Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
What I have been trying to express is the ones who have the same core philosophy other than the ones I mentioned as IRL friends don't have any connection to me anymore than they have a connection to you.

Calling my theories and practices koolaid is a pretty loaded statement. I make my living off of that koolaid and I think I'm doing well with it. I don't write anything here that I don't believe in. I give my time to this site and I make part of my living off of consulting by serving up that koolaid. I also USE the practices in the care of children and their parents pay for it AND read this site.

Keep calling it that and I will end up having a truckload of Koolaid packets arriving at my house. I'll never hear the end of it from my "clients" both in home and consulting... so can we find another word?

Disclaimer: I do not serve Koolaid. I have never purchased Koolaid and do not endorse the giving of Koolaid to preschoolers, toddlers, infants, and especially not newborns.
LOVE your disclaimer...gave me my much needed laugh of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 PM
CheekyChick's Avatar
CheekyChick CheekyChick is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 811
Default

Nan,

What I have been trying to express is the ones who have the same core philosophy other than the ones I mentioned as IRL friends don't have any connection to me anymore than they have a connection to you.

I disagree with your theory. It is human nature (for some) to be in awe of and/or show respect to people they feel are in a position of power. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Calling my theories and practices koolaid is a pretty loaded statement. I make my living off of that koolaid and I think I'm doing well with it. I don't write anything here that I don't believe in. I give my time to this site and I make part of my living off of consulting by serving up that koolaid. I also USE the practices in the care of children and their parents pay for it AND read this site.

I am NOT calling your theories and practices "Koolaid." That actually makes no sense anyway... I was referring to the cult leader who made his followers drink cyanide-laced Koolaid. It was a JOKE!!!

Disclaimer: I do not serve Koolaid. I have never purchased Koolaid and do not endorse the giving of Koolaid to preschoolers, toddlers, infants, and especially not newborns.

You don't let your newborns drink Koolaid while watching Bravo TV?
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyChick View Post
Nan,

What I have been trying to express is the ones who have the same core philosophy other than the ones I mentioned as IRL friends don't have any connection to me anymore than they have a connection to you.

I disagree with your theory. It is human nature (for some) to be in awe of and/or show respect to people they feel are in a position of power. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Calling my theories and practices koolaid is a pretty loaded statement. I make my living off of that koolaid and I think I'm doing well with it. I don't write anything here that I don't believe in. I give my time to this site and I make part of my living off of consulting by serving up that koolaid. I also USE the practices in the care of children and their parents pay for it AND read this site.

I am NOT calling your theories and practices "Koolaid." That actually makes no sense anyway... I was referring to the cult leader who made his followers drink cyanide-laced Koolaid. It was a JOKE!!!

Disclaimer: I do not serve Koolaid. I have never purchased Koolaid and do not endorse the giving of Koolaid to preschoolers, toddlers, infants, and especially not newborns.

You don't let your newborns drink Koolaid while watching Bravo TV?
I got the Jim Jones Jonestown Ghana reference.

I guess I don't see the folks that agree with my practices as being that easily led. The truth is that it's a lot of hard work to net easy to care for children and parents that are respectful, pay on time, and do a good job parenting. It's not magical.... it's just work and learning the craft of the business.

I was thinking about this a lot the last few days because how you see this is pretty much the opposite of how I see it. I see a host of women who come here to ask for specific solutions to common child care issues and to learn the craft of child care.

I look at the board from the outside in and I see the different sections and see wherein the interest lies. Look at the view count on the entire curriculum section of the board. Then look at the view count JUST on this thread. This thread has surpassed the view count in the entire curriculum section just in a matter of a few days. The curriculum section has been up for quite a few months.

That says a lot.

If you look at the thread count in any REAL core child care issue you will find that a single thread will surpass that entire section in a matter of a few days. The sprinkler thread was a prime example of that.

What people come here for is only in small part to learn about DAP, educating kids, arts and crafts ideas etc. Those aspects of child care really don't garner much interest. How to manage nap time, toilet training, crying babies, disrespectful or badly behaved parents, contracts, policies, etc. ARE what people are coming for in droves.

So if I have drawn users it is because I, at the least, give them some possible solutions to the care of kids, the parents, and the business side of the business. I'm able to share my experience and they can take it, take part of it, or shun it completely. It's all here.. nearly five thousand posts... sitting in the archives of this board for ANYONE (not just current users) to take in and do with as they wish.

I didn't have the luxury of a daycare.com when I came up in this business. I have completely taught myself the care of children and the business. I did all the research on health and safety on my own....... thousands upon thousands of hours of research without anyone to guide me. I invested the TIME it took to read daycare message board archives from the day they started until present. I read daycare.com in full before I even signed on. That, my friend, is YEARS upon years of my time. I used child care boards like this to teach myself the business.

So I don't come to the table here with any other purpose than to share what I have taught myself. I don't proclaim to have any knowledge in areas like DAP or taxes. I don't participate on the curriculum section of this board. I don't do the venting section. I just stay within the areas I have had success with and offer up to the other readers what has worked for me and what I have learned in my research.

That's all. I have no other purpose here.

So if it the future, you see agreement from any other poster, you can know for sure that what they have received from me was what I stated above. They have no reason whatsoever to side with my practices other than to take the opportunity to voice their OWN opinion. That doesn't affect me in any way and they shouldn't be branded as mindless automotons following a Jim Jonesish child care provider whose opinion is weighted equally with their own.

Last edited by Michael; 04-01-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 PM
CheekyChick's Avatar
CheekyChick CheekyChick is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 811
Default

Nan,

I guess I don't see the folks that agree with my practices as being that easily led. The truth is that it's a lot of hard work to net easy to care for children and parents that are respectful, pay on time, and do a good job parenting. It's not magical.... it's just work and learning the craft of the business.

Again, I am CERTAIN that the majority (let’s say 99.5%) of posters who agree with you, do so because they agree with your practices and respect your input and suggestions. BUT, regardless if you see it or not, I feel that .5% of posters seem “fanatical” (for lack of a better word) and get extremely angry when someone disagrees with you. Those are the posters that make the boards un-fun.

I was thinking about this a lot the last few days because how you see this is pretty much the opposite of how I see it. I see a host of women who come here to ask for specific solutions to common child care issues and to learn the craft of child care.

No. We see it exactly the same.

If you look at the thread count in any REAL core child care issue you will find that a single thread will surpass that entire section in a matter of a few days. The sprinkler thread was a prime example of that.

I don’t think people were drawn to that thread because they actually wanted to know how many days per week other providers provide water play. I believe the thread count went up because there was a debate going on and it became entertaining.

What people come here for is only in small part to learn about DAP, educating kids, arts and crafts ideas etc. Those aspects of child care really don't garner much interest. How to manage nap time, toilet training, crying babies, disrespectful or badly behaved parents, contracts, policies, etc. ARE what people are coming for in droves.

I believe that to be true.

So if I have drawn users it is because I, at the least, give them some possible solutions to the care of kids, the parents, and the business side of the business. I'm able to share my experience and they can take it, take part of it, or shun it completely.

I agree.

So if it the future, you see agreement from any other poster, you can know for sure that what they have received from me was what I stated above. They have no reason whatsoever to side with my practices other than to take the opportunity to voice their OWN opinion. That doesn't affect me in any way and they shouldn't be branded as mindless automotons following a Jim Jonesish child care provider whoose opinion is weighted equally with their own.

See first response.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Michelle's Avatar
Michelle Michelle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,683
Default

wow, just wow!
I haven't been on in a while and I just wanted to say that I have been very blessed by all of you guys.
Every lady on here is special and loves their children.
Every provider has their own way of doing things and has helped a lot of new and experienced providers in a lot of ways.
This site is very valuable and I love it.
It makes me so sad to see very loving and intelligent professionals fighting like this.
Let's just agree to disagree and not waste time searching and reading old posts and "quoting" other people like we are in High School.

I am so looking forward to hearing about everyones Easter plans and reading about you guys building each other up and not tearing each other down.
Our jobs are hard enough as it is. Let's support each other.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Kaddidle Care's Avatar
Kaddidle Care Kaddidle Care is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,085
Default

What she said. Enough already!

I know this forum is different but in other forums it would be time to lock down this thread and let the argument continue via PM's.

I'm no longer reading these long posts. Blablabla! :P
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

I would like everyone to just know I started this thread because of another thread where some heavy debating was going on. I honestly didn't know if there were rules some where that I was unaware of. I still don't understand some of the features people are talking about-ghost, ignore, lock-out, etc.. I didn't know till awhile ago you could PM Micheal.

There is no way I intended for this to become a 3 page-over 100 posts thread. I thought I would just ask a question-Micheal would get back to me and that would be that.

I have belonged to a forum in the past that no one really says much anymore because of the debates, bullying, I'm better then you, type of posts. There where always "rules" for posting but it is moderated more now, I believe and no one feels comfortable really posting anymore because they are afraid of what will start. I know many people that left and its just not active anymore which is sad because it was a helpful, informational site.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
There where always "rules" for posting but it is moderated more now, I believe and no one feels comfortable really posting anymore because they are afraid of what will start. I know many people that left and its just not active anymore which is sad because it was a helpful, informational site.
Country,

As far as I know this is the biggest day care board on the internet. I've seen a couple that have bigger archives but I'm not aware of any board that is as active as this one. I don't know one that's even CLOSE. Am I missing sompin?

Lots of views per day and a lot of active users is a good thing. There's going to be coming and going for sure but on a whole this is the best child care board I've ever seen and I've been on quite a few boards.

When you say that there are many people that left and are not active anymore there's really no way to say it isn't so. I started here a couple of years ago and there are a lot of people still here from then. The retention rate here is better than any board I have been on including adoption boards.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Countrygal's Avatar
Countrygal Countrygal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think it allows a user to be present but not show up on the members list. There are some great How To instructions in the FAQ section: http://daycare.com/forum/faq.php?faq...b3_board_usage

I also allowed the Invisible option for registered members. It wasn't available before but is now.
We used to use this as admins and mods. It comes in handy sometimes if you just want to "watch" the board. Basically, you are on, but it shows that you are not.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:48 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Country,

When you say that there are many people that left and are not active anymore there's really no way to say it isn't so. I started here a couple of years ago and there are a lot of people still here from then. The retention rate here is better than any board I have been on including adoption boards.
Nan, I think she was talking about "another" board she was involved in.
There is never a loss of interested new members coming to this board. If there is a problem it would be that new members are moderated and want their comment immediately published. Some leave waiting to get into the conversation. We just can't have someone watching and reading the board here 24 hours a day although we try!

I am more engaged here than ever before. I am sure some would like this to be a female only board but you're stuck with me since I pay for all this and keep it running.

I actually learn allot about how people are using the internet in a virtual environment. We tend to say a lot more here to each other because it is impersonal. We have to develop different skills and interpretations.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Countrygal's Avatar
Countrygal Countrygal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 981
Default

I am sure some would like this to be a female only board

I, for one, really wish we had a few more males. I really value their take on things, especially when it comes to organizing, materials, space, etc. They think so much more practical and less with their emotions.

So grateful we ARE stuck with you!
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,044
Default

Speaking of men where is Dave and the other new guy from Pa. Are they still on board?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Speaking of men where is Dave and the other new guy from Pa. Are they still on board?
Not sure. We had another long time member on here called Chicken Hauler that was a hoot but he got into a back and forth with another member and decided to leave.

I believe he is the husband of one of our members that is still active on the board. Maybe she could speak up and get him back "on board". He was very witty and to the point.

Last edited by Michael; 04-01-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,806
Default

To the member that posted here. You are correct and I removed your name. I also removed your comment in response to my action.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

Ya, I miss Chicken Hauler. He was funny and down to earth. I didn't know that he was married to an active member. I imagine that he is a hoot to live with!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
etiquette, forum questions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Many Forum Members Does It Take... QualiTcare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 65 12-13-2013 09:03 AM
House Rules...How Does This Sound? frugalmama4 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-12-2012 06:58 PM
Rules of Forum Countrygal Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 05-06-2012 08:07 PM
Rules alyssyn Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 01-12-2011 09:16 PM
What Are Your Rules originalkat Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 08-07-2010 07:25 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming