Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Day Care Insurance?
themoorethemerrier 07:15 PM 10-13-2011
I was recommended to get dc insurance. So, I'm looking into it. Here are my (some semi-related) questions!

Do you have any? Ever known anyone that was caught up in a situation that did or should have had it?

(If you don't mind...) what's the monthly premium?

I see on the insurers website that excludes coverage on our dog if we don't keep her separate, which I understand because I've heard the horror stories. What do you do with your pets during dk?
KBCsMommy 07:36 PM 10-13-2011
My dc insurance doesnt limit where the dog has to be, they just dont want certain breeds to be in the household. We have an english mastiff, she stays in the house but I have baby gates up to seperate living and daycare areas.
Shes great with the kids but she always licks them if they get to close!!
dave4him 11:45 PM 10-13-2011
I still need to look into getting some insurance but am curious as well. Our current home owners insurance company who does our cars as well seemed to get nervous when i asked about having a daycare in the home and didnt give me any rates.... we got into a car accident Sunday and i have heard more from Farmers which is the other party who was at fault, then i have my own company. Im thinking of switching to Farmers and seeing how much it would cost with them. If i get a whole lot more kids and more equipment then i might need to get the insurance.
beachgrl 04:34 AM 10-14-2011
I haven't hadvthe extra $ to get mine yet butbi want to have it just in case, it wasn't too bad price wise around $200 year I think but we have to pay it all at once w the companybthat does our homeowners, not sure what others get ratewise from other ins co
permanentvacation 10:08 AM 10-14-2011
You can try www.afds.com for insurance.

If you are doing daycare out of your home, many homeowners insurance policies offer a rider for home daycare.
Sprouts 12:09 AM 10-15-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
You can try www.afds.com for insurance.

If you are doing daycare out of your home, many homeowners insurance policies offer a rider for home daycare.
Do you use this insurance? I just signed up for a qoute
themoorethemerrier 05:14 AM 10-15-2011
I finally got a quote from afds, but I need to call in because I accidentally changed that I would have up to 16 kids without a license. I'm surprised that they didn't deny me since they should be aware of NYS laws.

I'm going to check with my homeowner's insurance, but I have a feeling that they won't have it.
melskids 05:32 AM 10-15-2011
i use marshall & sterling for my daycare insurance. they have policies specifically for daycares. i cant' remember off the top of my head if its through travelers or progressive, i just woke up....lol they are located in Leeds, NY., i dont remember the phone number either....lol i can go dig out my poilcy and get back to you after ive had my coffee....lol

a friend of mine who is also a provider gets hers right through her homeowners.
themoorethemerrier 06:01 AM 10-15-2011
Good to know - I have Travelers, so I'm going to check with them. Last summer we started toting poultry and produce to the farmer's market, and they didn't even know where to find that kind of insurance. I would love to just tack it onto my homeowners.

My only thought is will it cover lawsuits over maltreatment or abuse accusations? I heard that that is the #1 reasons for providers to be taken to court. Since my hubs will be my assistant, and like it or not, men are more likely to be targets for abuse accusations, I'd like to make sure we're protected.
sahm1225 09:51 AM 10-15-2011
I use west bend insurance and they are wonderful!

I use to have it with my homeowners and it was only $80/year and it covered up to 4 kids (plus my 2 kids). This one is about $600/year, covers up to 16 kids. I also added:
- extra insurance because i have a dog and a cat
- extra property insurance
- increased some of the coverages
- added field trip coverage
and I cant remember what else, but I basically said yes to just about all the add ons. I figured if I ever have a claim that I will be covered so the extra costs was worth it.

We recently had a massive rain storm (it actually made records with a large amount of rain fall in a small amount of time) and we got water damage in our daycare area. My homeowners insurance would not cover it (stating that we don't have flood insurance BUT we are not allowed to purchase it because we are not in a flood area!), so I called West Bend. They were wonderful! We run the daycare out of the lower level and we had a lot of damaged toys and big items (bookshelves, books, kids chairs, high chairs/booster chairs, etc.) and they covered the claim with no issues. Even called me back to follow up and make sure it was sufficient to replace all of the damaged items!!
gelbesonn 07:37 PM 10-15-2011
I haven't taken the time to switch, but a few providers in my area network use this insurance: Adults and Children's Alliance- (http://www.acainc.org/)
It is specifically for providers. The premium varies with how much coverage you want and the amt of children you have.
Meeko 11:44 AM 10-17-2011
Separate insurance is often better. Years ago, I called my home owners insurance for a quote and they cancelled my policy on the spot. We had to scramble to get new home owners insurance. Day care is considered a high liability.
jolson 12:44 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I use west bend insurance and they are wonderful!

I use to have it with my homeowners and it was only $80/year and it covered up to 4 kids (plus my 2 kids). This one is about $600/year, covers up to 16 kids. I also added:
- extra insurance because i have a dog and a cat
- extra property insurance
- increased some of the coverages
- added field trip coverage
and I cant remember what else, but I basically said yes to just about all the add ons. I figured if I ever have a claim that I will be covered so the extra costs was worth it.

We recently had a massive rain storm (it actually made records with a large amount of rain fall in a small amount of time) and we got water damage in our daycare area. My homeowners insurance would not cover it (stating that we don't have flood insurance BUT we are not allowed to purchase it because we are not in a flood area!), so I called West Bend. They were wonderful! We run the daycare out of the lower level and we had a lot of damaged toys and big items (bookshelves, books, kids chairs, high chairs/booster chairs, etc.) and they covered the claim with no issues. Even called me back to follow up and make sure it was sufficient to replace all of the damaged items!!
West Bend/NSI is outstanding. I am an independent insurance agent in MN and West Bend is my company of choice when it comes to Childcare Insurance. They do business in the following states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

If anyone is looking for assistance in MN, I would be happy to help you out with a quote or just answer any questions you may have.
Oneluckymom 01:37 PM 10-24-2011
Anyone know of good daycare insurance in Cali?
misspollywog 03:51 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Anyone know of good daycare insurance in Cali?
^^ What she said, except in Idaho?
Tags:insurance
Reply Up