Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Measles!
mskaykay 12:44 PM 08-27-2014
Today I had a parent call me whose child's last day was last Friday. She needed to give me a written notice for her child and asked if she could email it. When I said that was fine she informed me that her whole family was quarentined because her baby (who was not a student here) had the measles! I asked if she was sure and she said the blood work should confirm today and then they would let the CDC know. Why on earth wasn't this the first thing she told me! I have never experienced a case of measles so here is my question: The dcb4 was here during the incubation time plus mom brought the baby into the center whenever she picked up dcb. What is the likelihood I am going to have an epidemic on my hands?
Thriftylady 12:56 PM 08-27-2014
If they have all had their shots I would say unlikely, but you could call your health department and ask. Licensing will likely be coming to see you to get your attendance records and such so they can keep tabs on it. They did in Kansas when I had one who apparently went to the doctor and was diagnosed with salmonella and parents NEVER said a word to me, and it spreads easy among little ones.
preschoolteacher 12:57 PM 08-27-2014
I'd say that it's possible. You can get measles just by being in the same room as someone else who has it. They don't have to share saliva or anything. And the older brother, who was vaccinated, could carry it to non-vaccinated children.

I'd send a note home to all of your families explaining that the younger sibling of a DCK had measles (no one at your daycare), and let them know signs to look out for.
itlw8 12:57 PM 08-27-2014
depends on how many children and adults are not vaccinated. GEt out the records and start looking make sure everyone has their MMR if not Those families will want to know to look for symptoms. Any pregnant adults can have their blood tested to make sure they are still immune. not sure what they can do while pregnant if it is not usually they wait until after baby and give a booster if needed.
mskaykay 01:02 PM 08-27-2014
Do I wait till it is confirmed by the blood work later today or just go ahead and put out the warning. I am in a center with 120 kids and have at least three pregnant mom. Or should I just let the pregnant moms know now and wait for it to be confirmed to tell everyone else. The sibling was in the preschool and I only have one child in there who immunization exempt but I have an infant room with 8 children who are too young for the MMR (including my daughter).
Thriftylady 01:13 PM 08-27-2014
I would call the CDC or health department and ask how to handle this. They probably have guidelines and with that many in your center, you want to get this right. I would also be asking for results of that test as soon as they come.
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by mskaykay:
Do I wait till it is confirmed by the blood work later today or just go ahead and put out the warning. I am in a center with 120 kids and have at least three pregnant mom. Or should I just let the pregnant moms know now and wait for it to be confirmed to tell everyone else. The sibling was in the preschool and I only have one child in there who immunization exempt but I have an infant room with 8 children who are too young for the MMR (including my daughter).
Personally, I'd wait for confirmation.

No need to worry anyone unless there is actually something to worry about.
AmyKidsCo 01:17 PM 08-27-2014
Oh no! I hope it fizzles out into nothing. ITA with Blackcat - don't freak out until you know for sure.
mskaykay 04:51 PM 08-27-2014
Thank you everyone.... I think I am going to wait till I hear from mom. I am going to call her in a few minutes they should have the results by now. Fingers Crossed
Reply Up