Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One Child
Unregistered 07:19 AM 03-26-2020
Just found out this morning I'll only have one kid in attendance tomorrow. Would you stay open for one kid? What would you tell the parent if you decided not to stay open for one kid?

The kid is 5 and can't play alone at all. The parents intertain him constantly. So it would be a hard day for the child and I.

Thanks for your help.
Cat Herder 07:22 AM 03-26-2020
I dread when it happens, but I always stay open. My clients pay in advance for the week with the expectation of being able to attend barring an emergency. It is fulfilling my contract IMO.

I do know many providers have wording in their contracts that make it easier for them to close for low numbers.
Ms.Kay 07:22 AM 03-26-2020
Im in the same boat...mine is 7mo!! They've agreed to pay 50% and are coming back. Theyll pay in full if he comes....and they live across the street.....mom and dad are both working from home....
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 03-26-2020
I had an odd week had only 4/12 kids.
Will only have 3/12 tomorrow.
I stayed open although it was incredibly boring..lol!
I got a lot of paperwork and organizing/cleaning done so it was a good thing over all.
So far I am being paid in full for all 12 kids so I used that as justification for being here.
Annalee 08:08 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I had an odd week had only 4/12 kids.
Will only have 3/12 tomorrow.
I stayed open although it was incredibly boring..lol!
I got a lot of paperwork and organizing/cleaning done so it was a good thing over all.
So far I am being paid in full for all 12 kids so I used that as justification for being here.
same here! This morning we went outside to pick up sticks on the playground....two wouldn't do it and the other two said their legs hurt so I told them they needed to sit at the picnic table and rest during playtime
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
same here! This morning we went outside to pick up sticks on the playground....two wouldn't do it and the other two said their legs hurt so I told them they needed to sit at the picnic table and rest during playtime
Oh, my legs always hurt when someone wants me to work too!

Little buggars are good at getting out of work at such a young age!
e.j. 08:33 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I dread when it happens, but I always stay open. My clients pay in advance for the week with the expectation of being able to attend barring an emergency. It is fulfilling my contract IMO.
This is how I feel, too. I had one 3yo last week whose parents needed to work. I thought it'd be a very long week and wasn't really looking forward to it but the days actually went by pretty quickly. We played games that I usually don't bring out when everyone is here. He was missing his friends toward the end of the week so I had him decorate cards to send to the other kids who were home with their parents. He had a great time making them and the other kids got a little surprise in the mail. It might not be as bad as you think if you decide to stay open for your one.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, my legs always hurt when someone wants me to work too!

Little buggars are good at getting out of work at such a young age!
My dc kids suddenly have to go to the bathroom as soon as I ask them to pick up.
Annalee 08:50 AM 03-26-2020
I feel another plus to some child care businesses charging is "knowing"if they leave or give notice, certain providers are NOT taking them back. A lady I'm mentoring has had clients to pull out but they know she will take them back. I don't generally work that way. Many of my clients may not like how I "run" the business side but they don't really wanna lose their spot either. ??
Sunshine69 08:56 AM 03-26-2020
It depends on your contract with the parent(s).

I have full time kids whose parents pay for the week and I’d open if I only had one of them.

I also have a drop-in child whose parent only pays on the days they attend. It is not the same day every week and I do not guarantee a spot on any day for that kind of arrangement. I don’t get much notice when this child is going to attend, sometimes the night before or the day of and I don’t usually know what time to expect the child. I can fill this child’s spot with a full time spot or a drop-in that’s given me more notice at any time. When all the other kids are out, I don’t open just for that child.
e.j. 10:48 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
It depends on your contract with the parent(s).

I have full time kids whose parents pay for the week and I’d open if I only had one of them.

I also have a drop-in child whose parent only pays on the days they attend. It is not the same day every week and I do not guarantee a spot on any day for that kind of arrangement. I don’t get much notice when this child is going to attend, sometimes the night before or the day of and I don’t usually know what time to expect the child. I can fill this child’s spot with a full time spot or a drop-in that’s given me more notice at any time. When all the other kids are out, I don’t open just for that child.
That's a really good point. I wouldn't open for one drop-in child either unless I needed the money. I also wouldn't be charging for the either, though.
Annalee 10:53 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
That's a really good point. I wouldn't open for one drop-in child either unless I needed the money. I also wouldn't be charging for the either, though.
I know I may sound harsh but after losing two weeks of Income that deeply affected my family during the no electricity ice storm closings of 93 and the closings during the tornadoes of 98, by 2000 I learned I needed to protect myself. Just my opinions
e.j. 11:12 AM 03-26-2020
I know I may sound harsh but after losing two weeks of Income that deeply affected my family during the no electricity ice storm closings of 93 and the closings during the tornadoes of 98, by 2000 I learned I needed to protect myself. Just my opinions ��
Not harsh at all. When I reply as I did, I'm just stating what I'm doing. I'm truly not making any judgement about what other providers are doing in terms of payment.

I'm struggling with the financial aspect of this, too, so I totally understand where everyone who has chosen to ask for payment is coming from. We had our own ice storm awhile ago during which I was closed for over a week with no pay. That hurt but nothing like this current situation is going to! This past July, the company my husband worked for for over 40 years restructured and closed the part of the business that operated in this area so he lost his job. (He's working again now and we had started to feel as though we were recovering financially but he's also last man in. If they have lay offs at the new company, he'll probably be one of the first workers cut.) Now I'm out of work until at least May 4. My dd has been fighting Lyme Disease for the past 13 years and with it came some pretty major bills that we're still paying for while we were trying to get a diagnosis.....I get it!

I'm struggling with the question of fairness - to my dc families and to my own family. I will probably review my handbook and make a change to payment policy in this kind of situation for the future. I just don't feel right about changing it now that my current policy doesn't work in my favor. Again, I'm not judging those who are; just saying it doesn't feel right for me.
Annalee 11:16 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Not harsh at all. When I reply as I did, I'm just stating what I'm doing. I'm truly not making any judgement about what other providers are doing in terms of payment.

I'm struggling with the financial aspect of this, too, so I totally understand where everyone who has chosen to ask for payment is coming from. We had our own ice storm awhile ago during which I was closed for over a week with no pay. This past July, the company my husband worked for for over 40 years restructured and closed the part of the business that operated in this area so he lost his job. (He's working again now and we had started to feel as though we were recovering financially but he's also last man in. If they have lay offs at the new company, he'll probably be one of the first workers cut.) Now I'm out of work until at least May 4. My dd has been fighting Lyme Disease for the past 13 years and with it came some pretty major bills that we're still paying for while we were trying to get a diagnosis.....I get it!

I'm struggling with the question of fairness - to my dc families and to my own family. I will probably review my handbook and make a change to payment policy in this kind of situation for the future. I just don't feel right about changing it now that my current policy doesn't work in my favor. Again, I'm not judging those who are; just saying it doesn't feel right for me.

When I look at the overall picture, the electric companies and cell phone companies are allowing no one to be disconnected but even they will gradually want payment for the "behind" bills. Daycare should be no different.

So far I am open, but my parents know where I stand if I close. I'm known as the daycare where you pay no matter what and the adamant contract daycare person

But I feel I've worked 27+ years to get to this point
e.j. 11:22 AM 03-26-2020
But I feel I've worked 27+ years to get to this point
You've certainly earned it!
e.j. 11:34 AM 03-26-2020
Was just thinking.....they're now saying that even if we stop this outbreak, there will most likely be another one because it appears this virus is cyclical. I think reviewing my payment policies and updating them may be a very good thing to do - sooner than later!
Tags:one child alone
Reply Up