come in without a fight but in the end I closed for 3.5 months when DD was born premature. Come march I opened back up with and let mom bring her back. (My Bad) She continues to be aggressive at drop off only with me now since i no longer have an assistant. She started pinching about 8 weeks ago (She has just returned after a 3 week break) Today she pinched the face of another DCG 3yr old and got her eye in the process. Not a serious injury but to me this seems like a liability, What if she had scratched the inside of the eye? DCM of the 3 year old has been very understanding but a mom can only take so much this little girl has been the victim of the majority of 2.5 yr old's attacks. I have talked verbally with DCM about the DCG's agressivness and it will get better then goes downhill again. So would you give notice, probation, or terminate immediatly? I don't know if this is something I can teach her not to do.
Interactions with parents and siblings are usually someone does something she does not want them to do she hits and screams DCP say stop leave her alone (to the sibling not DCG) I think that she has learned that agressivness get her what she wants. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
clep 12:01 PM 07-12-2012
I have had children like this and have shadowed each one of them. It worked every time. If I had to do something like prep lunch and couldn't have my eye on them, I would sit them in in an area away from the other children where I could see them until lunch was on the table.

Being so close to them all day, I would literally catch the child's arm before hitting and correct the behavior. I would have them then practice using speech to get their needs met, explain we can't understand what they want when hitting and that I could not help then. I tell them what to say and how to handle the situation effectively with the peer and have them do that. If they are unwilling to do that, they can sit somewhere else away from our group until they will. Once they do, I provide them verbal encouragement, kisses and hugs and a stamp on their hand.

I have puppet shows where the puppets are behaving inappropriately and have the children coax the puppets to better behavior. Each child get's a stamp for participation in it.

I catch the other children as many times as I can making appropriate choices and provide unsolicited encouragement. The child that is having difficulties is very likely to come around and want to earn the same encouragement the other children are receiving.
cheerfuldom 12:33 PM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by clep:
I have had children like this and have shadowed each one of them. It worked every time. If I had to do something like prep lunch and couldn't have my eye on them, I would sit them in in an area away from the other children where I could see them until lunch was on the table.

Being so close to them all day, I would literally catch the child's arm before hitting and correct the behavior. I would have them then practice using speech to get their needs met, explain we can't understand what they want when hitting and that I could not help then. I tell them what to say and how to handle the situation effectively with the peer and have them do that. If they are unwilling to do that, they can sit somewhere else away from our group until they will. Once they do, I provide them verbal encouragement, kisses and hugs and a stamp on their hand.

I have puppet shows where the puppets are behaving inappropriately and have the children coax the puppets to better behavior. Each child get's a stamp for participation in it.

I catch the other children as many times as I can making appropriate choices and provide unsolicited encouragement. The child that is having difficulties is very likely to come around and want to earn the same encouragement the other children are receiving.
some good ideas....but I will also add that with the ongoing issues and the fact that you now have a fragile infant in care that yes, the aggressive behavior IS a liability. She may need more attention and "shadowing" than you are able to give right now and if that is the case, there is nothing wrong with you telling this mom that this is not working out.
Reply Up