Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me With A Backbone
Nickel 10:46 AM 09-09-2012
So I have one family right now. And I didn't have them sign a contact I know, I know. awful! I could make up an excuse, but I won't. I also accidentally agreed to mom not paying when she wasn't here because she's a student. I meant that the weekly rate would be the same whether she was here or not, but I would not charge her during school breaks, i.e. between semesters, spring break, summer.

In the mean time, I told them I need payment prior to services. She started and told me she would pay me that Friday and pay for this week, next week, and the following week.

That Friday she paid me for that week. She still owes me for last week and this week coming and this Friday she should be paying me for the following two weeks. So, I want to tell her Monday morning if she doesn't show up with my payment that if she doesn't pay me by Wed morning that I will charge her a $15 late fee. and if she doesn't pay me all the money she owes me plus the new tuition that I can't watch her daughter any more. She is my only family right now. (I have a 2mnth old that is suppose to start this week, but I no longer count my chickens before they hatch). I hate to lose her but at the same time i can't work for free. So I want to give her my contract and tell her she has until October 1st to bring it back signed or I will terminate care. And she has until Friday to pay me basically a months worth of tuition. I will still allow her to only pay for the days she is here until January 1st. That gives her an entire semester at the lower rate.

On top of that, I agreed to her paying a reduced rate which I am kicking myself for. It wasn't so bad when it was a weekly rate but now it's a daily, dad is taking her this day, Class was canceled that day and I'm making peanuts per week... sigh..

So, tell me I'm doing the right thing. And tell me it won't be the end of the world if I lose her... They are a great family, but I can't even buy items for the daycare because I'm not getting paid!!!!
cheerfuldom 12:03 PM 09-09-2012
at this point, you are not even really a daycare provider for them....you are a drop in babysitter that is not getting paid in advanced....you have created a really bad situation for yourself. There is no other option but to start running your business like a daycare and if they dont like it, then you arent the right provider for them. I would first of all get the payment up to date asap and then spring the contract on them. The first thing you need to do is at least get caught up on payments!
Nickel 12:18 PM 09-09-2012
Yes, you are right. I am the babysitter. The total opposite of what I wanted to be. but I guess I was afraid to give them the contract! At this point, though it's getting ridiculous! I worked a whole week for free basically!

I've HAD it! But at the same time, I am having the HARDEST time getting families. Last week i had a lady who asked me to watch her two children ages 6mnth and 2 yrs from 8-4 5 days a week for 100/week for BOTH!!! Ummm, NOOOOOOOOO..... So it's hard to lose someone but at the same time, I don't want to be taken advantage of! gtrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you for the response. I will talk to mom tomorrow morning and let her know about the payment issue. Then on Friday I will hand her the contract! lol I just get so nervous and sick to my stomach when trying to talk to parents about that stuff!!!!
providerandmomof4 01:05 PM 09-09-2012
I know how you feel because I have been in your situation, but I can tell you from experience...people can tell when your desperate...or at least I think they could tell when I was desperate. When I first started, I felt like I was being too pushy with parents by telling them all the things that I required, so I would let some things slide...and let me tell you, I regretted it...parents walked all over me and the sad thing is I was letting them by not telling them my wills and won'ts (I was really trying to work with them to keep them.) Now I feel like I choose whom I will take and won't take based on schedule, interview, etc. I tell them all of my expectations up front and I don't have the problems with parents that I used to. Sometimes I still feel desperate when I lose a child or two and need to fill their spots and the calls just aren't coming, but the difference is...I am in control. I feel that I have a great daycare and not only am I entitled to payment in advance, but I have control over my own business, and people sense this and respect professionalism. If they don't, then I don't want their business anyway...
Nickel 01:29 PM 09-09-2012
Thank you for understanding. I need to take control of my business and do what is best for me and my family. It is very hard to do. I sort of feel like being a #$%%$ anymore because it's so time consuming to prep for an interview for the person to never call back. I feel terrible because my daughter meets all these new "friends" and then never sees them again. My last two interviews I felt went really well, but then they never called back. I just wish I knew what I was doign wrong.

But I'm getting off track. I am no longer going to be desperate. you are right. I think they can tell! lol...
momma2girls 08:17 AM 09-10-2012
I gave breaks when I first started daycare. I gave breaks and I only had a 1 pg. contract. Needless to say in 9 yrs. I have stopped giving breaks, shortened my hrs., changed my contract about 30 times to include everything that I could possibly think of!!! After yrs. and yrs. of providing care, you do grow a backbone and a big one at that!!!
Nickel 10:12 AM 09-10-2012
I can definitely see why anyone chooses not to give breaks anymore! I ask mom for tuition this morning and she forgot again. But she called dcd and he came during his lunch break and dropped it off and I don't have dcg on Fri but he is still going to come drop off payment on his day off! Thank goodness. I think I'm going to give him my contract when he comes and give them until Oct to sign it. I've given everyone else the contract, just not them!

Thank you all. I guess I will grow my backbone slowly but surely! LOL
Tags:backbone
Reply Up