Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Nature Lover

Default Food Program Inspections on the Fourth?

Our inspector is calling people in our area trying to find out who is open on the Fourth so they can do inspections? I have never had anyone call me on a holiday for an inspection! Does anyone know if this is a new thing or what. I figured since they were a Federal Program they would also be closed. I was totally shocked-.

I think it will be hard for them to find people open. I'm wondering if they would really come like on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, Labor Day. I still can't believe they are working on the 4th!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

Our program sponsor does not come on holidays. They are closed. Plus aren't the food program visits supposed to be largely unannounced?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Nature Lover

No, not necessarily. They actually are calling because they do not want to waste the time coming to providers homes if they aren't open, which makes sense. I guess the offices are closed but they can still do inspections which I had never heard of.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalkat View Post
Our program sponsor does not come on holidays. They are closed. Plus aren't the food program visits supposed to be largely unannounced?
Ours does 1 unannounced and 2 announced per year.

I think it's crazy that they would be open on the the 4th!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

It is fraud stuff some providers claim they are open on holidays. So those people they have to inspect on a holiday to make sure they really are open and have children in attendance.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
It is fraud stuff some providers claim they are open on holidays. So those people they have to inspect on a holiday to make sure they really are open and have children in attendance.
That would make sense.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Nature Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
Thats the thing though-the parents actually have to sign a sheet that the child was in care and then it has to be sent into the food program. I can't believe providers would be able to get that many parents to commit fraud with signing a sheet like this.

Also, they would have to sign in on the sign in/out sheets also. It seems it would get very confusing and easy to trip up on.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

My food program asks us what holidays we are open (I close all major holidays). If a provider states she will be open on a holiday and will be claiming children...then she must understand that she could get inspected, just like any other day. It leaves it wide open for fraud otherwise.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

an agency like that, I would think they were off for the week!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Nature Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
My food program asks us what holidays we are open (I close all major holidays). If a provider states she will be open on a holiday and will be claiming children...then she must understand that she could get inspected, just like any other day. It leaves it wide open for fraud otherwise.

See thats the thing though because I called and doubled checked-they only have me being open one holiday-Columbus Day-so why call and see if I'm open on the fourth? It states I'm closed for everything else.

I can't imagine that many parents would actually sign the holiday food program sheet if their child really wasn't in care.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

unfortunately it does happen. I bet they have some providers open for holidays and on the audit they could not show they had inspected anyone on a holiday so they are searching for someone that will be open to comply with the audit.... I bet the office is closed it is the rep who will have to mess up her holiday.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:06 PM

Crazy. I bet people claim days they are off but really who wants to work as a food program rep and go out and check on these people on a Holiday?

We are supposed to go online and notify the fp in advance of being off, including holidays.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Our inspector is calling people in our area trying to find out who is open on the Fourth so they can do inspections? I have never had anyone call me on a holiday for an inspection! Does anyone know if this is a new thing or what. I figured since they were a Federal Program they would also be closed. I was totally shocked-.

I think it will be hard for them to find people open. I'm wondering if they would really come like on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, Labor Day. I still can't believe they are working on the 4th!
Mine called today too and asked if I had kids tomorrow. She's rushing to squeeze in the final visit for the year. We get 2 announced and 2 unannounced each year.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Thats the thing though-the parents actually have to sign a sheet that the child was in care and then it has to be sent into the food program. I can't believe providers would be able to get that many parents to commit fraud with signing a sheet like this.
Simple- people don't read what they sign. I can't even begin to tell you how many times over the years I would hand a parent a piece of paper and they would sign it without looking at it.