Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Ready for Kindergarten
CrazyJ 06:31 AM 06-21-2018
I have this 4 year old girl that will turn 5 in July. I teach preschool in a in home daycare. I believe she is not ready for Kindergarten. I can't really tell if she is really struggling with keeping up with my other 4 years old or if she likes to play dumb. Her parents says she likes to play dumb because that means she gets more attention and they are ready to send her because they are tired of paying for daycare. I just don't want to see her fail. I have done everything I possibly can to teach her, I use different methods, technique and it doesn't click. Not sure what to do or if I need to do anything at all.
nannyde 06:44 AM 06-21-2018
No worries.

She can take Kindergarten twice if she needs to. If the parents can get free daycare for her first year of Kindergarten and then have her go to Kindergarten a second time both she and they will be better off.

I don't believe in the concept of academic "kindergarten ready". If the child has significant delays the school system is responsible to provide services.

I'm more interested in if the child is well behaved, healthy, kind to others, rested, can follow directions, non violent etc.

It's okay for parents to believe their child is fine when they aren't. Perfectly normal. Once they go to free school they will get the truth when the child is in a group of kids the same age and the adult has 30 of them.

Just enjoy the rest of the summer with her and don't spend a minute "working" with her. Let her free play and self entertain. What you are doing, she isn't ready for. That's okay. Just love her up and let the parents and school do her kindergarten readiness or kindergarten repeat.
daycarediva 09:41 AM 06-21-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No worries.

She can take Kindergarten twice if she needs to. If the parents can get free daycare for her first year of Kindergarten and then have her go to Kindergarten a second time both she and they will be better off.

I don't believe in the concept of academic "kindergarten ready". If the child has significant delays the school system is responsible to provide services.

I'm more interested in if the child is well behaved, healthy, kind to others, rested, can follow directions, non violent etc.

It's okay for parents to believe their child is fine when they aren't. Perfectly normal. Once they go to free school they will get the truth when the child is in a group of kids the same age and the adult has 30 of them.

Just enjoy the rest of the summer with her and don't spend a minute "working" with her. Let her free play and self entertain. What you are doing, she isn't ready for. That's okay. Just love her up and let the parents and school do her kindergarten readiness or kindergarten repeat.

Amen to this.

In our current district, the kids get evaluated prior to starting K and the district places them in 3 different level classrooms. Spec ed, where some intervention is required, a JR. K, where academics are behind only, and their regular K classrooms. They re-evaluate at the end of every quarter, so if there is significant improvement, the kids can 'move up'.

I will NOT red shirt another K kid because of this program. I had plenty in our last district and it was always incredibly challenging.
Tags:kindergarten - preparation
Reply Up