Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Daycare.com Member

Smile Most Important Lessons You've Learned Here?

Obviously I'm new here and, like most newbies, I've been learning a ton. And laughing a ton! You guys are great.

I was thinking of just how valuable this resource is, and wanted to share my top 3 most important things I've learned so far. These are the things that I really, truly, honestly believe are going to help me become the best dcp EVER!

1. Make the dcf's PREPAY for everything! (the obvious benefit here is that it will help establish a good relationship and hopefully protect my reputation in case deadbeats want to try to ruin it! )

2. Protect my family and my dck's at all costs (see my thread about DCM bringing a felon to my home lol ugh) http://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35836

3. Don't underestimate my worth -- price myself according to what I KNOW I deserve, regardless of what ABC Daycare down the street charges. (this one is SO HARD! I don't know why, but it is!)

Of course there are a dozen more lessons I've learned and more I hope to learn. Again, you guys are awesome so THANK YOU!

So does anyone else have things they've learned here that they are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY sure have made them a better dcp?? I'd sure love to hear your "top threes".

Last edited by Michael; 10-20-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:50 PM

I have learned

1) Pre-payment is the ONLY way to go.
2) Daycare is a very "broad" occupation.
3) Some people have no sense of humor/others are why I stick around.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

*Always have them pre-pay
*ALWAYS have a thorough contract, always go over the contract with them (don't just give it to them to read and sign)
*Your parents are not your bosses and you are not their employee. You provide them a valuable service.
*Develop your backbone!

Most importantly, I've learned that no matter what happens, I'm not alone. Someone here has experienced what I'm going through, someone will have advice, and I have a great place to vent.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have learned

That #3 one made me lol. I guess I've got a twisted sense of humor?

*snickers*

Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
Most importantly, I've learned that no matter what happens, I'm not alone. Someone here has experienced what I'm going through, someone will have advice, and I have a great place to vent.
OK, that's my new #1! You are so right and I hope Michael is an immortal or at least outlives me and this career so this place stays functioning!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

1# ENFORCE ALL rules from day 1, never leave room for negotiation, there may be no turning back

2# leave my emotions out of it, this is a business and I need to conduct it that way

3# NOT all DCP are created equal, treat them this way. Those that have burned you get no favors or trust and those that give back are the ones you go the extra mile for when needed…..

#4 there’s only so much we can do. While our heart is always in the right place, there really is not too much that we can do for these kids but give them a safe, loving, healthy environment each and every day they are with us. No matter how many times you tell mommy that Johnny is behind, they don’t want to hear it….

5# don’t give you a headache you can’t save them all and know when it’s time to let go!!

6# NO special discounts, no sibling discounts, OK NO DISCOUNTS…..lol

7# ok I learned this the hard way, but someone on here said it this way, DON’T cra@ where you eat!

8# you cant make every person happy and when you don't, don't beat yourself up over it!

I can keep going, I have learned a lot……lol
Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM

I am never alone
Don't take anything too seriously
There are many " right " ways.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

1) Daycare is a business relationship not a friendship.
2) Dont take it personal
3) Do whats best for you and your family first ALWAYS.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM

In addition to what others have said I would say

Never negotiate my rates instead just reply that is the rate for the services you are requeasting.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 PM

1. Go with your gut. If there are red flags, they are there for a reason.

2. Don't be afraid to say no. You put rules in your policy for a reason. Stick with them.

3. You can't be everything to everybody. Do what you're comfortable doing or else you will burn out quickly.

4. Baby wipes are your friend!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:07 AM

The biggest thing I've learned from this forum is that I have a fantastic group of clients and kids. I read about the issues others have with disrespectful, rude and poorly behaved children and parents and I realize how fortunate I am to have clients who appreciate me, value the service I provide and respect me, my home and my business.

If I get frustrated with something business related, I come here and read for awhile. It helps put my situation into perspective and I'm able to find a good solution.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 AM

Some of the best advice I've gotten from this forum come from two members who are (from what I perceive) polar opposites.

I've been able to change my whole outlook on this profession, how I deal with the children & parents, grow a backbone, build a better business, and my program as a whole. All for the better.

So, the two greatest things I've gotten from this forum are...

*To see the value in everyone's post, even when I don't agree.

*To take the info I want/need, and respectfully leave the rest.

Thank You ladies, and Michael, for always being here.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM

#1) NEVER work with a family member or friend (in this business, it is nothing but hard times, and if you are working with family/friends, no special treatment). And by work with I mean either allow them to enroll, OR, hire them as help.

#2) If you need help, don't be afraid to ask

#3) Get that backbone. These ladies here helped me get my backbone, although I haven't really needed it, it sure helps with the confidence and you know what??? Since I got my backbone, it's much easier to get clients. When they give you a chance for an interview I mean.

I'm adding a fourth....

#4) Remember your interview is not them screening you so much as it's you screening them. NEVER EVER just agree to let them come over and meet you and sign up (unless you really love them). Let them know you will have a decision by the end of the week.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM

Once you think you have it all down....they change the rules.

Be adaptable and never stop learning.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Once you think you have it all down....they change the rules.

Be adaptable and never stop learning.
this is true. Catherder's always right

I don't mind helping people out, but the moment they disrespect me in anyway, including making me get out of bed when i could've slept in, they lose my respect for them, and I won't help them out.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Dont lose any children
Acts 13:22
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 AM

No matter how much experience you have, you can always learn something new from others.

I've been blessed with great families and kids - making my job a whole lot easier.

Never be too quick to judge someone - stick around, read their many posts and realize that everyone here (with the exception of trolls, obviously) is coming from a place of concern and caring.

In the end, I can't remember how I stumbled across this board, but I'm glad I did .
Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne View Post
The biggest thing I've learned from this forum is that I have a fantastic group of clients and kids. I read about the issues others have with disrespectful, rude and poorly behaved children and parents and I realize how fortunate I am to have clients who appreciate me, value the service I provide and respect me, my home and my business.

If I get frustrated with something business related, I come here and read for awhile. It helps put my situation into perspective and I'm able to find a good solution.
Same here
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEHmom View Post
Catherder's always right
I printed that for my husband...he rolled his eyes.

I love you for saying that!! I just wish it was true....

I really only know what has and has not worked for me.

I learn new things and re-consider things based on what others say here almost daily.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by melskids View Post

*To see the value in everyone's post, even when I don't agree.

*To take the info I want/need, and respectfully leave the rest.

Thank You ladies, and Michael, for always being here.
That's really nice to hear from all of you. Thanks! A lot goes into keeping the servers going and the cost of the software and traffic load. Time is also important and the help of all the other mods makes it a lot easier. Actually, all of you have created what is contained in here. I am glad that there is now the technology available to offer so much to so many.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That's really nice to hear from all of you. Thanks! A lot goes into keeping the servers going and the cost of the software and traffic load. Time is also important and the help of all the other mods makes it a lot easier. Actually, all of you have created what is contained in here. I am glad that there is now the technology available to offer so much to so many.
Do you have a method or means of taking donations for financial support to always keep the forum up and running? If we could donate $5 or $10 for simply being able to utilize this wealth of info, friendship, support and comic relief, I would pitch in without hesitation....
Old 10-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Do you have a method or means of taking donations for financial support to always keep the forum up and running? If we could donate $5 or $10 for simply being able to utilize this wealth of info, friendship, support and comic relief, I would pitch in without hesitation....
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok thats enough letters to let me post now...

Last edited by Michael; 10-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Quote:
No thank you. Really, I appreciate it but its not needed. The main www.Daycare.com site has advertisers and paid listings in our registry.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dEHmom View Post
this is true. Catherder's always right
Yes this is my most important lesson on daycare.com
Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Yes this is my most important lesson on daycare.com
I had to come back and tell you my DD saw this and said she was going to be physically ill.

I did not even know the kid was reading in here.... I thought she was printing her english paper in the playroom.

I was getting out winter gear from the attic..ugh...yuck. I dread that chore all summer.... How does it even get that smell??? I wash it before I pack it up...

Fun thread, though!!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:00 AM

Get a deposit from those who want to enroll in advance, especially for infants.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Celebrating Daily!

Clients must prepay.

A monthly fee is the best way to hold for an infant because it gives you more contact with the parents.

Talking to others helps lessen the stress.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

all the safety threads like positional asphyxia, keeping doors locked, cameras,also the nutrition info, and sharing great places to visit with Sharlan!!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Blossoms Blooming

I wouldn't exactly call them "lessons", but I have learned there are 3 KEY issues. Of course, the forum helped me see my big issues are everyone's big issues.
1. Dealing with behavioral issues.
2. Dealing with parents and policy issues.
3. Operational, environmental and financial management issues.

Last edited by Michael; 12-05-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have learned that while I still think I am overworked and taken advantage of by my parents, I let it happen by needing the work so much that I was afraid to make rules. Of my 3 parents, only one pays me in advance. I had no idea it could be done.

I learned that I need to explore more insurance options.

I learned that the things I though were so bad or irritating are nothing compared to some of the stories I've been reading!! I have a screamer that hates other children. I was trying to figure out how to drop her because she's so horrible, but now she doesn't seem so horrible. She only cries 7 out of the 12.5 hours, but she does eat and sleep, and when the other kids are gone, she smiles and laughs. I'm learning some new techniques to calm her--one of them worked!!!

I have learned that I am way more informal than most, but it seems to work for my parents, and since we are all happy, I guess it's good.

I've learned that I should have looked for this forum months ago!! You guys are great!!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM
janealb

Quote:
I have learned

I love the third one. It's how I'd start my list

Tags
forum questions, ideas, what i've learned on this forum