Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Have Contracted Drop Off Times?
VioletCupcake 08:01 AM 12-14-2011
I have a few families who drop their children off anywhere from 7:55-9:10 depending on how they are feeling for the day. They will go for three days of dropping off at 8:45 then the next day they are banging at my door at 7:55. Then I have two other families that drop there kids off anywhere from 9:20-10:15. I feel like all I do all morning is wait for kids to arrive. Each family has a "normal" drop off time, but lately no one is really sticking to this time. Parents often say traffic was bad or they had a rough morning. I also try and have families text me when they are on their way Or if they are dropping off at a different time, but sometimes they forget.

It's difficult to stay consistantly on a schedule because of all the drop off times and how much each one varies. I have only had my center for about 7 months and I am still working various things out. I like that everyone can drop off when they need to as I have a few families who only come in my direction because of work and I feel bad making them drive over here at a certain time.

I have been reading different threads on this topic, and have just realized that some providers contract drop off times. I am wondering how this works? It's hard for me to think about inforcing a late fee for drop off. Just wondering how parents have responded to this? What do you do if someone is held up by traffic? And what do you do if the parents work schedule changes and some mornings they need to drop off at different times?

Thanks!!!
cheerfuldom 09:06 AM 12-14-2011
Parents have to commit to a consistent drop off time. any changes need to run by me. I would go crazy with a 2 hour drop off window.
AnneCordelia 09:16 AM 12-14-2011
My parents have contracted drop offs.

It's easy for me because we leave the house at 8am to take the big kids to school...if they aren't here by then they don't have care for the day. I leave and we often visit the park on our way home, or the Early Years Drop in Center, or the library toddler hour.

My families know that if they are late, they are responsible for their children. They know when I leave, so they know that they need to consider the weather/road closures.

All my children arrive between 7:15-7:45 and that really works for us.
youretooloud 09:18 AM 12-14-2011
I don't do contracted drop off times. My kids all come somewhere between 7:00-8:45, we aren't going anywhere, and it doesn't upset my schedule, we just move on without them.

I am not organized enough to enforce any rules like that. I don't need or like strict schedules, (Which could explain the messiness of my house) and We just go with the flow.
wdmmom 09:59 AM 12-14-2011
I sleep! I don't want to get up 15 minutes earlier than I have to. I would never work for a parent that has a variable arrival time. Make it one or the other. I may be a business but I run a program and I have things to do.

I had a family like this. Drop off was suppose to be 10am. DCK was coming anywhere from 10am to 12pm. I purposely made it a point to leave right at 10am one morning to go for our walk. DCD called and asked if I was closed. I said, "No, DCK wasn't here when he needed to be and I told you of our plans for a field trip. We won't be back until 1130pm. You'll have to wait until then to drop him off."

That's all it took. They changed their arrival time to 11am and have been pretty consistant ever since!
Tags:drop off policy, drop off time
Reply Up